E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dealer said they couldn't duplicate the problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 06:14 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I brought my car in because there was a knock in the steering and I got the car back a day later and they said they couldn't duplicate the problem. My warranty expires in 15 days and I want to get it fixed. What can I do to show them there really is a knock in the steering? Maybe a test drive or is there another way of showing them?

The car is CPO and I am not sure if it is covered under CPO warranty.

Thank you

-Krozi
Old 12-28-2008, 06:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Of course they said that... That is in the dealers creed... Exerpt: "I will save BMW time and money by saying I could not duplicate the problem as much as I can. I will vowe not to read any of BMW service guides so as to appear ignorant..." You know the rest

Tonymac
Old 12-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by tonymac' post='754170' date='Dec 28 2008, 10:16 AM
Of course they said that... That is in the dealers creed... Exerpt: "I will save BMW time and money by saying I could not duplicate the problem as much as I can. I will vowe not to read any of BMW service guides so as to appear ignorant..." You know the rest

Tonymac
That is very true. When you work at a BMW dealership you probably get a laminated card of phrases that you can use to prevent the fixing of a problem.

Well there is only one problem though. When I try to get the knock in the steering I can't even duplicate it. When I drive normally it comes every day but when I try the knock doesn't show up.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='754169' date='Dec 28 2008, 05:14 PM
I brought my car in because there was a knock in the steering and I got the car back a day later and they said they couldn't duplicate the problem. My warranty expires in 15 days and I want to get it fixed. What can I do to show them there really is a knock in the steering? Maybe a test drive or is there another way of showing them?
The car is CPO and I am not sure if it is covered under CPO warranty.
Thank you
-Krozi
The "knock on the steering" is in my meaning a loose front end, that is very common on any BMW.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Contributors

All I have to figure out is how to make the dealer understand that.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: I have an 05 545i. It's a manual with a few options. This is my first BMW but I don't know how I'll ever be able to switch to something else.

Yup, sounds like the infamous mechanic quote "cannot duplicate problem". I would ask to talk to the Service Manager and take the car out for a ride with him and personally show him the problem.
I had to do this recently with a vibration coming from unbalanced wheels at speeds up to 75, but went away once i hit ~90. The dealer said they couldn't reproduce the problem and that the mechanics are not suppose to take the car up that fast. IT'S A BMW, do they think people are going to drive the speed limit in it everywhere?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Members

Amazing but typical, get the service manager in the car and run the part of your route that induces the problem - speed bumps, curves, stop and go - as the mechanics run a prescribed course - around the dealership and that's it.... or they give it the "sunshine" tretment and say CNR...

It really helps if you can figure out what induces it sawhorsing, bottoming out, crowned road, something that will give a high probability of happening.

I had Audi tell me that they CNR a casting defect in the windshield - all you had to do is look at an angle through the windshield at a tree or pole and you got an "L" in a silver dollar size spot - I had grease penciled the spot for the SA, and when they gave it back to me it was clean and shiny but not fixed.

I took the mechanic made him sit and look at me through the spot - what a silly grin then...
Old 01-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i M package

they allways tell you the same BS .. I had a noise on my steering column, when I turn off the car and the steering goes up you can hear a big knock, last time I took the car for that problem, they told me that my active steering was low on fluid.. but on the paper it doesnt say that they add oil or anything.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by solrac6262' post='757559' date='Jan 2 2009, 01:33 AM
they allways tell you the same BS .. I had a noise on my steering column, when I turn off the car and the steering goes up you can hear a big knock, last time I took the car for that problem, they told me that my active steering was low on fluid.. but on the paper it doesn't say that they add oil or anything.
That same exact problem happened to me yesterday. And the knock sound you get sounds the same as the knock in the AS when cornering. Last time they topped off my fluid but now my steering wheel knocks and clicks when it moves up.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i M package

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='757652' date='Jan 2 2009, 09:20 AM
That same exact problem happened to me yesterday. And the knock sound you get sounds the same as the knock in the AS when cornering. Last time they topped off my fluid but now my steering wheel knocks and clicks when it moves up.
check the link so you can hear the noise but this one is as soon as you turn off your car. you can hear the knock and the steering wheel is going up..

you can look for old threads regarding the steering column problem.. maybe they need to replace yours..

Quick Reply: Dealer said they couldn't duplicate the problem