E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

died and idrive says ABS/Braking Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

so it's been a month now since I got my 06 550i and it's been very fun and pleasant. Tragically, something happened today and I was hoping some light could be shed upon this matter from you guys' input.

I was waiting in the parking lot for my sister for about an hour. I turned the engine off and left the radio on for like 15-20 mins and suddenly my iDrive blacked out and my car wouldn't start. The notification light was yellow and says ABS. I turned on iDrive and it shows that "ABS/Braking Malfunctioning". I had my car towed to Crevier tonight.

Would this be a battery issue?

How much is it to replace a battery?

Any other alternative solutions?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Originally Posted by wynnsayz
Hey Guys,

so it's been a month now since I got my 06 550i and it's been very fun and pleasant. Tragically, something happened today and I was hoping some light could be shed upon this matter from you guys' input.

I was waiting in the parking lot for my sister for about an hour. I turned the engine off and left the radio on for like 15-20 mins and suddenly my iDrive blacked out and my car wouldn't start. The notification light was yellow and says ABS. I turned on iDrive and it shows that "ABS/Braking Malfunctioning". I had my car towed to Crevier tonight.

Would this be a battery issue?

How much is it to replace a battery?

Any other alternative solutions?

Thanks

Sounds like your battery is shot. It's about time for a replacement anyway if you still have the original battery from the factory. The battery is about $200 and the dealership will charge a "coding" fee. The error messages will disappear once the new battery is put in. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Members

ouchy. So am I looking at around $500? Can I ask them to update the iDrive software while at it for free?
Old 03-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Members

Just go to Autozone, they have the equivalent specifications of the original battery and it won't need any coding.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Members

Well too late. I didn't know that haha.

Dealer is charging me $585 for new battery and coding the entire car to remove all the warning. Said my oil pump is leaking (I do not know why) but since it's still under CPO warranty, that is covered.

FML. Next time I should just leave the engine on while waiting for someone rather than turning the engine off and leave the radio on for only 15 mins.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wynnsayz
Well too late. I didn't know that haha.

Dealer is charging me $585 for new battery and coding the entire car to remove all the warning. Said my oil pump is leaking (I do not know why) but since it's still under CPO warranty, that is covered.

FML. Next time I should just leave the engine on while waiting for someone rather than turning the engine off and leave the radio on for only 15 mins.
One month into an expensive high end CPO car and the battery craps out ... you should have received, in my opinion, significant financial consideration - NOT a $585 charge - to replace a battery that was probably flat from having the car sit on their lot until it was sold.

Now that you've paid the bill (the horse is out of the barn so to speak) it might be a bit late. But, worth a personal face to face with the service manager. Do you happen to know it the battery replaced was perhaps the original as installed on your '06 when it was new?? That would have already certainly been near the end of its useful life span!!