E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Did any of you dump the RFT on delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 04:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Seems that a lot of you are choosing the get rid of the factory-fit RFT in favour of something with better ride, grip, noise and wear.
Have any of you replaced the RFTs immediately after taking delivery of the car or is the general trend to wait until the 1st set of tyres (RFs) are worn down and then going for normal tyres?

I am wondering if I should just 'bite the bullet' and replace the tyres on taking delivery of the car rather than tolerate the discomfort of RFTs until they wear out eventually. Of course it's a bit of a waste to not get the use of the factory tyres...

Has anyone done this?
Old 01-27-2007, 05:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='384027' date='Jan 27 2007, 01:46 PM
Seems that a lot of you are choosing the get rid of the factory-fit RFT in favour of something with better ride, grip, noise and wear.
Have any of you replaced the RFTs immediately after taking delivery of the car or is the general trend to wait until the 1st set of tyres (RFs) are worn down and then going for normal tyres?

I am wondering if I should just 'bite the bullet' and replace the tyres on taking delivery of the car rather than tolerate the discomfort of RFTs until they wear out eventually. Of course it's a bit of a waste to not get the use of the factory tyres...

Has anyone done this?
I dumped mine at 14k miles - after the dunflaps where useless. To be fair the ride/noise didn't seem too bad for the first few thousand miles but they soon became very harsh... The PS2's never cease to amaze me...

If/When I get another E60 it will have to have normal tyres from the factory or no sale!
Old 01-27-2007, 05:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='384027' date='Jan 27 2007, 01:46 PM
I am wondering if I should just 'bite the bullet' and...
Plenty of other bullets to bite before you get that far. You could always buy the non-RFTs ahead of your e 60 order. Now that WOULD be planning!

As for my case, because I know no better, I am happy with my Eagle NCTs but that may be because the RFT critics like to run bigger wheels and that seems to be when the RFT "critiques" come into play.

Of course there's an element of belonging to a "club" too.

ABC
Old 01-27-2007, 06:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

In my opinion, runflat tires ride fine for the first 10,000 miles. After that, they start to get very noisy.

I replaced my runflats at 18,500 miles, because they had completely worn out. The cords were showing.
If I purchased a new car today, I would probably keep the runflats for 10,000 miles and then replace them with non-runflats.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='384027' date='Jan 27 2007, 08:46 AM

Has anyone done this?
If you are so againest RFT's, which I'm not, as long as your car is new and you didn't put any miles on your RFT's you might want to ask your dealer to swap them out for you. On my 2001 330ci I asked the dealer,JMK, to swap the tires for me because I didn't care for the brand name I was getting on the car. They couldn't do it because I was doing ED and there would be miles on the tires. In your case they probably could do it and you wouldn't have to worry about them damaging your rims because they have the right equipment to make the change. Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 01-27-2007, 07:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by vern' post='384045' date='Jan 27 2007, 03:20 PM
If you are so againest RFT's, which I'm not, as long as your car is new and you didn't put any miles on your RFT's you might want to ask your dealer to swap them out for you. On my 2001 330ci I asked the dealer,JMK, to swap the tires for me because I didn't care for the brand name I was getting on the car. They couldn't do it because I was doing ED and there would be miles on the tires. In your case they probably could do it and you wouldn't have to worry about them damaging your rims because they have the right equipment to make the change.
I am totally against the RFTs (they are unsuitable for Irish roads)... I think the concept is good but the ride quality is horrible.

Do you really think a BMW dealer would agree to change out the factory fitted run-flats? Wouldn't that be kind of admitting something? I think sticking with RFT technology might be a matter of false pride for BMW at this stage.

Anyone anyone on this forum convinced their dealer to do this?
Old 01-27-2007, 07:28 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='384059' date='Jan 27 2007, 04:24 PM
I am totally against the RFTs (they are unsuitable for Irish roads)... I think the concept is good but the ride quality is horrible.

Do you really think a BMW dealer would agree to change out the factory fitted run-flats? Wouldn't that be kind of admitting something? I think sticking with RFT technology might be a matter of false pride for BMW at this stage.

If the dealer will nopt swap them out, it might be an idea to sell then on ebay.

Should be able to get upwards of 50 Euro per tyre with 8mm of tread.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='384059' date='Jan 27 2007, 11:24 AM

You won't know until you give it a try ,will you ? Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 01-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Please see signature

Anyone had any trouble when trading back in a car with non-RFTs on it?

It crossed my mind when I traded in my 2004 530d recently, but at least I had bought the BMW OEM "donut" tyre, jack and wheelbrace kit. I suppose the dealer can look up on the system to see if your car came with RFTs from the factory, and I was half expecting him to try to charge me for a set of tyres with the excuse that "Sir, for safetly reasons we have to return your car to the original spec before we can sell it as an approved used BMW". It didn't happen, but I wonder if anyone else has been challenged in this way?

Of course one way around this is to swap out the RFTs before they are completely worn down, and keep them so you can put them back on the car when you trade it in. Or don't trade it in at a BMW dealer ;-)
Old 01-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Members

I replaced my runflats for winters (5 months after getting the car). I am planning on getting 19s for the summer and putting the runflats on again before I return my lease.

Quick Reply: Did any of you dump the RFT on delivery?