E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Design Defects

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I'm going to keep adding my design defects as I think of/recall them. A biggie to me is no dedicated "back button" for the iDrive. There have been so many times it has taken me strange places, particularly through voice control. Sometimes I just want to go back several, even many, "pages" and start over.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I also will add the frequent inability to get software right, including updates that leave the updaters worse off than before one way or another.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='299039' date='Jun 17 2006, 03:54 PM
. A biggie to me is no dedicated "back button" for the iDrive. There have been so many times it has taken me strange places, particularly through voice control. Sometimes I just want to go back several, even many, "pages" and start over.
Don't you have the menu button just under the iDrive knob?
Old 06-17-2006, 10:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='298780' date='Jun 17 2006, 01:31 AM
My son thinks the cup holders are a design flaw - not because they don't hold things (I think that problem is well solved) - but because they block the heating/cooling vents when they are open.
I have cup holders?

The comment about the turn signals is spot on. I don't understand why the indicators are so far off to the sides.

Also, the dash needs to be tilted a little to driver side like in ALL other pervious 5 series. For some reason I keep hitting the left temp knob with my thumb when I move my hand to shift.

NAV... where do I begin? How about for starters... just add back the features that was in the older MkII/MkIII Nav units (e.g., POI search and indicate side of street of destination when arriving).

Cruise... while I'm very happy BMW moved the cruise control back to a VERY intuative stalk (I hated the buttons on the wheel ala E39 and all Japanese cars) I would like to see it moved back to the right hand side of the column. I would like to not flash my head lights when I really wanted to slow down my cruise speed. For some reason I never managed to hit the wipers when it was on the right.

These are design flaws... isn't JDP interested in defects?
Old 06-18-2006, 06:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='299176' date='Jun 18 2006, 01:31 AM
Don't you have the menu button just under the iDrive knob?
Yes, I have the button. But, it doesn't always seem to do the job I want done, but I'll try using it more as a back button and see for sure. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='299183' date='Jun 18 2006, 01:41 AM
I have cup holders?

The comment about the turn signals is spot on. I don't understand why the indicators are so far off to the sides.

Also, the dash needs to be tilted a little to driver side like in ALL other pervious 5 series. For some reason I keep hitting the left temp knob with my thumb when I move my hand to shift.

NAV... where do I begin? How about for starters... just add back the features that was in the older MkII/MkIII Nav units (e.g., POI search and indicate side of street of destination when arriving).

Cruise... while I'm very happy BMW moved the cruise control back to a VERY intuative stalk (I hated the buttons on the wheel ala E39 and all Japanese cars) I would like to see it moved back to the right hand side of the column. I would like to not flash my head lights when I really wanted to slow down my cruise speed. For some reason I never managed to hit the wipers when it was on the right.

These are design flaws... isn't JDP interested in defects?
Yes, JDP is interested in defects. But, BMW took a big hit in the survey this year. Some speculated that the problem is that JDP included design flaws this year for the first time, and it looks like the speculators were right. So, I'm interested in identifying the types of design flaws that likely were noted. I agree with JPD that design defects frequently are as important as, or more important, in many cases, than defects.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='299274' date='Jun 18 2006, 10:45 AM
I agree with JPD that design defects frequently are as important as, or more important, in many cases, than defects.
I agree. However, if JDP is now taking the actual design into consideration I would worry about someone, somewhere taking some ones bad habit and interpreting it as a design flaw. For example, to me the ideal location for the window switches is on the center console. It's safer since small kids can't step on the switch while attempting to peer out the window and thereby trapping them selves. Also, the switch on the center console makes more sense to me as it's near the same area I use to change gears and operate the radio and climate controls. However, since American cars historically had their switches on the door due to the popular use of bench seats in the 50's, 60's and 70's the American public became used to having the switches on the doors. People now see this location as the gold standard. Many kids died and the nice rocker switches we came to love have been redesigned to what we have today in order to keep kids from accidentally trapped. But if BMW were to put the switches back on the center console someone might see that as a design flaw.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

This has all been chewed before, but I added a new one.

Safety and ergonomic:
Increased front exterior wheelwell width severely intrudes on interior footwell width--Causes dead pedal interference with clutch pedal access. Normal wide shoe catches on dead pedal, even with conscious foot positioning. Absolutely unacceptable for the marque that allegedly concentrates on driver ergonomics.

Rearward and lateral vision is horrible. Fat B and C pillars and rear headrests and extreme slant of rear light, plus small exterior mirrors. Adds new definition to "blind spot."

Tabla Rasa for parking lot bashers
Lack of any rub strips (sides as well as F&R) or protective design.

Not everybody drives the Autobahn.
Pathetic low-end torque (545).

Knee contact
Wood-veneer diagonal/structural handle on front door should be padded; or better yet, replaced by a recessed hand grip in the armrest (as E 39) at a better leverage (center) point.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 06-19-2006, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

design flaw...the storage area in the center dash. u accelerate hard and everything u have in there flies out of there!!!!!! it really pisses me off every time!!!!

but i see theyve gotten rid of it on the '07's ... which wasnt the solution cause now theres even less storage space!!!! why not just add a door to the little bin or just tilt it downwards??????
Old 06-19-2006, 07:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pipper' post='299753' date='Jun 19 2006, 11:40 AM
design flaw...the storage area in the center dash. u accelerate hard and everything u have in there flies out of there!!!!!! it really pisses me off every time!!!!

but i see theyve gotten rid of it on the '07's ... which wasnt the solution cause now theres even less storage space!!!! why not just add a door to the little bin or just tilt it downwards??????
The NAV cars don't have it but non-NAV cars have it. And there is a solution for this problem... go easy on the skinny peddal.

Quick Reply: Design Defects