E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Decreased radius for Remote Doorlock

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its actually the module in the car thats about to go, i had the same problem and the dealer changed it for me and replaced both the keys works miles away now lol.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Big_Scot' post='1012408' date='Sep 20 2009, 03:16 PM
Its actually the module in the car thats about to go, i had the same problem and the dealer changed it for me and replaced both the keys works miles away now lol.
Thanks for that, I thought as much but tried the simple things first.
Looks like I'll be ringing the garage this week and booking it in while it's still under warranty.
Poolie
Old 09-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Big_Scot' post='1012408' date='Sep 20 2009, 03:16 PM
Do you know which module it is? The dealership here is completely clueless.. They said it was the tint on my car causing the issue & its no faults in the system. Basically they cant diagnose the issue until the part fails completely b/c then it would throw and error code. This is my understanding.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 525i

Originally Posted by qas1981' post='1012970' date='Sep 21 2009, 02:57 PM
Do you know which module it is? The dealership here is completely clueless.. They said it was the tint on my car causing the issue & its no faults in the system. Basically they cant diagnose the issue until the part fails completely b/c then it would throw and error code. This is my understanding.
Its called the diversity antenna and its on the rear window of the car on the passenger side on the top. Its about $150 and easy to install. This is the antenna for remote and for the FM/AM radio. I had my FM radio reception go out and this part was replaced, after that my remote distance was terrible. Its easy to replace if you are out of warranty. You might also check if its seated properly on the window. There are spring clips that attached to the "window antenna". The whole assy clips to the window.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ukamath' post='1013283' date='Sep 21 2009, 08:54 PM
Its called the diversity antenna and its on the rear window of the car on the passenger side on the top. Its about $150 and easy to install. This is the antenna for remote and for the FM/AM radio. I had my FM radio reception go out and this part was replaced, after that my remote distance was terrible. Its easy to replace if you are out of warranty. You might also check if its seated properly on the window. There are spring clips that attached to the "window antenna". The whole assy clips to the window.
Do you know how the connection gets from the window to the antenna? Is it hard wired or pull off connectors?
I had a look in this area a couple of days ago, first I removed the cover thats over the high level rear brake light then carefully pulled the roof lining to partially reveal the antenna unit. I seen what you describe as the spring clips but thats as far as I went.
I didnt want to remove the clips and damage any connections between the antenna and the window.
I seem to recall that at the same time my remote started playing up my FM reception was poor (it still works ok but the reception in front of my house was poor).

It would really help me if you could let me know about the connection type so that I can be brave and remove the unit.

Thanks again,

Poolie
Old 09-22-2009, 05:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 525i

Originally Posted by Poolie520' post='1013679' date='Sep 22 2009, 07:54 AM
Do you know how the connection gets from the window to the antenna? Is it hard wired or pull off connectors?
I had a look in this area a couple of days ago, first I removed the cover thats over the high level rear brake light then carefully pulled the roof lining to partially reveal the antenna unit. I seen what you describe as the spring clips but thats as far as I went.
I didnt want to remove the clips and damage any connections between the antenna and the window.
I seem to recall that at the same time my remote started playing up my FM reception was poor (it still works ok but the reception in front of my house was poor).

It would really help me if you could let me know about the connection type so that I can be brave and remove the unit.

Thanks again,

Poolie
Hi,

There are wires that come from from the diversity antenna to a connector that is under the panel with the airbag sign.

So to remove the antenna:

-Pull off the trim piece under the upper brake light, there are no screws, just pull around the edges.
-Remove airbag sign, very easy to scratch the airbag badge as if you have use a screwdriver or knife, maybe plastic tool is better, I had to buy a new one ($3)
-Remove screw under airbag sign (its a torx I forget which size)
-pull of this panel, its just click fit
-you'll see a bunch of 7 small wires to a connector from diversity antenna. Remove this connector, there is also a ground wire screwed into the body in the same location, take torx screw out and remove ground wire.

Be careful when removing the antenna, don't push on the tabs to hard you might break them. This is the most difficult part as you have to pull down the trim and if you pull to much you will probably ruin the roof trim. Before changing the antenna I would re-seat the antenna, maybe just remove it, clean of the contacts and put back on.

There is a antenna on ebay for 65GBP (item 290188712029) however this is only for UK cars as frequency for remote is 434Mhz, USA is 315Mhz and 800Mhz (comfort access). This is printed on the back of your keyfob.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Members

Ive just disconnected the antenna from the window and it made no difference to the range of the remote.
So I guess this proves it. Im going to ring BMW tomorrow to make sure its covered under my UK BMW Approved used car warranty.
Thanks for your help.
Poolie
Old 09-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Members

Im going to give this a shot. Where can I get the US version? from the dealer? 150 is a good price. I just paid 150 for a key that didnt work at all after they assured me it was just the key.. Very frustrating. This of course after they checked the system and verified it wasnt any faults in the system.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Members

Can someone post a pictures of this as well?
Thanks!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by qas1981' post='1014057' date='Sep 22 2009, 02:57 PM
Can someone post a pictures of this as well?
Thanks!
If you open up ebay (uk site) and enter the number from ukamath's post (see below) there is a picture attached.

There is a antenna on ebay for 65GBP (item 290188712029) however this is only for UK cars as frequency for remote is 434Mhz, USA is 315Mhz and 800Mhz (comfort access). This is printed on the back of your keyfob.

Poolie

Quick Reply: Decreased radius for Remote Doorlock