E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did not get CIP V20 / transmission slam

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 02:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545ia ED May '05

Brought my March '05 production 545i (Steptronic) in yesterday 12/30 for the transmission slamming issue. It happed once in Oct. during a quick braking as I turned into a driveway turn and then again last week during a quick brake, rolling stop sign stop and then acceleration - scared the crap out of my passengers and was a bit embarrassing.

Dropped it off yesterday morning and the SA noted "transmission clunk" even after I explained the well known "slamming" that Internet fans had widely reported. He looked at me like I was an alien. 2 hours later he calls to tell me the tech had driven the car around trying to reproduce the incident. As I cringed at the thought of some guy peeling around in my car doing power slides, I insisted on speaking to the Service Mgr. to push the issue. An hour later an another voicemail message and the SA says that the Shop Mgr. did review the service bulletins and found one pertaining to "customers complaining of harsh downshifts" and even though they were not aware of this problem, that I had complained was enough to cause them to validate my concern and do a CIP software patch.

Besides the dealership making me feel like I was the "problem" and not the car, I ran the software version check that is posted elsewhere on this site (searched on "hidden") and found that I have 19.0 or 05-09-510. There appear to have been 4 updates since that one - 2 of no major value, 1 of significant value/content and then V20 which others posters have noted as being released just yesterday.

A bit surprising that I did not get a more current version. Yes, I realize that if true, the car was in the same day V20 is available but aren't these things available via the Internet? Shouldn?t it therefore be available real-time?

But back to why I'm really pissed - I buy a $60K car, go in for my very first visit since purchase in May and I feel like I'm annoying the dealership with my phantom complaint and then on top, they leave dirt/oil smudge marks on the door arm rest and the door pull!!!! (beige is a b*itch) :thumbsdown:

Anyways, thought I post my first "experience" and wish everyone a very safe and happy New Years!
Old 12-30-2005, 02:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

racefaith, where are you located? I just experienced the same BS service from my BMW dealer Service Dept. as well (NorCal - East Bay)
Old 12-30-2005, 02:48 PM
Members

My Ride: Black on Black 545i Auto, Sport, NAV, Sirius, Cold Weather Wifey drives an X5 4.4 with Sport

My dealer said hat they were aware of the problem, but there was not a fix available.
I now have some ammunition thanks to this site.
I called and asked about the update, and so my oil change will now include the update.
BTW, I love my dealership. No attitude, very helpful. Besides that, it resides next to M-B, so they kiss serious butt sometimes.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I always have the feeling the dealer thinks I am nuts that I dare to complain about all those exotic things...
Old 12-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Members

Freed0m: have you had your problems at East Bay BMW?
Old 12-31-2005, 01:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545ia ED May '05

Originally Posted by freed0m' post='217400
My dealer said hat they were aware of the problem, but there was not a fix available.
I now have some ammunition thanks to this site.
I called and asked about the update, and so my oil change will now include the update.
BTW, I love my dealership. No attitude, very helpful. Besides that, it resides next to M-B, so they kiss serious butt sometimes.

That's BS - as long as you lodge the complaint, they should fix it. Do a search on CIP 20 and you'll find a few postings that have links to the actual latest bulletin. Print the bulletin and a few paragraphs down you'll find the area that speaks to the issue:

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 17.01(Target data Status E060-05-06-500).

1. Vehicles equipped with 6HP26 up to 4/05, customer complains of harsh downshift.

Good luck!
Old 01-01-2006, 02:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by racefaith' post='217395' date='Dec 30 2005, 06:22 PM
Brought my March '05 production 545i (Steptronic) in yesterday 12/30 for the transmission slamming issue. It happed once in Oct. during a quick braking as I turned into a driveway turn and then again last week during a quick brake, rolling stop sign stop and then acceleration - scared the crap out of my passengers and was a bit embarrassing.

Dropped it off yesterday morning and the SA noted "transmission clunk" even after I explained the well known "slamming" that Internet fans had widely reported. He looked at me like I was an alien. 2 hours later he calls to tell me the tech had driven the car around trying to reproduce the incident. As I cringed at the thought of some guy peeling around in my car doing power slides, I insisted on speaking to the Service Mgr. to push the issue. An hour later an another voicemail message and the SA says that the Shop Mgr. did review the service bulletins and found one pertaining to "customers complaining of harsh downshifts" and even though they were not aware of this problem, that I had complained was enough to cause them to validate my concern and do a CIP software patch.

Besides the dealership making me feel like I was the "problem" and not the car, I ran the software version check that is posted elsewhere on this site (searched on "hidden") and found that I have 19.0 or 05-09-510. There appear to have been 4 updates since that one - 2 of no major value, 1 of significant value/content and then V20 which others posters have noted as being released just yesterday.

A bit surprising that I did not get a more current version. Yes, I realize that if true, the car was in the same day V20 is available but aren't these things available via the Internet? Shouldn?t it therefore be available real-time?

But back to why I'm really pissed - I buy a $60K car, go in for my very first visit since purchase in May and I feel like I'm annoying the dealership with my phantom complaint and then on top, they leave dirt/oil smudge marks on the door arm rest and the door pull!!!! (beige is a b*itch) :thumbsdown:

Anyways, thought I post my first "experience" and wish everyone a very safe and happy New Years!
I don't think that 20.x.x is widely, if at all, available in the US--assuming that is where you are.