E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dension Gateway 500 or Ipod interface

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 06:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 535i xDrive M-sport

Hi guys,

Fairly new here...I see that a lot of e60 owners are selling their Ipod interface to upgrade for a Dension Gateway 500. I do not see the advantage of spending $200 more and getting less. I have a 2006 525i without navigation, it does play MP3 cds and allows me to sroll through songs on idrive. I am not sure if I have the buisness or professional m-ask. Any info you guys have that will help me make this purchase is appreciated! Right now I am leaning towards the ipod interface. I contacted a Dension Gateway vendor on Ebay and I posted his response below.

THIS KIT WILL allow the driver to play and control iPod and USB music sources through the car?s original audio system. IT WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO NAVIGATE YOUR IPOD THRU IDRIVE NOR PLAY VIDEO. THANKS

ebay link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190380151902
Old 03-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I'm pretty happy w/ my Dension GW500 ... and just like you I don't have NAV ... it gives you control of the iPod & USB connected device(s) (like thumb drive or HD etc) directly via the iDrive and in addition to that you also have choice to have the control on the iPod itself ... no video of course since this is audio input module as you may need additional module (and/or possible programming) to do so plus personally I wouldn't use GW500 for video input.

Use the search and you'll find various member here that installed GW500 and look at the pics of their iPod under control by iDrive. It works the same as the OEM iPod interface just for the iPod ... but in addition it has no song limit, faster browsing then USB & RCA AUX input.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Members

I am just curious....what can I do via idrive with usb ports or rca jacks? Unlimited songs and faster speed is a plus but what can I do with a flash drive or an external hard drive, just play mp3???
Old 03-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Members
Senior Members

Yes ... it's an audio input only ... so it plays mp3 from the USB ... again depend on your objective ... I don't always hookup my iPhone in the car so I use USB since I can update songs faster whenever than my iPhone/iPod and but when I want I can stream Internet radio on the iPhone via GW500, during long distance trip I have a choice of either dedicated iPod, portable HD or thumb drive via USB. But if you only use iPod and only the one that listen to it w/o the need of swap stuff around as you said the OEM iPod is your likely candidate especially from cost point of view.

As for RCA AUX input ... I'm using it for input video input in the near future ... I'm getting a video input module for my M-ASK to hook up front & rear camera and will hookup a media player to play DVD & SD card so the audio feed from it will go to GW500 RCA AUX input 'cuz my OEM AUX in the back console uses mini jack.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Members

Thanks for the input...the DG5 does have its advantages especially if you are using a portable HD for only mp3 storage. The only thing that confuses me is that the Ebay vendor claimed the I will not be able to navigate between songs via idrive. Is the DG5 plug a play or did you have to reprogram at the dealer? What do you think about $454 shipped...
Old 03-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

The seller is pretty much clueless ... when in doubt check Dension website ... and no you have to have the dealer enable the iDrive to see any additional input (same case as CDC, SAT radio and/or AUX input) which pretty much the same for OEM iPod module and I did the physical install myself so the complete kit come w/ various fiber plugs & extra fiber cables so is pretty much piece of cake ... as far as price not sure ... I think some people got at low $400 here at one time.

I got mine here from member FANTASTIC_5 so try to PM him.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Members

I just had the OEM ipod interface dealer installed; it works very well except that I have lost the use of my telephone call button on the steering wheel and console. Also the ipod is not charging. The OEM manual specifically says that it should charge. Back to the dealer next week. Anyone have this problem?
Thanks.
2207 550i Carbon Black, M package, Nav, Logic 7, adaptive headlights
Old 03-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

I would do the DG500. You will get the iPod feature plus other options too.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Members
Senior Members

Well should is a funny word ... what kinda of iPod you have? More than likely if its a newer generation/model you may need an adapter like from Scosche due to re-design of the plug. As far as the call button ... yes take it back to the dealer and have them troubleshoot it maybe the screwed up along the way.

Originally Posted by mschuler
I just had the OEM ipod interface dealer installed; it works very well except that I have lost the use of my telephone call button on the steering wheel and console. Also the ipod is not charging. The OEM manual specifically says that it should charge. Back to the dealer next week. Anyone have this problem?
Thanks.
2207 550i Carbon Black, M package, Nav, Logic 7, adaptive headlights
Old 03-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Jet Black 528i Navigation, heated seats, premium

mschuler, the BMW iPod connector in the glovebox only charges over the firewire pin on the iPod dock connector. These iPods will not charge because they use USB: iPhone 3G/3GS, iPod touch 2nd generation, and Nano 4th and 5th(current) generation.

+1 to the advice of BlaSTiWi, you need the Scosche charging adapter. I saw it at Target yesterday for about $30USD. It allows USB devices to charge over the firewire connection, as found in the BMW iPod adapter. Also, your phone button should not have been affected by an iPod installation. I agree, the dealer needs to fix that.

BTW, BlaSTiWi, what do you think of your BMW iPod adapter? I am really, really thinking about having it installed. Is there really a 250 song limit in certain menus? I keep seeing conflicting information in regards to that issue. I appreciate your advice.

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500 or Ipod interface