E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Denver Area 545i Owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Got a letter asking if I would be willing to hand over my car for 3 to 5 days to participate in a BMW-sponsored emissions testing program in the Denver area. The purpose is "to evaluate how well the emission system is functioning." Testing involves driving the car "simulating normal driving conditions" on a dyno under BMW direction. They also state they may make repairs, adjustments or replace certain parts using BMW genuine parts and service processes. Compensation includes $250 cash and a free BMW loaner. The offer seems legit, including letters from the testing company and BMW NA.

I am a little nervous about handing over my perfectly running 545. On the other hand, my out-of-warranty car might get a thorough check up at no cost. What do you guys think?
Old 09-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

i'd do it. you never know what kind of list they'll sign you up for maybe more goodies or invitational only events.

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60' post='1016329' date='Sep 24 2009, 06:01 PM
Got a letter asking if I would be willing to hand over my car for 3 to 5 days to participate in a BMW-sponsored emissions testing program in the Denver area. The purpose is "to evaluate how well the emission system is functioning." Testing involves driving the car "simulating normal driving conditions" on a dyno under BMW direction. They also state they may make repairs, adjustments or replace certain parts using BMW genuine parts and service processes. Compensation includes $250 cash and a free BMW loaner. The offer seems legit, including letters from the testing company and BMW NA.

I am a little nervous about handing over my perfectly running 545. On the other hand, my out-of-warranty car might get a thorough check up at no cost. What do you guys think?
Old 09-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i sport, 46k, titanium grey with dakota grey interior, auto stick, all options except HUD

Im a bit nervous about anyone driving my car. Not tapping feet, scratching door sills and overall abusive absent mindness. However they may hook your car up and who knows if they destroy it may give you a new one why not, go for it and let us know
Old 09-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60' post='1016329' date='Sep 24 2009, 09:01 PM

I wouldn't do it if the car is running perfectly. My 05 545 is running perfect and I wouldn't do it.

Who is the "testing company"? If I'm handing my car over it better be to BMW AG employees/engineers not a third party...

Who knows what "normal driving" is. Dyno pulls can be a serious work out on the engine and transmission. My guess... At best they might change your plugs or an O2 sensor. At worst they put in new software that makes a minor improvement in emissions and degrades performance (yes I'm a pessimist and I don't trust anybody.... )