E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A detail review of Comfort seat.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Before I purchased my car, I test drove one with comfort seat, and then hopped into another car with sport seat right after. The difference is night and day. The sport seat felt rock hard and non-hugging. I immediately added this option to my order.

What I want to know is, if people who have sport seat to chime in, and let us know if you regret not ordering the comfort seat. Or maybe not, is the sport seat adequate?
Old 06-17-2005, 08:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

Well, I went with the sport seats +L cause I was told by the dealer the comfort seats were to soft. I never got to try them. I have nothing bad to say about sport seats, I like the hard feeling. I did ED and drove 1800 miles, seats treated my back great. My passanger 3 other passenger had no complains during long 5hr drives.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

I chose the sports over the comfort seats. I tested both and yes, the comfort seats are nice, but the sports give me exactly what I want. In the two other BMWs I had the seats always start out a little harder than I like, but just like ski boots or expensive leather shoes, the foam does and leather does break in and after 6 months, the seats are great. I find it interesting though my bottom seat extension in the sports seat has leather inbetween the extension and the seat to prevent seeing the black below. I aslo didn't think the cost of the comfort seats was worth it.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:38 AM
Members

I had the sport seats, and they were terrible.... I don't understand why BMW would give you 4 way adjustable lumbar support, and leave the default (minumum) lumbar way out..... with no ability to get rid of it.....

I can't imagine anyway driving with the lumbar in it's fully outward most position.... the rest of your body isn't even touching the seat!
Old 06-17-2005, 08:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Jun 17 2005, 10:19 AM
I find it interesting though my bottom seat extension in the sports seat has leather inbetween the extension and the seat to prevent seeing the black below.? I aslo didn't think the cost of the comfort seats was worth it.
[snapback]140417[/snapback]
Exactly my point. As you can see from the picture below. The gap of this sport seat (I snatched from chrisod in the gallery) has been covered by the same color leather. It looks much more finished.
Attached Thumbnails A detail review of Comfort seat.-sport_seat.jpeg  
Old 06-17-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributors

I love the seats! Best option on the car. Mine are black aswell, so the gap doesn't bother me. No rattle either. I'm about 6 foot 5 and this is the first car I am *really* comfortable in.
We have the option of Executive Leather in the UK, which got the feel you expect. It also comes with the centre armrest covered in leather.
I have the Dakota leather in our X3 and it is not quite right. Seems like plastic more then leather.
Attached Thumbnails A detail review of Comfort seat.-pics_188.jpg  
Old 06-17-2005, 05:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Jun 17 2005, 12:53 PM
I love the seats! Best option on the car. Mine are black aswell, so the gap doesn't bother me. No rattle either. I'm about 6 foot 5 and this is the first car I am *really* comfortable in.
We have the option of Executive Leather in the UK, which got the feel you expect. It also comes with the centre armrest covered in leather.
I have the Dakota leather in our X3 and it is not quite right. Seems like plastic more then leather.
[snapback]140443[/snapback]
Great looking car.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:00 PM
fq1
Members

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jun 15 2005, 11:13 AM
Second, those wonderful head rests make a rattle noise when it's raised, even for just a little bit.? It will go away if you keep it down firmely pressed to the back of the seat.? I think the rails is hitting some plastic retainer inside. I've made complain but the dealer said that it was normal.? Luckly, I am not a tall guy, so the head rest stays down all the time.

Third, the lumbar support pertrudes forward too much, even at its lowest and flattest setting.? This will cause you to be pushed a bit forward and make the seat cushion seem a little short.

Well, thankfully, the forward leg support can be extended to compensate for this, but ironically, this will lead to the worse offense of comfort seats.? As you can see the picture below, the extension will leave a very ugly black gap unlike the covered sport seats.? The gap makes you feel very uncomfortable because your butt will feel the edge of the gap.? It feels like sitting on the edge of a seat with just half of your butt on the chair.? The gap will also catch your pants and itself on the edge part so you'll have to adjust your pants everytime you get into the car. If the gap was covered, this problem should go away.

Do those of you who have comfort seats feel the same way as I do?
[snapback]139743[/snapback]
I have had these seats for more than 3 years, starting with the 745Li -- those also had the massage and cooling features.

No rattle. Never had any issue with the extensions: never caught pants, never felt like just half the butt on the chair. I am more than 6' tall and always have the extensions extended to the max. The only way I can imagine having the half butt feeling is if you slide down significantly.

These are by far the BEST SEATS ON THE MARKET . There are others that LOOK like they might be great but when you sit on them they are not. Cost/price trade-offs-wise, I would give up other options like CWP but get these seats.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Contributors

speedracer must be a boney (as in skinny) guy if he can feel those edges and is pushed too far forward by the lumbar support. I don't have any of the negative complaints he listed except agreeing the leg extension feels less rugged than the rest of the seat.
I am a big person with a long torso. Couldn't fit in BMW's comfortably until new 5 series came out (of couse 7 was good but not fun to drive). Comfort seats help make me comfortable but some adjustments are still not sufficient for me. Standard seats are comfortable for me while sport are not. My body proportions are well out of the norm so I can't expect the seat to be made sufficiently adjustable for me by a major car manufacturer. Head restraint doesn't come close to my head while driving and it is uncomfortable to rest on it. It is set near the top of its travel to center the pad with the head as required. The side bolsters can only be slightly turned in for me before rough roads make my kidneys ache. (I have sport package and love it) Lumbar support helps me in nearly all its positions (I don't keep it in one setting for longer trips).
I guess speedracer and I expected more than is possible from the comfort seats. However, the added cost IMHO is in line with the cost of the car and its other accesories.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

No complaints here, I love them. Extension fully out, no problems.
Very comfortable. No rattles.

Quick Reply: A detail review of Comfort seat.