E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Depressing day :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 05:40 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW e60 2005 545i 82k
Default Depressing day :(

So I got the call from the tech at bmw and its bad news! The problem I face is that there is water damage to the DME. Apperently the white housing cover was not on there from previous owner. So I went and checked it out and took some photos for insurance. They estimated it costing at least $8K to be replaced (

Name:  IMAG0128_zpsfd2361b7.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  45.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0129_zpsbafce8af.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  29.3 KB

Name:  IMAG0130_zps88e916a4.jpg
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0132_zps515b096a.jpg
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  IMAG0133_zps41b159e3.jpg
Size:  57.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0134_zps11c627a5.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  59.4 KB
Old 08-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Ouch, I hope you are covered by your insurance company!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:24 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by E60I
Ouch, I hope you are covered by your insurance company!!!
Oh yes! Making the call to begin the process tomorrow morning! Not sure what I want to go with next. I love the E60 style but not the problems that came along with it.

But I feel like I got played from the previous owner.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

8k for a new dme? wtf? can you get a used one?
can the old one be cleaned?

and what happened with the previous owner.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:59 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
8k for a new dme? wtf? can you get a used one?
can the old one be cleaned?

and what happened with the previous owner.
thats what bmw told me earlier for the unit, all new wire harness, programming and all for around 8K. The old one is in bad shape you can tell its had this going on for over a year now.

Im assuming that the previous owner had knowledge of this and offed it without informing me.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:00 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i sport package with Mteck & M5 Rims Mpower

My mechanic can reprogram this for you but I'm located in New York City . My mechanic was the head mechanic for a BMW dealer for 10 years before he open his shop . And I'm 100% he can fix this problem for you but only if you are willing to travel down here .
Old 08-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by kmillzz
thats what bmw told me earlier for the unit, all new wire harness, programming and all for around 8K. The old one is in bad shape you can tell its had this going on for over a year now.

Im assuming that the previous owner had knowledge of this and offed it without informing me.
if insurance is not going to pay, i'd look into getting it done elsewhere for way cheaper. you should be able to clean the harness and reuse them if necessary. they dont look too bad. whereas a dealer will just replace anything questionable.

and what is this white cover? and why was it missing? whats the car's history?
Old 08-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by turboawd
if insurance is not going to pay, i'd look into getting it done elsewhere for way cheaper. you should be able to clean the harness and reuse them if necessary. they dont look too bad. whereas a dealer will just replace anything questionable.

and what is this white cover? and why was it missing? whats the car's history?

From the looks of it, it seems like the E-Box lid was missing (it is under the passenger cabin filter box assembly). The lid keeps water out when the units are not being serviced.

With that much damage, if you are keeping this car, undoubtedly you should check to see if your e-box fan is shot (it keeps the modules cool), and check for water ingress into the interior of the car (be sure under dash and seat modules are undamaged). If you don't replace the wiring looms, be sure the contacts are completely cleaned of corrosion before attempting to replace the DME. Ideally, each affected wire should be resistance-checked (ideally, of course. It would be a pill to do however).

You will need a new IVM, DME, and VVT. If you are good buddies with a quality coder, you should be able to escape this under $2k (Under $1K if you can source compatible parts and do the legwork needed to realign CAS/DME, etc). Best wishes and Good Luck!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:51 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
From the looks of it, it seems like the E-Box lid was missing (it is under the passenger cabin filter box assembly). The lid keeps water out when the units are not being serviced.

With that much damage, if you are keeping this car, undoubtedly you should check to see if your e-box fan is shot (it keeps the modules cool), and check for water ingress into the interior of the car (be sure under dash and seat modules are undamaged). If you don't replace the wiring looms, be sure the contacts are completely cleaned of corrosion before attempting to replace the DME. Ideally, each affected wire should be resistance-checked (ideally, of course. It would be a pill to do however).

You will need a new IVM, DME, and VVT. If you are good buddies with a quality coder, you should be able to escape this under $2k (Under $1K if you can source compatible parts and do the legwork needed to realign CAS/DME, etc). Best wishes and Good Luck!
The E-box lid has been on it since I have owned it because I never removed it. Thought is that the lid was not re-installed properly from the previous owner and with that being said over the year i have owned it has been leaking moisture causing the water damage.

At this point I have contacted my insurance company (Usaa) and filed a claim with them.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Now I'm confused. What were you referring to here: "Apparently the white housing cover was not on there from previous owner"?

USAA is top-notch. They should take care of it but wow.

Quick Reply: Depressing day :(