E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A detail review of Comfort seat.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

If you do a search on "Comfort Seats" in this forum, you'll probably come up with 99% positive comments. Based on these comments and a brief 15 minutes test drive, I was sold. I gave up HUD option and got the comfort seats instead. After living with it for 6 months, here is what I think:

POSITIVE:
The cushion padding is very supple, but supportive. You can drive for hours without fatigue. The best part of comfort seat though, is the upper back articulation. It allows the seat to contour the shape of your back precisely. I don't think there are any other seats that can do this.

Now, the head rest. The suppleness and its ability to fold forward is just amazing. You can really use it as "head rest" rather than just as "head restrain." This feature is particularly useful for your passenger on long trip. No longer their heads have to rest on the B pillar for support.

NEGATIVE:
I started this thread really to help those whom are contemplating with ordering the comfort seats, to get it or not. First, I think $1200 (plus tax) has become a worse value since lumbar support became standard for MY2005. It was, I think a $500 option, so you'd think BMW would drop the comfort seat upgrade by $500. Well they didn't.

Second, those wonderful head rests make a rattle noise when it's raised, even for just a little bit. It will go away if you keep it down firmely pressed to the back of the seat. I think the rails is hitting some plastic retainer inside. I've made complain but the dealer said that it was normal. Luckly, I am not a tall guy, so the head rest stays down all the time.

Third, the lumbar support pertrudes forward too much, even at its lowest and flattest setting. This will cause you to be pushed a bit forward and make the seat cushion seem a little short.

Well, thankfully, the forward leg support can be extended to compensate for this, but ironically, this will lead to the worse offense of comfort seats. As you can see the picture below, the extension will leave a very ugly black gap unlike the covered sport seats. The gap makes you feel very uncomfortable because your butt will feel the edge of the gap. It feels like sitting on the edge of a seat with just half of your butt on the chair. The gap will also catch your pants and itself on the edge part so you'll have to adjust your pants everytime you get into the car. If the gap was covered, this problem should go away.

The picture below shows an extension of about 4" and it looks very fragile. I have it extended about 1" and it supports my leg well.

Do those of you who have comfort seats feel the same way as I do?
Attached Thumbnails A detail review of Comfort seat.-comfort_seat_gap.jpg   A detail review of Comfort seat.-comfort_seat.jpg  
Old 06-15-2005, 08:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jun 15 2005, 09:13 AM
If you do a search on "Comfort Seats" in this forum, you'll probably come up with 99% positive comments.? Based on these comments and a brief 15 minutes test drive, I was sold.? I gave up HUD option and got the comfort seats instead.? After living with it for 6 months, here is what I think:

POSITIVE:
The cushion padding is very supple, but supportive. You can drive for hours without fatigue.? The best part of comfort seat though, is the upper back articulation. It allows the seat to contour the shape of your back precisely.? I don't think there are any other seat that can do this.

Now, the head rest.? The suppleness and its ability to fold forward is just amazing.? You can really use it as "head rest" rather than just as "head restrain."? This feature is particularly useful for your passenger on long trip.? No longer their heads have to rest on the B pillar for support.?

NEGATIVE:
I started this thread really to tell those whom are contemplating with ordering the comfort seats or not.? First, I think $1200 (plus tax) has become a worse value since lumbar support became standard.? It was, I think a $500 option, so you'll think BMW would drop the comfort seat upgrade by $500.? Well they didn't.

Second, those wonderful head rests make a rattle noise when it's raised, even for just a little bit.? It will go away if you keep it down firmely pressed to the back of the seat.? I think the rails is hitting some plastic retainer inside. I've made complain but the dealer said that it was normal.? Luckly, I am not a tall guy, so the head rest stays down all the time.

Third, the lumbar support pertrudes forward too much, even at its lowest and flattest setting.? This will cause you to be pushed a bit forward and make the seat cushion seem a little short.

Well, thankfully, the forward leg support can be extended to compensate for this, but ironically, this will lead to the worse offense of comfort seats.? As you can see the picture below, the extension will leave a very ugly black gap unlike the covered sport seats.? The gap makes you feel very uncomfortable because your butt will feel the edge of the gap.? It feels like sitting on the edge of a seat with just half of your butt on the chair.? The gap will also catch your pants and itself on the edge part so you'll have to adjust your pants everytime you get into the car. If the gap was covered, this problem should go away.

The picture below shows an extension of about 4" and it looks very fragile.? I have it extended about 1" and it supports my leg well.

[snapback]139743[/snapback]
interesting points - I have comfort seats but in black so when the forward leg is extended it doesn't look as obvious as it does in your car with the lighter interior. I also have the headrest rattle but my main issue with my seats is the quality of the leather - mine feels kind of hard, and just doesn't "feel" as good as I had expected it to. They are good seats though - overall I'm glad I got them but they are (now) expensive and maybe it's just me but the leather doesn't seem as as good as it should be.....
Old 06-15-2005, 08:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Perhaps is the dye that they use on black seats. My leather seats feel very soft and supple. My headrests also do not rattle when extended (even when all the way up).
Old 06-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

I love my (black) comfort seats. Especially the adjustable side bolsters. For twisty roads I set them very narrow; for freeway cruising I set them a bit wider. My wife, who is very small (4-foot-10, 80 lb) essentially insisted on my getting them, since they are very comfy for her also.

One of the reasons I got the black seats was to avoid the discontinuity of color when the thigh extension is in use.

As for the quality of the Dakota leather, it's not my favorite feel. But based on previous information it is likely to be durable, which is important for a car I plan to keep for 10+ years. I would be a little concerned about durability of the Nasca leather, which is undeniably plush.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Members

I agree with the first comment...I'm disappointed with the seat extension. I'm a tall guy, so I was happy to see that the seat would come out to support my legs, but it's actually less comfortable...it feels like I'm only half on the chair -- exactly as you said. I don't know what a good solution would be, but for now I just don't extend the seat.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by Scott' date='Jun 15 2005, 11:35 AM
I agree with the first comment...I'm disappointed with the seat extension.? I'm a tall guy, so I was happy to see that the seat would come out to support my legs, but it's actually less comfortable...it feels like I'm only half on the chair -- exactly as you said.? I don't know what a good solution would be, but for now I just don't extend the seat.
[snapback]139768[/snapback]
I actually used an orange towel rolled and stuffed it in the gap. The inconsistency in plushness really made it worse. I also used the wrong key one time and the extender retracted back due to memory setting with the towel in it. Believe me, I almost had an heart attack. I thought I broke it as the extension was making clicking noises while squeezing the juice out of the towel.

I got rid of the towel when the service guy at the dealer thought it looked stupid in a $65000 car. I agree.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:05 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info SpeedracerF4. Good post!
Old 06-15-2005, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' date='Jun 15 2005, 11:22 AM
[quote name='speedracerF4i' date='Jun 15 2005, 09:13 AM']If you do a search on "Comfort Seats" in this forum, you'll probably come up with 99% positive comments.? Based on these comments and a brief 15 minutes test drive, I was sold.? I gave up HUD option and got the comfort seats instead.? After living with it for 6 months, here is what I think:

POSITIVE:
The cushion padding is very supple, but supportive. You can drive for hours without fatigue.? The best part of comfort seat though, is the upper back articulation. It allows the seat to contour the shape of your back precisely.? I don't think there are any other seat that can do this.

Now, the head rest.? The suppleness and its ability to fold forward is just amazing.? You can really use it as "head rest" rather than just as "head restrain."? This feature is particularly useful for your passenger on long trip.? No longer their heads have to rest on the B pillar for support.?

NEGATIVE:
I started this thread really to tell those whom are contemplating with ordering the comfort seats or not.? First, I think $1200 (plus tax) has become a worse value since lumbar support became standard.? It was, I think a $500 option, so you'll think BMW would drop the comfort seat upgrade by $500.? Well they didn't.

Second, those wonderful head rests make a rattle noise when it's raised, even for just a little bit.? It will go away if you keep it down firmely pressed to the back of the seat.? I think the rails is hitting some plastic retainer inside. I've made complain but the dealer said that it was normal.? Luckly, I am not a tall guy, so the head rest stays down all the time.

Third, the lumbar support pertrudes forward too much, even at its lowest and flattest setting.? This will cause you to be pushed a bit forward and make the seat cushion seem a little short.

Well, thankfully, the forward leg support can be extended to compensate for this, but ironically, this will lead to the worse offense of comfort seats.? As you can see the picture below, the extension will leave a very ugly black gap unlike the covered sport seats.? The gap makes you feel very uncomfortable because your butt will feel the edge of the gap.? It feels like sitting on the edge of a seat with just half of your butt on the chair.? The gap will also catch your pants and itself on the edge part so you'll have to adjust your pants everytime you get into the car. If the gap was covered, this problem should go away.

The picture below shows an extension of about 4" and it looks very fragile.? I have it extended about 1" and it supports my leg well.

interesting points - I have comfort seats but in black so when the forward leg is extended it doesn't look as obvious as it does in your car with the lighter interior. I also have the headrest rattle but my main issue with my seats is the quality of the leather - mine feels kind of hard, and just doesn't "feel" as good as I had expected it to. They are good seats though - overall I'm glad I got them but they are (now) expensive and maybe it's just me but the leather doesn't seem as as good as it should be.....
[snapback]139749[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just give the seats some time to break in. My drivers seat feels very soft, but my pass seat which is used 25% of the time is very hard.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d GT, Blue, Beige Dakota Leather, Pro Sat Nav, Interior Lights Pack, Adaptive Lights, Advanced Aircon

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jun 15 2005, 04:13 PM
If you do a search on "Comfort Seats" in this forum, you'll probably come up with 99% positive comments.? Based on these comments and a brief 15 minutes test drive, I was sold.? I gave up HUD option and got the comfort seats instead.? After living with it for 6 months, here is what I think:

POSITIVE:
The cushion padding is very supple, but supportive. You can drive for hours without fatigue.? The best part of comfort seat though, is the upper back articulation. It allows the seat to contour the shape of your back precisely.? I don't think there are any other seats that can do this.

NEGATIVE:
I started this thread really to help those whom are contemplating with ordering the comfort seats, to get it or not.? First, I think $1200 (plus tax) has become a worse value since lumbar support became standard for MY2005.? It was, I think a $500 option, so you'd think BMW would drop the comfort seat upgrade by $500.? Well they didn't.

Good review!

My headrests don't rattle. I have beige leather & the 'gap' is also beige.
Lubmar support (very disappointing) & seat hard to begin with - mine is just breaking in at the moment but initially were quite uncomfortable - probably partly due to messing about with settings until comfortable seating position achieved - takes time.

I have some back pain at the moment & beleive me I am at my most comfortable when sat in the car! - feel supported.

Upper back restraint - incredible.

Cost of Comfort seats can be reduced in UK if already opted for luxury pack.

Overall
Old 06-16-2005, 01:05 PM
NES
Members

Hey everyone! Ive got to be honest, havnt read all the posts in this thread, but wanted to put my 2 cents in... I never purchased comfort seats in any of my past 4 BMWs. I have to say, this is absolutely the best, and I do mean BEST option to date. Add the vent and heated seats and it beats most first class airliners! If your thinking about purchasing, take my recomendation (which doesnt mean much) and go order it!

Quick Reply: A detail review of Comfort seat.