E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Did you ever run out of gas in your E60?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 01:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

On a trip to the remote North Cape in Norway in my 520d with a caravan in tow, i got into a similar situation 2 years ago. I had seen a gas station for every 15 miles or so for the past 1000 miles and every other gas station was one I had a discount card for so when i was low with about 50 miles of range and saw a gas station i didn't have a discount card for, i pushed on. 35 miles later I was worried as I hadn't yet seen a station and another 10 miles later I unhooked the heavy caravan and left the family behind with a range of about 5 miles on the meter and curved mountain driving on 1.5 lane dual traffic roads without parking or emergency areas. when the range meter hit ----- I was freaking out and went another 5 miles or so, some of it uphill until I found a reststop with other cars where I hitched a ride. The next gas station was another 22 miles away from there... and they had run out of diesel.. the friendly german family that had picked me up took me to another station and then drove me back to my car so it was quite a round trip for them. Anyways, I found that the mileage range indicated on the meter was rather conservative and that there still were some miles left after the ---. Call me crazy, but with a reserve tank on board I've since tested that a couple of times, also in my 535d and driven a few miles beyond --- but I've never run out of fuel.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Originally Posted by diverep
Just replaced mine after 139K miles. $1135.00 installed
I wonder how hard it is to do yourself. That amount sounds insane.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by jayarras
I was curious as to how far you can push the envelope when your fuel display indicates Empty --------- . I had a situation last night where I got down to 1 or 2 miles left to Empty and then the "-------" displayed briefly before going back to 1 as I pulled into the filling station. The car took 17.5 gallons. What exactly is the tank capacity on the E60? Will it run dry before the engine stalls or is there still some "sludge" at the tank bottom (which would be included in any measurement of tank capacity)?
I have been in a situation where I have driven past the miles left on my car, did a few pictures too.

After the miles left meter stopped showing any reading, I started freaking out because it went from 2 to 1 and then stayed at 1 then went back to 2 and then blanked out like it shows in the picture.
I drove the car for 2 miles after the meter stopped showing a reading. I am around gas stations so pulled in and got over 18 gallons of gas, dont exactly remember how much though.

When I was nearing the gas station, I had lost complete hope of actually pulling in and even making it to the pump, but the car did just FINE.
Enjoyed it, will never do it again but in case of emergency I know, I can push it and keep pushing it.
Attached Thumbnails Did you ever run out of gas in your E60?-20101105_003.jpg   Did you ever run out of gas in your E60?-20101105_005.jpg   Did you ever run out of gas in your E60?-20101105_006.jpg  
Old 01-07-2011, 04:40 AM
Contributors

I use the gasbuddy app on my droid .. it gives me (relatively) current gas prices, distance and directions to gas stations (via android/google maps).

Handy if you are traveling in less familiar areas. Don't know if this or similar app is available for use outside of the USA.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:12 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Luxurytax
It would be a big job, not sure if in our cars the fuel pump motor is actually located in the tank as they used to be (some cars now use an inline fuel pump). If it's in the tank you have drain (completely), remove the tank, clear out all gas fumes (it's actually the fumes that are flammable, not the liquid), the remove and replace the pump, reinstall the tank, put fuel in and start her up. It means a lot of work, even for a DIY'er
Old 01-07-2011, 06:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by richark1
Can you explain this? I almost always let it cycle through a full tank. Are there symptoms of a fuel pump on its way out, or does it just stop working?
most fuel pumps in cars are mounted inside the tank, and are immersed in fuel, which helps keep the pump cool. in theory.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

I never knew it could damage the fuel pump, I usually dont go below 30 miles left anyway
Old 01-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luxurytax
It was $659 in labor alone. I was told that it was around a 5 and a half hour job, and that the book calls for 6. The fuel tank has to be removed to do the job. As an aside, I went to go pick it up a couple of days ago and when I got it it back I noticed that the fuel gauge was half full. So I asked the service manager what the deal was I remember it being full when it was towed. He said hat they had tonremove the fuel to work on it, and that perhaps they didn't top it off all the way. So he volunteered to fill it up, however it wouldn't take any more fuel. So now the car is being looked at by another BMW dealer closer to where I live for a possible defective replacement. That and the cabin stinks of fuel.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Originally Posted by TheRacerBoss
I have been in a situation where I have driven past the miles left on my car, did a few pictures too.

After the miles left meter stopped showing any reading, I started freaking out because it went from 2 to 1 and then stayed at 1 then went back to 2 and then blanked out like it shows in the picture.
I drove the car for 2 miles after the meter stopped showing a reading. I am around gas stations so pulled in and got over 18 gallons of gas, dont exactly remember how much though.

When I was nearing the gas station, I had lost complete hope of actually pulling in and even making it to the pump, but the car did just FINE.
Enjoyed it, will never do it again but in case of emergency I know, I can push it and keep pushing it.
holy crap lol
Old 01-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

I always fill up when the car reaches 1/4 tank. I definately never let it get to about 1/8 tank.

Quick Reply: Did you ever run out of gas in your E60?