E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEPRESSED -

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:08 PM
iTy
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do I start.... hmmm... My 07 530i was my first bimmer. It was purchased with the Dunlop RFT's, I never noticed how rough and loud the tires were until time went on.. I did my research or so I thought, and opted to leave the RFT family. My RFT's were brand new in Feb 2010, I drove from DC to NY at least 3 times and DC to NC once a month and DC to FL once and my final voyage was DC to California. I drive 120 miles per day (The right rear Dunlop has been patched once) and I drove them so much that the wire had started to appear. Thus bringing me to make the Michelin purchase. First 10 miles... very quiet... I like. Next 10 miles corners really well another plus... Hop on the 5 headed north... I HATE THEM!!! Why does my car feels as if its swinging / swaying from side to side. BMW had this tire listed as an option / alternate to the RFT. My car comes with a full spare (continental RFT). So what gives? My friends wife has a 3 series, he warned me, but I told him I did the research because she made the exact mistake. She just felt that her road side assistance would be fine if she ever had a flat, but the car started swaying (Different tires too) So they went back to runflats. My fiance warned me as well (I hate when she is right). I dont need three people saying I told you so! Any advice? Any?Or will I have to bite the bullet and purchase the RFT's.PS - My bimmer is normally clean, but its fresh from the tire shop, with 60 miles on those tires.

I dont even like driving my 5 after the trip home...
Attached Thumbnails DEPRESSED --dsc_2004.jpg   DEPRESSED --dsc_2005.jpg   DEPRESSED --dsc_2006.jpg   DEPRESSED --dsc_2008.jpg   DEPRESSED --dsc_2009.jpg  

DEPRESSED --dsc_2010.jpg   DEPRESSED --dsc_2011.jpg   DEPRESSED --dsc_2013.jpg   DEPRESSED --dsc_2015.jpg  
Old 05-04-2011, 08:09 PM
iTy
Members

DEPRESSED --dsc_1994.jpgMichelin PS 2
Attached Thumbnails DEPRESSED --dsc_1994.jpg   DEPRESSED --dsc_1995.jpg   DEPRESSED --dsc_1996.jpg   DEPRESSED --dsc_1997.jpg   DEPRESSED --dsc_1998.jpg  

Old 05-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Contributors

Michelin Pilots are generally thought of and reviewed as the best of the best for most BMW drivers. I personally felt they were both over-rated and over-priced but that's my personal feeling. It's possible that your experience with the new tires is due to a couple of factors. Maybe your dealer has not properly inflated them according to the recommendations on the driver door jamb. Also, is it possible that your wheel alignment needs to be checked? New tires will squirm a bit until the tread blocks get some wear. Lastly, a couple of questions - how many miles on your car? And, is it possible your suspension is worn and contributing to the drifting situation.

In any case the first item (PSI) is something you can check for yourself. The next two probably need a trip to the dealer for inspection and remedy if necessary.

I run conventional UHP all-season tires in the winter months and Bridgestone UHP Summer RFTs on my summer wheels. I do find that the RFTs have a bit of a harder ride and seem to handle a bit more crisply.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-Sport

It seems to me that every time I get new tires (every 20-25K) I have to have them balanced twice before they are right. Maybe the original shop did not balance themn perfectly! I have been told by a shop "You can't feel the difference in a 1/4 oz." At which point I told them, lets go for a drive. Fixed, after the manager balanced them!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

play around with the tire pressures until they feel right. sounds to me like you need a little more air in the rears, but that's just a place to start. I had PS2s for 18k miles and the only time the car swayed was when one of the rears was lower than 38psi cold. I run 39F 40R, but I had 285s in the rear so my numbers may be different than yours.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2007

I have a 2005 545i. I replaced my continental tires with michelin pilot sport as. I found them to be an excellent tire for snow. I live in Mass and we had a pretty snowy winter and I was able to go places that 4-wheel drive trucks had problems. I' driven a couple of long trips and haven't noticed any swaying. These tires also perform quite in the rain.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

New tires tend to have what I call tread squirm...a kind of side to side mushy feel...especially during turns. Give them about 1000 miles and they will start to feel totally different than they do now.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:38 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 530i M Sport N52

i find after weeks of driving on worn out tyres, ostensibly slicks, new tyres always feel like they move a little. i reckon it's just the tread depth. like when you buy new training shoes.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Even some premium tyres do wawing like that. I have 275/30 245/35/20 and the car doesnt wawe at all. Those are not funflat tyres.
When you get new tyres, get vrederstein sessanta rubber. Those are good and not so expensive, and still not chinese bullshit..
Old 05-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New tires = Balance, Drive for a week, Rebalance again!

I had the issue with my new tires had to get it balanced again a week later for it to drive perfect.

Quick Reply: DEPRESSED -