E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dealership says BMW recommends to replace rotors when replacing brake

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pjinca
Do it yourself, save major cash and be happy with it. I had my front pads and the rear rotors and pads under maintenance warranty for free.
Almost wish I didn't. Soon after they replaced my front pads I got the Hawk HPS from Michael (acuteperformance), I am MUCH happier with those than the OEM pads. The OEM pads sqeak and produce TONS of dust!!! Then I got the rear pads and rotors replaced under warranty and still have the OEM on the rear, they squeal like a stuck pig.

When replacing yourself a little advice:
1) Get a brake rotor tool that makes it easier for you to push the piston in the rotor back in (got mine at Sears for about $3)
2) ALWAYS clean the rotors before mounting, they come with an greasy anti-rust coating for shipping.
3) remove the cap to your brake reservoir and put a paper towel or a CLEAN rag over the hole. When you push the piston back in you force fluid back into the reservoir and it can leak out (which is REALLY bad for the painted parts of your engine bay).

As for the bedding process - it's difference when you are using performance brakes like the Hawks as opposed to OEM brakes. I went to an industrial area near my house, did 12-14 runs of 10mph-60mph-10mph. The keys to note are: 1) NEVER let the car come to a full stop, 2) Keep doing it until you smell the brakes and they start to fade a little. This means the "bed-in" coating on the pads has burned off and they have left a nice coat on the rotors and you are good to drive as normal.

Follow the tips and the video and you should be good to go, good luck
Hey pjinca! Thanks for the advice and the tips! Lots of good info there!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I complained about my front brakes squealing a few months ago even though iDrive said I had 16k miles until service. Dealership replaced pads and rotors without question.

If you aren't the original owner of the car and this is the first time for a brake service, I'd lean toward new pads and rotors for peace of mind.

The right sized C-clamp is also effective at pushing the brake piston back into the caliper to make room for new pads.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

At 73K miles, I'd go ahead and replace the rotors as well
Go w/ aftermarket rotors. Not worth OEM stuffs especially doing it at local BMW stealership.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pukka
I complained about my front brakes squealing a few months ago even though iDrive said I had 16k miles until service. Dealership replaced pads and rotors without question.

If you aren't the original owner of the car and this is the first time for a brake service, I'd lean toward new pads and rotors for peace of mind.

The right sized C-clamp is also effective at pushing the brake piston back into the caliper to make room for new pads.
Yep, I'm not the original owner and I believe that this is the first break service. I don't remember seeing anything about brake service in the maintenance docs when I bought this CPO'ed car.

I'll take your advice and go ahead and replace the rotors as well, just for peace of mind and save the hassle of having to do it later. Thanks!

And thanks to everyone for the great info on here!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Members

I didn't replace the rotors, I just installed all new pads.

Mistake I made : I didn't replace the sensors ( stupid )

If you don't replace the sonsors then you can't clear the Brake code off the dash.

It's VERY easy to replace the sensors, they just plug in.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Senior Members

Is it wise to just replace the rotors and replace the pads later on when I need them? Also, what is the biggest rotors we can fit with the stock calipers/pads? Looking for something drilled and slotted.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:58 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

NEVER replace the rotors unless you replace the pads as well.

New pads and old rotors are ok, old pads and new rotors are not, high spots on the old pads will cause localised heating on the new rotors and warp them. In addition, parts of the pad will not touch the new rotors, reducing braking power considerably.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

Good to know thanks sir!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

I asked the dealer to only replace rear pads and they did it without question. No need to replace rotors if they are not warn out or warped.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Members

How about if your rotors are 22.5mmm? So dealer will change the pads only but after 6 months would they change the rotors only because by that time it will be below 22.4 but still long ways on the pads. my 2cents

Quick Reply: Dealership says BMW recommends to replace rotors when replacing brake