E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dealership Ipod Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I bring my '06 530xi to the dealership on Wed to get the Ipod setup (input in the glovebox, fully integrated w/ steering hand controls etc...). Wed night rep tells me they were jammed up and would complete on Thurs. Thurs he tells me that the car has a brake recall and their installing new brakes, but entire job would be done early Fri. Fri afternoon I go to pick up and he tells me that the car's computer "failed" the Ipod software install 3 times and that they were trying for a 4th time while I was there. He showed me the car and the tech said it was going to take 4 more hours for the software to completely install. Now I'm waiting until Monday to get the car. I asked if it was a problem w/ the car's computer and the rep said, nope, some cars are more "fickle" than others and just takes this long sometimes... Anyone out there have a similar problem and have ANY idea why this is happening and if I should worry about the car's computer?
Thanks.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Contributors

I think most people will agree that this is a know issue. Sometimes components crash detrimentally during these updates and need to be replaced (hopefully under warranty). But this is not something I would stay up at night over - I have heard that it is normal for the software to take hours to load - but I personally would question the experience of the tech.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Members

Thanks for the quick response! I figured that it might be somewhat common b/c I'm pretty sure the car computer was never updated, unless they did it w/o telling me. If something did go wrong, its definitely covered under warranty, I'd just like them to tell me... Not sure if they're hiding it from me, but I can't imagine why they would... I wasn't too worried, I just don't want to deal w/ future problems if the Ipod integration is going to botch up the computer. I'll drop the Ipod idea if I have to keep the car computer in good shape... But thanks again for the knowledge, I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by iCharles' post='770012' date='Jan 16 2009, 11:22 PM
I think most people will agree that this is a know issue. Sometimes components crash detrimentally during these updates and need to be replaced (hopefully under warranty). But this is not something I would stay up at night over - I have heard that it is normal for the software to take hours to load - but I personally would question the experience of the tech.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d M Sport Carbon Black Black leather Interior Sept 2006

Originally Posted by willo100' post='770001' date='Jan 17 2009, 04:03 AM
So I bring my '06 530xi to the dealership on Wed to get the Ipod setup (input in the glovebox, fully integrated w/ steering hand controls etc...). Wed night rep tells me they were jammed up and would complete on Thurs. Thurs he tells me that the car has a brake recall and their installing new brakes, but entire job would be done early Fri. Fri afternoon I go to pick up and he tells me that the car's computer "failed" the Ipod software install 3 times and that they were trying for a 4th time while I was there. He showed me the car and the tech said it was going to take 4 more hours for the software to completely install. Now I'm waiting until Monday to get the car. I asked if it was a problem w/ the car's computer and the rep said, nope, some cars are more "fickle" than others and just takes this long sometimes... Anyone out there have a similar problem and have ANY idea why this is happening and if I should worry about the car's computer?
Thanks.

Hi,
I have a ipod fitted by Edinburgh BMW.When a asked for a quote i was told it would take 4 hours to code and 2 hours to install the kit.
They had to do some warranty work 'track rod ends and a KDS' and at the same time i asked them to fit a ipod kit. The software update didn't take and it took them 2 days to sort it. I think they have a lot of problems with coding. In the end they sorted it

hope you got it sorted
Old 01-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Contributors

system crashes sometimes and when that happens they have to restart the progamming all over it could happen 3-4 times
Old 01-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same car as you and I'm also going in for an Ipod install next week. I hope I don't have the same problems as well but it doesn't sound good (no pun intended ).

BTW, what is the brake recall all about? I wonder if mine will have to be replaced too.

Keep us updated on how it turns out.