E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

To Debadge 545i or not

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely an American conversation...

If you take a tour on the Autobahn, you'll see that pretty much every E60 is debadged (and every Benz, Jag, and Skoda for that matter). They come from the factory debadged. Only American's give a damn about engine displacement. Its sort of the my d*** is bigger than yours thing. Debadged or not, all you have to do is look at the tailpipe to determine the displacement IF YOU'RE A REAL ENTHUSIAIST. If you need a badge to say this is what you're driving, you're a shallow prick anyway. You think Montoya has 6.0 on his F1?!?

The premise of this conversation is you want people to see what type of car you're driving. Does that make you feel better about yourself? Does that raise your self esteem? So you paid $19K more for speed that you'll never truly use here in the states.

The machine is engineered to be driven, so shut up and drive!
Old 09-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

I don't need no stinkin' badge...
Old 09-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by Ruf930' post='335915' date='Sep 19 2006, 12:08 AM

If you take a tour on the Autobahn, you'll see that pretty much every E60 is debadged (and every Benz, Jag, and Skoda for that matter). They come from the factory debadged. Only American's give a damn about engine displacement. Its sort of the my d*** is bigger than yours thing. Debadged or not, all you have to do is look at the tailpipe to determine the displacement IF YOU'RE A REAL ENTHUSIAIST. If you need a badge to say this is what you're driving, you're a shallow prick anyway. You think Montoya has 6.0 on his F1?!?

The premise of this conversation is you want people to see what type of car you're driving. Does that make you feel better about yourself? Does that raise your self esteem? So you paid $19K more for speed that you'll never truly use here in the states.

Good point(s)!

But why should Montoya have something that says 6.0 when he's driving a 2.4 according to the regulations?

I'm not so sure that you can determine engine size from the tailpipes, though. All E60 (except 520i / 520d and M5) look the same to me. I'll have to get calipers next and check the few badged models left in the UK...
Old 09-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

The stock exhaust tips on the 545/550 are larger than those on the 525/530. When I drive up to a e60 on the highway at an angle which makes it difficult to read the badge, I can usually tell what model by looking at the tips.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ruf930' post='335915' date='Sep 18 2006, 07:08 PM

I agree Do it! Debadge it!
Old 09-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Members

My Ride: Fully loaded Dinan Tuned E60 545i Sports Sedan, featuring Dinan high flow intake system, Dinan free flow exhaust, Dinan high flow throttle body, Dinan Stage 3 Performance Engine Management Software, Dinan camber plates, Dinan carbon fiber strut tower brace, Dinan 19" lightweight forged wheelset, Dinan/Brembo GT big brake system, Dinan Polished Aluminum Pedal Kit, BMW "M" footrest, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT's, OEM rear deck spoiler, OEM sun/wind deflector, OEM illuminated BMW door sills, debadged (official "Dinan 5 badging"/emblem earned).

Originally Posted by remuse' post='335833' date='Sep 18 2006, 02:24 PM
Hi All,

I was also considering having them debadge my 545i while it is at the dealer.

Just curious what others opinions are of a debadged 545i. Initially, I didn't want to debadge it; however, after seeing a few debadged E60 in person it looks great! Also, I think it gives it that very clean look. Thanks in advance!
I went the debadged route because it's very clean and classy looking. Ultimately though, it's a matter of personal taste. Either way, you can't go wrong though. It's a 5er!!!

BEST REGARDS,
Old 09-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by Ruf930' post='335915' date='Sep 18 2006, 07:08 PM

I completely disagree. We need big engines in US much more than they need them in Europe. It is not about speed. It is about acceleration. When you drive in Europe you are mostly surrounded by cheap European and Korean junk. There is no 3.5 liter Camry or Lexus IS in Europe. There is no Acura TL or G35. Not to mention Cadillacs and Town Cars with their big V8s. A car like BMW 520 may feel adequate in Europe but would embarrass its owner in US. Any car can go 120 mph but not any can get to 100 mph in 12 sec. I would never spend $65K on a car nowing that it is slower that $22K Camry.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

I debadged purely for the looks....I could care less of people tought I debaged because I have a 525. Since I've debadged I get confused for a 3 series more than a 525
Old 09-19-2006, 06:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='335984' date='Sep 18 2006, 11:15 PM
I completely disagree. We need big engines in US much more than they need them in Europe. It is not about speed. It is about acceleration. When you drive in Europe you are mostly surrounded by cheap European and Korean junk. There is no 3.5 liter Camry or Lexus IS in Europe. There is no Acura TL or G35. Not to mention Cadillacs and Town Cars with their big V8s. A car like BMW 520 may feel adequate in Europe but would embarrass its owner in US. Any car can go 120 mph but not any can get to 100 mph in 12 sec. I would never spend $65K on a car nowing that it is slower that $22K Camry.
Have you ever been to Europe?

You can't run a car with a 3.5 litre V8 in most of Europe, unless you're very wealthy. In the UK, petrol is ~?1 per litre. That's $7 per US gallon. If that doesn't get you, punitive taxes based on Co2 emissions will.

WRT acceleration; are you seriously suggesting a Cadillac or Town car could out-drag a 1.9 litre turbocharged diesel Skoda?

I hope you're posting with your tongue firmly in your cheek, otherwise you come across as a fool.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by shiny' post='336155' date='Sep 19 2006, 08:39 AM
I hope you're posting with your tongue firmly in your cheek, otherwise you come across as a fool.

Ouch!

Quick Reply: To Debadge 545i or not