E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Decrypting the Service Codes

Old 05-10-2004, 07:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TRUNK RELEASE!!!

gee, wish i had one of those... i have to stop the car and extract the key when the boot is locked (or open by hand if unlocked!)
Old 05-10-2004, 09:32 AM
Contributors

why is there no boot(trunk) release on uk models.????
Old 05-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

why doesn't the passenger mirror tilt down in reverse?
why isn't the standard autoAC not an autoAC?
why doesn't TMC work with busNav?
why are there no lighters in the backseat and no socket in the front passenger side wall?
why don't MP3s play?
why is/apparently will not brake-force display activated in the UK?
why does steptronic never shift to 6th in sport mode?
why don't my folding mirrors fold on lock and hold lock button?
why don't i have a rechargeable torch in the glovebox?

lots of questions, very few answers so far
Old 05-10-2004, 12:50 PM
stu
Members

You can use the button on the key or the button under the boot lip - surely that suffices to open the boot (trunk)? What do they have in the states that's so appealing?
Old 05-10-2004, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

a button that opens the boot, like almost every other car made -- why it is not on the UK 5er is beyond me... i drive a lot in London and doing so, in most cities these days, one is advised to keep the boot locked: a new favourite crime is opening the boot and grabbing whatever is inside (in my case always at least a laptop).

it is, again, not the end of the world, but it is inconvenient to have to stop the engine and remove the key when you just want to doublecheck that you didn't forget to throw the umbrella in the boot...
Old 05-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

skidster,
Can't answer all your questions but possibly can answer two. You probably know about it or tried it anyway.

My mirror tilts on reverse but don't use it that much. Is your side mirror adjustment switch set to the driver side mirror? If set to passenger side the function will not work. This function only works if you have the folding mirror option. Which leads to you other question.

Needs to be activated by dealer according to other posts in this forum.

Requires a software update to activate the BFD. Have asked about this in one of the posts I raised.

I plan to get the BFD and folding mirrors by remote activated when the dealer gets the latest software whenever that us. This reminds me I need to chase them up about this.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by skidster' date='May 10 2004, 02:24 PM
why are there no lighters in the backseat and no socket in the front passenger side wall?
why don't MP3s play?

Here are some answers:

- Passenger mirror tilt down in reverse
Only works when you have seat memory (full electrical seats with M/1/2 buttons on them/when you order the comfort seat you will get them as well). The reason behind this is that your car needs to memorize your mirror position so that it will be able to tilt the mirror back up to its original position. If you have seat memory and it is still not working then make sure that your mirror adjust button is set in the right direction (as already suggested by another member and covered in various other topics as well).

- Standard AC not fully auto
I guess this is/was by design, as reported earlier, newer cars no longer seem to have this problem, I guess that BMW decided to change the standard airco to a real automatic airo in stead of, in best case, a semi-automatic airco.

- TMC with BusNav
New technology and the software/firmware for this to work isn't ready yet. Most likely an update in a couple of months will fix this (not entirely sure about this because there seems to be a lot of confusion about this topic).

- Lighters in the backseat/socket in the front passenger side wall
Where did you heared/read that this would be available? The only thing that I have seen so far is cut-out designed to hold two lighters in the console of the backseat, but I have never seen any lighters installed in them.

- MP3 Support
Isn't ready yet. A software update will fix this. My manual says also that it is in preparation and has some screenshots of it. Please note that you need the Professional radio for this to work.

- BFD
No idea, but all EU cars built since the beginning of this year should have this feature activated.

- Steptronic shift to 6th gear in sport mode
This is by design. The 6th gear is more or less an overdrive. Using it in sports mode wouldn't make sense?

- Folding mirrors with remote
For this to work, you need to have the option auto darkening & folding mirrors and your dealer has to program the appropriate car memory setting for this to work.

- Rechargeable torch
See comments of lighters/socket. Where did you found this information? The manual mentions something about this but it is an option.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JohanDC' date='May 11 2004, 04:32 PM
[quote name='skidster' date='May 10 2004, 02:24 PM'] why doesn't the passenger mirror tilt down in reverse?
why don't MP3s play?

Here are some answers:

Only works when you have seat memory (full electrical seats with M/1/2 buttons on them/when you order the comfort seat you will get them as well). The reason behind this is that your car needs to memorize your mirror position so that it will be able to tilt the mirror back up to its original position. If you have seat memory and it is still not working then make sure that your mirror adjust button is set in the right direction (as already suggested by another member and covered in various other topics as well).

I guess this is/was by design, as reported earlier, newer cars no longer seem to have this problem, I guess that BMW decided to change the standard airco to a real automatic airo in stead of, in best case, a semi-automatic airco.

- TMC with BusNav
New technology and the software/firmware for this to work isn't ready yet. Most likely an update in a couple of months will fix this (not entirely sure about this because there seems to be a lot of confusion about this topic).

Where did you heared/read that this would be available? The only thing that I have seen so far is cut-out designed to hold two lighters in the console of the backseat, but I have never seen any lighters installed in them.

- MP3 Support
Isn't ready yet. A software update will fix this. My manual says also that it is in preparation and has some screenshots of it. Please note that you need the Professional radio for this to work.

- BFD
No idea, but all EU cars built since the beginning of this year should have this feature activated.

- Steptronic shift to 6th gear in sport mode
This is by design. The 6th gear is more or less an overdrive. Using it in sports mode wouldn't make sense?

For this to work, you need to have the option auto darkening & folding mirrors and your dealer has to program the appropriate car memory setting for this to work.

- Rechargeable torch
See comments of lighters/socket. Where did you found this information? The manual mentions something about this but it is an option. [/quote]
assuming that you know from which you speak, thanks for the answers - some of course I was aware of (my list of queries were, in part, rhetorical, in answer to the 'why' question of another poster)

nice to know, would have been nice to know in the sales material... are all BMWs with the tilt-mirror on reverse only also with memory option seats?

still feeling totally screwed on this and expecting something better...

- TMC with BusNav
maybe it well come (same with mp3) --- too bad BMW doesn't just get the act together and simply communicate?

in a photo in the BMW UK 5series brochure for the backseat, both mentioned in another place that, frustratingly, i have not been able to locate - i admit that i inferred their presence since they were a:not listed as an option or part of an options package and b:the options list clearly listed a non-smoker package... i can live without them but

- MP3 Support **Please note that you need the Professional radio for this to work.

assuming the sales material was correct (and that is a leap of faith) then I do have the Prof radio as it comes standard with the BusNav & since i do have the 'all stations' option -- still, it is a pity that BMW doesn't seem to think that I do, according to production records

- BFD
again, may be a dealer / mothership communications issue - pretty poor comms in all, since my local tech has been to Munich for all the training, several times, and is a rather senior guy - but even he doesn't seem to get the info

- Steptronic shift to 6th gear in sport mode (Using it in sports mode wouldn't make sense?) - actually, given that i am driving in sport mode until i get to the motorway at which point, for the most part, i would prefer 6th for the lower revs/better mpg, i would have thought so - i just shift back to drive and back to DS when i want to, so it works of course

i do have the required options (i am rather well-versed with the vehicle and do well understand the concept of dependencies) - in advance of my next service i will ask the dealer to look into what needs to be done and get it done -- cheers for that, but again a shame that the dealer didn't have the same answer

- Rechargeable torch
Where did you found this information? can't remember where i saw it - sorry - but i don't often imagine things so i know it was there and likely the same source as the expectation for the lighter sockets up front and in the rear--- but again, given that there was no mention of a lighting package that included it, and since it was mentioned, i assumed/inferred that it would be there... again not a big deal but if it is an option (just like the * beside AutoFan in the manual for the standard AC) then the option should be detailed and available... then a customer knows that he is not getting it unless ordered / paid for and the expectations are managed the way that a company of the stature of BMW should, with regard to customer care.

cheers again for the answers
Old 05-11-2004, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

No prob, just trying to help.

In regards to your responses, you are abolutely right! I really hope that someday BMW will get their act together for these small things that we have to put up with.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:08 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rechargeable torches are always standard on UK spec BMWs. I had them on my 2 E46s and now my E60 as well.

I have booked my car in for the folding mirrors (its is a Car Memory function). Also hopefully for the BFD too. The service person at the dealer originally said BFD was not possible due to wiring on the 2003 cars. I then mentioned that I read in various places in the internet that its only a software issue. They will now investigate further. Lets hope they get activated!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Decrypting the Service Codes