E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer said CAS and DME can't be replaced at the same time

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

I got a new CAS and a remanufactured DME. The CAS3 was too new for my progman so I had to take it to the dealer to get it programmed. They claim they can't do it because their machines won't read anything because the DME and CAS can't be replaced at the same time because they both hold vital information. He wouldn't tell me what system they are using. As far as I understand this is nonsense, the only two parts that are not supposed to be replaced at the same time are the Kombi and the CAS. What do you guys think?
Old 08-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

He is correct. Doesn't matter the system whether it's SSS, OSS, ISSS they have to program the CAS first and then the DME and then align. Anyone who has aligned CAS->DME in Progman or WINKFP should know this. How can you marry two units that have no info? You have to program the info on a unit align it then put the new unit in, program it and then align it and do a complete encoding of the car.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
He is correct. Doesn't matter the system whether it's SSS, OSS, ISSS they have to program the CAS first and then the DME and then align. Anyone who has aligned CAS->DME in Progman or WINKFP should know this. How can you marry two units that have no info? You have to program the info on a unit align it then put the new unit in, program it and then align it and do a complete encoding of the car.
Actually, that dealer was wrong. I think you are also missing the point I am not talking about aligning CAS & DME , it was the initial programming of the CAS. I went to a different dealer, now my car is driving like a champ. We all know they both have to be programmed before anything can work. The old dealer said because the DME was also new the CAS could not be programmed because all the vehicle information was lost from the old DME and that the VO was stored in the DME.

Didn't go that smooth though, now I have ABS, DSC, and Brake light on. Didn't have any of that before.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Sorry to jump in... and I certainly dont mean to hijack your thread Gee_115, but I was told a DME cannot be rewritten and that they are vehicle/VIN specific. Is this true? I am fighting with a dealership for DME replacement under the 2 year warranty however if as a last resort I cant get them to replace it, I would like to buy a used one. Where did you get yours and is this possible??
Old 08-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jaycal3
Sorry to jump in... and I certainly dont mean to hijack your thread Gee_115, but I was told a DME cannot be rewritten and that they are vehicle/VIN specific. Is this true? I am fighting with a dealership for DME replacement under the 2 year warranty however if as a last resort I cant get them to replace it, I would like to buy a used one. Where did you get yours and is this possible??
They are VIN specific and have to match your CAS. I have read where people have bought a used one and reprogrammed with Winkfp. I was trying to change vin in CAS, Key and DME so I sent all three to RPMmotosport. Cost me about$600. They couldn't do what they promised so ended up having them just wiping my dme. So in essence I got a new DME. In short I am not sure if you can use a used one but you can make a used one new again. I think they replace the chip then program it to your car.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer remembered there is some restriction, but got the wrong combination.
For the E60 you cannot exchange the CAS and LM (light module) at the same time.
Those 2 modules serve as masters for data. When coding with NCS you get asked from which of these two to read the car data.
Best regards,
Strabs