E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Depo tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 03:31 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 550i

Originally Posted by quanger
Good idea, many heads better than one. Thanks for sharing

No problem, glad I could help. I'm a perfectionist so it really bothers me when body lines are off. These taillights are perfectly aligned, unlike the OEM I removed.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:08 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: na

Originally Posted by FaintReality
No problem, glad I could help. I'm a perfectionist so it really bothers me when body lines are off. These taillights are perfectly aligned, unlike the OEM I removed.
More pics please.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:49 PM
Members
Senior Members

Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by audiophool
OK, whatever floats your boat. I have an LCI car already.

For my purposes, I want my brake (yes, brake) lights to operate as BMW intended: to light when I hit the brakes and (hopefully) prevent people from plowing into the back of my car. Beyond that, what other people see when behind me is of no concern at all.

This goes double for the 'modders' who paint their tail lights transparent black (or use tinted film), thus reducing the light output to the point where they can hardly be seen in daylight.

Around here the popo love to ticket for illegal light mods and tints - best to keep a low profile.
It's the whole intention about modding...too turn something standard into your personal preference. The "ricky brake mod" just moves the factory brake lights into the rear fog bulbs which is not used here in the USA. You still get the same function just on a different set of bulbs.

I'm not here to say it's right or wrong and argue with you. If you look at the 3 series e36, the brake lights function very similar too this mod straight from the factory, the whole rear (red section) lights up as parking/on, then only the bulbs closest to the center illuminates on braking.

If it's a safety concern to you, then don't do it, but i'm sure if it was really that bad and people can't see, then BMW would of recalled all the e36 rear brakes. Plus the rear 3rd brake light is untouched, so that meets all of CHMSL requirement of 1986 law.
So this mod is just another personal touch to one's car.
Mod on my BMW brothers....innovate and show me something new.

Last edited by Boost7; 12-24-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:00 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Black on Black, Sport

Just got my lights in today from the USR and they look great, thanks to Quanger for being the first to put the pics of this product I found them a while ago but was skeptical until I saw how great the rods were... Can't wait to put the on once I do I'll post up a few pics on my 545i.
About the headlights unfortunately the ones they have only work on halogen models so if you got the adaptive u can't use them. I talked to lee for USR he said that the ones for xenon models will be out soon 5-7 months.. But once again thanks to everyone for the input and great help..
Old 12-24-2014, 08:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by chuckz545i
Just got my lights in today from the USR and they look great, thanks to Quanger for being the first to put the pics of this product I found them a while ago but was skeptical until I saw how great the rods were... Can't wait to put the on once I do I'll post up a few pics on my 545i.
About the headlights unfortunately the ones they have only work on halogen models so if you got the adaptive u can't use them. I talked to lee for USR he said that the ones for xenon models will be out soon 5-7 months.. But once again thanks to everyone for the input and great help..
Oh ok I was just wondering about the headlights bc I've been asking different places but I'm not getting much other than "sure they will work"
Just get a kit. Naw I'll wait. My car is a 07 550i pre lci. But thanks for the info
Old 12-24-2014, 09:37 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by star69me
I found some depo tail lights on a website called unique style racing "USR" did anyone from the long thread about the Depo lights and the ricky brake affect I think ganger sanji and Boost7 are in the string. Has anyone purchased the Depo tails fom this company?
Originally Posted by Boost7
It's the whole intention about modding...too turn something standard into your personal preference. The "ricky brake mod" just moves the factory brake lights into the rear fog bulbs which is not used here in the USA. You still get the same function just on a different set of bulbs.

I'm not here to say it's right or wrong and argue with you. If you look at the 3 series e36, the brake lights function very similar too this mod straight from the factory, the whole rear (red section) lights up as parking/on, then only the bulbs closest to the center illuminates on braking.

If it's a safety concern to you, then don't do it, but i'm sure if it was really that bad and people can't see, then BMW would of recalled all the e36 rear brakes. Plus the rear 3rd brake light is untouched, so that meets all of CHMSL requirement of 1986 law.
So this mod is just another personal touch to one's car.
Mod on my BMW brothers....innovate and show me something new.
As I said before, 'whatever floats your boat'.

Personalizing vehicles has gone on as long as there have been cars. In the '50s it was a blue dot in the center of the lamp that made them light up purple. Cops would yank you for those back in the day.

But a co-worker of mine had a claim denied for having his tail lights darkened. He got rear ended in broad daylight. That kind of collision usually favours the car in front. He doesn't mod cars anymore...
Old 12-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

That's cool but we aren't really talking about tinted lights window mirrors or any of that. These are tail lights. Anyway I didn't even know my round light in my tail lights didn't light up. WTF with that. Heck yeah gonna mod to get that light on that's bad azz bro so it's all about choice nobody on this site is knocking anyone that leaves their car stock so relax and absorb the creativity or not.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:52 PM
Members
Senior Members

Anyway this is a site full of a bunch of people who for the most part don't even know each other and are trading ideas information suggestions remedies concerns feedom of speech and oh by the ways. It's not facebook twitter or some hookup site. See this is a wonderful thing. Maybe Washington DC should take notes on how to work together... lol thanks guys
Old 12-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 530Xi

Originally Posted by star69me
That's cool but we aren't really talking about tinted lights window mirrors or any of that. These are tail lights. Anyway I didn't even know my round light in my tail lights didn't light up. WTF with that. Heck yeah gonna mod to get that light on that's bad azz bro so it's all about choice nobody on this site is knocking anyone that leaves their car stock so relax and absorb the creativity or not.
The US's spec round (fog) lights do light up when you have the light on, but only with minimal lighting. Euro's spec has them as fog lights so they are brighter when rear fog light is turn on like the front fogs. Beside that option, they are identical to the US's, beside the signal are amber.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Members

I got these depot lights from USR and wanted to exchange them because of seal are uneven towards the edge of the tail lights. There is long black kind of strips towards the edge. It seems like black discoloration. This is at the edge that is supposed to be clear next to the 4 light bulbs as seen in the pictures. I tried to exchange them but denied because " all of their batches have the seal uneven towards the edge of the tail light set. Do you guys have same tail lights conditions. thanks
Attached Thumbnails Depo tail lights-img_1522.jpg   Depo tail lights-img_1523.jpg   Depo tail lights-img_1527.jpg   Depo tail lights-img_1528.jpg  

Last edited by elie7; 12-24-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Depo tail lights