E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Design Defects

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hi All:

Check this thread out. Then, let's list the things we see to be design defects here. Here is what J.D. Powers says about design defects:

"JD Power had to modify their survey this year; incorporating questions about vehicle design into their questionnaire. As a result, they discovered something consumers have known for years: the way in which technology is integrated into new-vehicle design, particularly interior features and controls, is considered by consumers to be as important to quality as are defects and malfunctions."

Here are my "initial" items:

Steptronic:
Downshift to 1st when in M mode.
Do not shift automatically in M mode unless potential damage to the auto is sensed.
Let the car hit the rev limiter, rather than shifting automatically, when the driver goes beyond redline.
Allow manual shifting across the full RPM range when under full throttle.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

My son thinks the cup holders are a design flaw - not because they don't hold things (I think that problem is well solved) - but because they block the heating/cooling vents when they are open. It messes up the air distribution and possibly the temperature of your drink...

I know a lot of people might consider aspects of the I-drive to be a design flaw, but I love the ease of control and the clean dashboard that results (I hate cars that look like jet aeroplane cockpits!)...

Cheers, Jon.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='298780' date='Jun 16 2006, 10:31 PM
My son thinks the cup holders are a design flaw - not because they don't hold things (I think that problem is well solved) - but because they block the heating/cooling vents when they are open. It messes up the air distribution and possibly the temperature of your drink...

I know a lot of people might consider aspects of the I-drive to be a design flaw, but I love the ease of control and the clean dashboard that results (I hate cars that look like jet aeroplane cockpits!)...

Cheers, Jon.
I would agree on the cup holders blocking the air vents.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Senior Members

Cup holders design fault?

THIS is the level of complaint reported to J D Powers?

ABC
Old 06-17-2006, 02:01 AM
Senior Members

Cup holders are a design flaw. Everytime I get in a car with a solid fixed holder - I appreciate it. Some others are -
Trunk button is way out of site and a ridiculous reach - you'd think I was opening the hood.
Inability to see turn signal indicators.
Radio volume control not working while Idrive is booting.
Really - the whole idrive booting - wouldn't be so bad if the stereo worked while it was booting.

I could go on but those are my nearly daily peeves - and as such design flaws IMO.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:20 AM
Senior Members

Non comfort seat head rests ! That tilting angle is a joke, no matter how u adjust it. You cannot rest your head comfortably on it !
Old 06-17-2006, 02:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by iceman316' post='298799' date='Jun 17 2006, 12:39 AM
I would agree on the cup holders blocking the air vents.
Hmm... I actually like it that way cuz I use it to keep my cold drinks....cold...hehe. Maybe Im one of those lucky ones who hasnt got a broken cup holder yet.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:39 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Heated Steering wheel button placement.
Sliding arm rest is pushed back everytime you use the parking brake.
Sliding arm rest height cannot be adjusted in reference to seat.
Coat hanger design is rubbish.
Wiper sweep in RHD cars.
Headlight auto sensor.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:03 AM
Senior Members

Looks like e60 owners have a list of serious complaints.

It seems to warrant BMW being down the list a far as design flaws are concerned.

ABC
Old 06-17-2006, 06:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I sit in the car the way BMW wants me to.

Backrest upright, chair as high as possible, leaving a fist between my head and roof liner. Leg slightly bent at knee when clutch is fully depressed and steering wheel at wrists when hands extended.

I cannot see the directional indicators on the dash without moving my head. Nor can I see the green LED on the light switch.

Major design flaw IMO

Quick Reply: Design Defects