E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dealer sold me a 530i that has been in an accident :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I purchased a used vehicle (2007 530i with 22K miles) on eBay and the used car dealer (Infiniti Dealership) claimed it had "no known accidents" and the carfax came out clean. I know that the carfax is not the be all end all, but I thought it was a good start. I take my car in to the BMW dealership for it's required service and to update the Progman. I also asked them to take a look at the right headlight (xenons) because I noticed it was pointing to the right and was not aligned properly. The SA calls me back and asks if it was ever in a wreck. I told him no. Then he calls back and says there is some good indications (headlight installed improperly, dust in the paint job, etc..) that this vehicle had some front damage and that the headlight would not be covered under warranty because the body shop who repaired the front damage did not install it properly.

I call the dealer who sold it to me and said that I should argue that it should be covered under warranty because it was not in an accident. I need some advice here...who should I push the issue with? The dealer who sold it to me or BMW service?

Thanks guys.

Doc
Old 06-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

First off, welcome to E60.net! Please update your location in your profile so we know from where you reside.

You are going to have to find someone unbiased to determine whether there was indeed damage or not.

Start by examining your sales contract for specific language re: the condition of the car you purchased. You might not find much to be able to charge your original seller with deception or fraud, but it's a start. Either way, you are probably stuck with it. If only the headlight is the issue (which can be fixed rather easily I would assume) and some paint, it might not be a big deal.

I'd want to know more details about what your BMW dealership meant by "installed wrong." If the aim is just off, easy fix. If it's more than that, find out what the problem is. He talks about it not being covered...what exactly isn't covered? Is it broken and can't be fixed?
Old 06-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since its under warranty the dealership should still fix it under warranty. Did Carfax guarntee it?? I thought they had some system they'd buy back your car if there info. was wrong as long as it fell into there rules. If the dealer won't budge I'd try taking it to another dealer.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='598076' date='Jun 7 2008, 09:09 PM
You are going to have to find someone unbiased to determine whether there was indeed damage or not.

Start by examining your sales contract for specific language re: the condition of the car you purchased. You might not find much to be able to charge your original seller with deception or fraud, but it's a start. Either way, you are probably stuck with it. If only the headlight is the issue (which can be fixed rather easily I would assume) and some paint, it might not be a big deal.
Thanks Doc! I'm just surprised the BMW Dealership is not willing to fix it since it is only a wiring issue I believe. It's not like they are getting more money by me paying out of pocket versus it being covered by warranty.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='598077' date='Jun 7 2008, 10:11 PM
If the dealer won't budge I'd try taking it to another dealer.
That's a good plan...keep trying around, see who notices and doesn't. You might get lucky.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='598077' date='Jun 7 2008, 09:11 PM
Since its under warranty the dealership should still fix it under warranty. Did Carfax guarntee it?? I thought they had some system they'd buy back your car if there info. was wrong as long as it fell into there rules. If the dealer won't budge I'd try taking it to another dealer.
Hmmm, that's a good point. I'll read up on the Carfax policy. Thanks Sky. Regarding the warranty, the SA said since it was not repaired by an authorized BMW body shop that it was not covered. I guess if an authorized BMW body shop repairs it, it shows up in the system.

Doc
Old 06-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='598076' date='Jun 7 2008, 09:09 PM
I'd want to know more details about what your BMW dealership meant by "installed wrong." If the aim is just off, easy fix. If it's more than that, find out what the problem is. He talks about it not being covered...what exactly isn't covered? Is it broken and can't be fixed?
The SA said that the headlight is not responding to the adaptive controls which is why it is stuck pointing to the right. He said the bodyshop who did the work did not install the headlight properly (wiring, alignment, programming etc..). He said he is 75% sure that the software update would fix it. I called them around closing time on Friday and the car was still hooked up to the computer. He said that since this car has plenty of options, it takes a while for the software to update. So he said he should have it ready by Monday. If the software update doesnt fix the problem, the repair would have to be "customer pay". According to him, since it was not repaired by an authorized BMW body shop, it is not covered under warranty. I am not sure how they would know if it was not repaired by BMW. I'm assuming it shows up in their system if it was.

I'll post updates on Monday or Tuesday.

Regards,
Doc
Old 06-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i- Titanium Gray

If you want to pm me your vin I will run a scan on autocheck for you (I have an account). We use this on auction cars and if it was reported at all will show up.

Jake

Originally Posted by doclionel' post='598098' date='Jun 7 2008, 09:46 PM
The SA said that the headlight is not responding to the adaptive controls which is why it is stuck pointing to the right. He said the bodyshop who did the work did not install the headlight properly (wiring, alignment, programming etc..). He said he is 75% sure that the software update would fix it. I called them around closing time on Friday and the car was still hooked up to the computer. He said that since this car has plenty of options, it takes a while for the software to update. So he said he should have it ready by Monday. If the software update doesnt fix the problem, the repair would have to be "customer pay". According to him, since it was not repaired by an authorized BMW body shop, it is not covered under warranty. I am not sure how they would know if it was not repaired by BMW. I'm assuming it shows up in their system if it was.

I'll post updates on Monday or Tuesday.

Regards,
Doc
Old 06-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jdhart73' post='598108' date='Jun 7 2008, 10:02 PM
If you want to pm me your vin I will run a scan on autocheck for you (I have an account). We use this on auction cars and if it was reported at all will show up.

Jake
PM Sent...Thanks Jake.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 Chevy 3500 DRW: 7" lift, 35" tires, PPE stage 7, MBRP turbo-back, back-up camera, trac bars, Bilsteins. Pine air freshener.

Originally Posted by doclionel' post='598068' date='Jun 7 2008, 09:01 PM
So I purchased a used vehicle (2007 530i with 22K miles) on eBay and the used car dealer (Infiniti Dealership) claimed it had "no known accidents" and the carfax came out clean. I know that the carfax is not the be all end all, but I thought it was a good start. I take my car in to the BMW dealership for it's required service and to update the Progman. I also asked them to take a look at the right headlight (xenons) because I noticed it was pointing to the right and was not aligned properly. The SA calls me back and asks if it was ever in a wreck. I told him no. Then he calls back and says there is some good indications (headlight installed improperly, dust in the paint job, etc..) that this vehicle had some front damage and that the headlight would not be covered under warranty because the body shop who repaired the front damage did not install it properly.

I call the dealer who sold it to me and said that I should argue that it should be covered under warranty because it was not in an accident. I need some advice here...who should I push the issue with? The dealer who sold it to me or BMW service?

Thanks guys.

Doc
Here in California, it's mandated that all the used vehicles sold be dealer be "Safety'd". This means that all lights must be in working order, and brakes/tires must be within spec. A defective headlight would be the responsibility of the selling dealer. Might wanna check the laws of the state you purchased it in, in regards to what the dealer is responsible for there.
In regards to the vehicle having repaired body damage.. I've never heard of a state that requires it's dealers to disclose this on their used vehicles. Salvage, lemon-law buyback, prior taxi, police, yeah. I hear even prior rentals now, but not a vehicle that's simply had some body damage repaired.
If you bought it on e-bay, you can always leave feedback detailing what you've found on the vehicle. Might help someone else down the road.
Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: Dealer sold me a 530i that has been in an accident :(