E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dealer's CPO cost

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006 | 02:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the cost is for a dealer to "CPO" a car? I think I read somewhere that it's about $1500. Can anyone confirm, or know different? TIA
Old 04-26-2006 | 04:06 PM
Members

I just went though this recently on my 2003 M5. CPO is normally only done by the dealer on a car that the dealer purchased or took in as a trade. The price varies based on the vehicle model plus costs after an inspection of any items that need to be repaired or fixed. If you purchase a used BMW and want a CPO you will most likely not be able to get it. I have heard some dealers have done CPOs for good customers but this is not done as a normal part of business.

Now if you are the original owner you can get what BMW calls an extended new car warranty. This is essentially the same thing as the CPO. Covers all the same areas plus a few more. You have to meet some criterial to get the extention. 1. Must be original owner. 2. Still within the new car warranty period for time and mileage (4 years, 50k miles). The extension is for two additional years and 50,000 additional miles. MSRP from BMW NA for a 2003 M5 was a whopping $3750! Good Luck
Old 04-26-2006 | 04:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by wnfield' post='274546' date='Apr 26 2006, 05:06 PM
I just went though this recently on my 2003 M5. CPO is normally only done by the dealer on a car that the dealer purchased or took in as a trade. The price varies based on the vehicle model plus costs after an inspection of any items that need to be repaired or fixed. If you purchase a used BMW and want a CPO you will most likely not be able to get it. I have heard some dealers have done CPOs for good customers but this is not done as a normal part of business.

Now if you are the original owner you can get what BMW calls an extended new car warranty. This is essentially the same thing as the CPO. Covers all the same areas plus a few more. You have to meet some criterial to get the extention. 1. Must be original owner. 2. Still within the new car warranty period for time and mileage (4 years, 50k miles). The extension is for two additional years and 50,000 additional miles. MSRP from BMW NA for a 2003 M5 was a whopping $3750! Good Luck
Thanks for the info......I have an 04 530 I'm selling, and I'm just interested in knowing what it costs the dealer to CPO a car.....in other words, if I decide to trade in, I want to know what his cost will be to CPO so I can bargain from a better position...knowing his costs and what he can ultimately list the car for.
Old 04-26-2006 | 04:26 PM
Members

Glad to provide the info. You can call BMW NA customer service. Very friendly bunch everytime I called. They gave me the extended warranty info and CPO info as well. They told me dealers can charge different amounts for CPO. I recently sold my 03 M5 since the trade in value they quoted was too low. I was suprized when it sold in < 2 weeks. I got ~$6k more over the trade in value. The buyer was interested in CPO. Once I told him the price on the extended warranty he decided not to have me purchase it. I only had 17k miles on the M5 when I sold it. A real garage queen.

BTW; I like your choice in color. I currently have a Ti Gray 550i on order too! It is in assembly right now. At least yours is already on the boat.

Also noticed you live in SLO. Go Cal Poly! Class '83
Old 04-26-2006 | 04:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wnfield' post='274560' date='Apr 26 2006, 05:26 PM
Glad to provide the info. You can call BMW NA customer service. Very friendly bunch everytime I called. They gave me the extended warranty info and CPO info as well. They told me dealers can charge different amounts for CPO. I recently sold my 03 M5 since the trade in value they quoted was too low. I was suprized when it sold in < 2 weeks. I got ~$6k more over the trade in value. The buyer was interested in CPO. Once I told him the price on the extended warranty he decided not to have me purchase it. I only had 17k miles on the M5 when I sold it. A real garage queen.

BTW; I like your choice in color. I currently have a Ti Gray 550i on order too! It is in assembly right now. At least yours is already on the boat.
Thanks again!! And, my car is no longer on the boat, it's on the ground at the Oxnard VPC on the west coast!! I'm close to delivery!!