E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detroit News Article on Bangle

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 04:53 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...20365/1121/AUTO
Old 02-22-2006, 05:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Personally, I don't understand the criticism of Bangle. I think his designs are wicked. I loved the 745 design from the first moment I laid eyes on it. I think the entire BMW product line has come along with excellent, innovative and fresh designs which set new standards that other car companies basically follow.

In fact, I prefer the look of the 745 to the newly redisigned 750. I thought the thin taillamps on the trunklid looked better than the newer, fatter ones.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

I find it kind of odd that the auto-hometown press didn't get into the science and wind tunnel testing for noise that these designs are driven by (at least to some degree). That fact was the one new thing that I got out of the BMW DVD that came from NJ aftert I bought the car. It made me feel a bit better about the "butt" but I still can't forgive Bangle for the arrogance of no rub strip/side protection for our doors. That's where design has to stop and reality of parking lots steps in.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 02-22-2006, 07:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='244161' date='Feb 22 2006, 09:36 AM
Personally, I don't understand the criticism of Bangle. I think his designs are wicked. I loved the 745 design from the first moment I laid eyes on it. I think the entire BMW product line has come along with excellent, innovative and fresh designs which set new standards that other car companies basically follow.

In fact, I prefer the look of the 745 to the newly redisigned 750. I thought the thin taillamps on the trunklid looked better than the newer, fatter ones.

I agree with you about Bangle. I think his designs are great. I also agree about the 7. I preferred the old back with the thin strip of red lights across the trunk vs. the new chrome strip. I do however like the new front better. Give me the old back and new front.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='244223' date='Feb 22 2006, 04:14 PM
but I still can't forgive Bangle for the arrogance of no rub strip/side protection for our doors. That's where design has to stop and reality of parking lots steps in.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Hehe, well you definitely don't want to come and drive/park in the UK then. Our parking bays are *tiny*
Old 02-22-2006, 08:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

I will admit that I dod not like the exterior styling of the 745 when it first came out. Even though it is slightly modified now, I still don't think I will buy the 750. For some reason, I just cannot get to like the front turn lights of the 7 even now. The whole body looks, shall we say, stodgy.

In contrast, I fell in love with the E60 the first time I saw it. It seemed aggressive yet elegant and the 'butt' looked great to me.

Looks are subjective...everyone has their likes and dislikes.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:17 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by SolarFactory' post='244230' date='Feb 22 2006, 08:24 AM
I agree with you about Bangle. I think his designs are great. I also agree about the 7. I preferred the old back with the thin strip of red lights across the trunk vs. the new chrome strip. I do however like the new front better. Give me the old back and new front.
Me too. I love the 745's back with LED lights, it's so pretty during night time when the lights are on.
750 is not as eye catching as 745s.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I said this before but I'll say it again.

The worlds autoindustry wants to get to the BMW success.

Just look at this tread!

More copycat cars can be found in Lexus, Acura etc. production line.

What do the envious American and Japanese engineers say...

If I can't do it, I do not like it!
Old 02-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, I did not like 745 when it first came out. Now, I really love it. Especially the rear design. New 750 rear end looks like Lexus ES330 from the distance. It's, in fact, an incomplete rear end design compared to 745.
E60 rear end does not look as good as I expected, especially, the Kia read lamp housing. The front looks fantastic except the Pontiac grill
Old 02-22-2006, 06:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Like many ppl, I thought the 745 looked weird when it first came out. But even though I didn't really like it then, it commanded so much presence when you saw one on the street. Its like that line in the Jadakiss song: "I'm heavy in the streets like a 7 Series Bimmer."

After a while, I got used to the 7 Series, and it started to look cool. I even prefer it to the new 750.

I'm not surprised the industry has criticized Bangle. Most journalists have limited time reviewing cars, therefore they write about their first impressions - which is usually negative towards flame surfacing, iDrive, etc.

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='244223' date='Feb 22 2006, 11:14 AM
but I still can't forgive Bangle for the arrogance of no rub strip/side protection for our doors. That's where design has to stop and reality of parking lots steps in.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
I don't see what the big deal is. Those rubber door moldings are ugly. My Porsche ain't got them. My BMW don't need them either.

Quick Reply: Detroit News Article on Bangle