E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decision Time!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 07:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Ok, so I need to choose a new company car this month. I've currently got a Volvo S60 D5 - it's been great - reliable, comfortable, good performance and economical. I could just have the same again, but the 2 litre BMW engine offers unrivalled performance, economy and lower emissions which means less tax in the UK.

So the choice has narrowed to the 320d SE touring or the 520d SE saloon. Cost is broadly the same depending on options added. I've tried both for couple of days and conclusion is:

320 adv - practicality, smaller so easier to use/park etc, more discrete, iPod connection.
320 disadv - seats/ride not as comfortable, diesel more audible in the car, strong performance but seemed rather eager and jumpy.

520 adv - more measured/composed performance (surprisingly good for big car, but weight is actually similar to 320 touring), much more comfortable seats, quieter engine in car, status.
520 disadv - less practical (but v.big boot), rather flash?, bigger so less easy to use (but PDC is great), no ipod connection.

Actually I haven't got an ipod but would like to play mini disc through hifi.

Then colour choice......either one of the silver/grey colours with black interior, or blue (mystic I think as monaco too dark) and biege? And if I choose 520 should I go for artificial leather (leatherette) rather than cloth - seems a good option for only ?150.

Currently thinking of adding Logic 7 (I like my music), sunroof, through loading system, advanced climate control (the basic seemed poor), and prof radio (the business one in the 520 I borrowed wasn't good at holding the FM signal)

Have also considered and ruled out:
Saab - didn't seem very well built - always thought they were.
Audi - had problems with my A6, and engines no match for BMW 2 litre.
Merc - over priced and too slow.

Can anyone help?! All views very welcome.

ps great site, have spent hours reading all the earlier forum messages!

Ashford
Old 01-07-2006, 07:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

So the choise has been done for the E60 520d, that's good, you'll get more car this way
compared to any of your other choises!

Forget about the leatherette, that's only for taxis, it is like sitting on plastic!
The fabric is nice and warmer in the winter time than leather and Anthrazite looks OK.

The Silver Grey is a great looking colour and highly practical too, the dirt will not show on it.

The standard AC works really great, if you are looking to save some ?, here it can be done.

If you are a music lover go for the Logic7 system, but I have to tell you, that the standard
Business BMW radio/CD works and sounds good enough for me.

The sunroof is nice and the through loading system is good to have if you need it.

I would go for the autotransmission!

Good luck!
Old 01-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Hi Ashford,

Hard one to call.

I think the 3 is a little more driver focussed, better (although heavier) steering and I think the brakes are better both in feel and operation. Plus, it is slightly smaller, so psychology wise, is probably easier to drive more energetically. Build and material quality I think is up to the 5 standards.

The 5 is altogether bigger and possibly gains more respect. You can certainly throw it around, otherwise sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. I think thats where is has two personalities.

If u go with the 5er AND stay with the cloth interior, don't go with beige cloth. Water has a habit of dribbling in from the roof when opening the door. And where does it end up?. On to the seat. And when it dries out there is plenty of water stains. Terrible to look at. Might have to clean the seats more regularly. The dark fabric hides that. If u want beige go with leather or leatherette. I previously had beige leather with Silver Grey and thought it was a great combo. The lighter interior shows up the details better and u notice it more when u see two silver-greys together with the light and dark interiors.

In the 5er, the options that hold their value better are Auto, leather and metallic. I think everything else is at different levels of excess that someone else reaps the benefit. Unless the company is paying for everything.
Sunroof? I think it's an excess if u go for the adv air con. Thru load? I know someone who ordered it and doesn't use it because his rods fit in the boot. A waste if not required.

Obviously pick the options that you place value on and u can't really go wrong. I think the extra for the SE over the standard car is worth it and I would recommend changing the run-flat tyres with conventional rubber for (what I would consider as) the substantial increase in ride quality. Obviously lose the run on a puncture facility but hey, whats the ratio of running time in the car against time changing a flat tyre?

I think you are a winner in either case.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 130i, 265 HP, just serious extras

Hey,

I can maybe help with only one thing: if you want to save some money, do not go for the L7. I like music, listen to it in the car, sometimes loud, but still "good". The prof. system is a MUST, hands-off from the business one.

Prof. is great, it really brings out the highs and lows very clear, even real loud, choose some music and test it, turn it up. Its great. L7 is a just a liitle bit better. But not in bass or anything substantial, just generally in DVD?s. Nice, but really not worth the money.

If you "just" like really clear and loud music, radio prof. + hifi speaker sytem it should be. Any more money in speakers I would go for an external supplier solution, not L7.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:16 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

520D.
Take standard wheels with normal tyres. try to strech your budget to Leather. It is essential for resale in the UK market.
Standard radio is fine, sunroof is nice but VERY expensive.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

Coming from the land that makes 1/3 of the cars you mention I feel that I have to answer.

I have tried the new Volvo D5 and it was a blast! It now have 185hp and 400Nm in tourqe and it's w/o chip! I tested a V70N with this D5 and geartronic and it was a positive test after all. The only problem I felt is that the FWD is not making the engine a fair chance to get the power down. The new D5 from Volvo with a 4WD could be a quite fun experience.

I also went to try a Saab TID and I didn't even go out with one. They only make it as a 1.9 with 115hp.

Of course I like the 5-series best and I think the 520D would be a very economical choise and very comfortable one. I pay my cars my self so I went for the most "crazy" one, the 535d. If I had a milit as for a companycar, I think I would have went for a 520d.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Members

Hi Ashford

Snap !!!

I've just changed from a Volvo S60 D5 (after 3 years and 110,000miles) to a 520d Touring in Sport spec. Was a difficult decision due to the superbly comfortable seats in the S60 and the lively performance but after 1 week and 1000 miles my inpressions are

The 520d does not feel as quick but when you watch the speedo it is.(engine is also tight at the moment)
The 520d is much quieter with road noise well supressed
The 520d engine does feel to have a little more vibration probably due to being a 4 cylinder.
Just about found a comfortable driving position but missing those Volvo seats
Much more space in the 520d and it feels bigger
Sport suspension and run flats OK for me (S60 had a sports suspension set up)
BMW standard sound system not as good as Volvo but who cares
Fuel consumption about the same

Overall not really regretting the change & enjoying the lower company car tax

Paul
Old 01-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Welcome to the forum!
I would go for the 520d and the mystic blue with grey/beige/black leather. Some nice equipment are: 17" or 18" wheels, bi-xenon, the extended clima, the Hi-Fi system (very good for the price). Sunroff is nice but expensive. Good luck m8!

Welcome to the forum!
I would go for the 520d and the mystic blue with grey/beige/black leather. Some nice equipment are: 17" or 18" wheels, bi-xenon, the extended clima, the Hi-Fi system (very good for the price). Sunroff is nice but expensive. Good luck m8!
Old 01-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Members

Go for the 520d big time. I've got it and it's great.

Also, the leatherette is good and worth it when it's a company car.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:15 PM
New Members

My Ride: 520d M-Sport
Model Year: 2013

520d

I specced mine as a non-sport model (my personal choice is that the non-sport bodywork is better looking!) but with sport suspension, and the 122 wheel option which is less than ?200 extra. The dealer really didn't believe that auto was going to be a benefit for re-sale on the 520d, due to the potential market for a car that is more frugal than its' bigger engined bretheren. I did however opt for leather.

The leather, sport suspension, wood trim and wheel upgrade all came in at around the same price as a "standard" sport model, ie. ?2000 extra. Go for the BT install if you can stretch to it

Quick Reply: Decision Time!