E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Desperately Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Can someone please help me!

Car is an 07 550, the AC/Heat fan is not working. I (me not dealer) changed the blower motor and regulater but it is still not working. I verified that the Blower motor worked without the regulator. Tested the regulator by checking for power coming out the end going to the fan but no power. I changed the regulator with a brand new one but still nothing. That is three regulators, they can't all be bad, right? I check the power coming from the harness and there is a voltage around 11 something.

Does anyone know what could be the problem? I don't know how to test the remote wire, that is the third small wire on the harness going to the regulator. When I test by changing the fan speed I don't get any change in voltage coming out of the main power wires. The climate control panel seems to be working fine, it is fully lighted and works for everythingelse.

The dealer said it should be a straight swap, no software required. I do not want to go to the dealer and I do not want to continue to throw parts at it. 1 blower motor, 2 regulators and a climate control panel on the way.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Members
Senior Members

Really appreciate the help! Well I got it going, it was the climate control panel, even though all the other functions worked and the fan control appeared to work it was not 100%, as soon as I replaced the climate control panel the fan kicked in like a champ.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Members
Senior Members

Old 03-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Although you already fixed it i'm going to throw a little story at you. See I too was in the same shoes not too long ago. I had a "possessed AC" and decided to go try to throw parts at the problem. I replaced the FSU (my old one is up for sale if you know anyone ), the IHKA module and still no dice. Prior to the purchase of these parts I had a "Independent BMW Tech" try to diagnose it. With no luck in fixing the issue and 400 dollars later I decided to take the plunge and go to the dealer for a proper diagnosis($150).

They told me my problem had to do with a faulty right footwell flap actuator which with the help of a fellow forum member I was able to replace. The part cost me $71.

The moral of the story is, had I just paid the dealer for the diagnostic and bought the part I could have turned a $650 dollar repair into a $221 dollar one. As much as we hate these guys...these are the guys that work on BMW's all day long and have lots of experience with issues. Its gonna hurt next time I have to do this but I'll pay the $150 to save myself the headache in the future.

Just my two cents.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MORI3L
Although you already fixed it i'm going to throw a little story at you. See I too was in the same shoes not too long ago. I had a "possessed AC" and decided to go try to throw parts at the problem. I replaced the FSU (my old one is up for sale if you know anyone ), the IHKA module and still no dice. Prior to the purchase of these parts I had a "Independent BMW Tech" try to diagnose it. With no luck in fixing the issue and 400 dollars later I decided to take the plunge and go to the dealer for a proper diagnosis($150).

They told me my problem had to do with a faulty right footwell flap actuator which with the help of a fellow forum member I was able to replace. The part cost me $71.

The moral of the story is, had I just paid the dealer for the diagnostic and bought the part I could have turned a $650 dollar repair into a $221 dollar one. As much as we hate these guys...these are the guys that work on BMW's all day long and have lots of experience with issues. Its gonna hurt next time I have to do this but I'll pay the $150 to save myself the headache in the future.

Just my two cents.
Appreciate your two cents. I agree with you. In my case I already took it to the dealer they told me it was a shot regulator and blower motor. After looking back i think only the motor was shot. They also told me it was just a remove and replace so I knew I could do it by myself. I think I still came out ahead because I would need those parts anyways, with the exception of the extra regulator but I got it for $59 brand new. Beats $163 at dealer.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Just a suggestion....in the title of your message...you might try "07-550i: AC/Heat Fan Not Working"...instead of "Desperately Need Help". That will generally get more repsonses. Glad you go tyour probelm fixed.