E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEALER ON INSTALLING NON RUNFLATS

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Just spoke to parts guy at my dealer about having michellin PS2s installed on my 550. I asked if I could get them drop shipped there from tire rack. There response was, we STRONGLY do not recomend you install non RFs on the car because the rims are made for RFs. So I told him that alot of people have done this with no problems, he agreed, but told me it would void the warranty that BMW gives for there tires. He also told me that it would cost $10 per tire for them handling the delivery :thumbsdown: Anyway I will go there tommorow to get this straitened out. I spent $70,000.00 and they want to charge me $40.00 for accepting a delivery. Its bad enough they put these crap run-flats on to begin with.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='244928' date='Feb 23 2006, 01:35 PM
Just spoke to parts guy at my dealer about having michellin PS2s installed on my 550. I asked if I could get them drop shipped there from tire rack. There response was, we STRONGLY do not recomend you install non RFs on the car because the rims are made for RFs. So I told him that alot of people have done this with no problems, he agreed, but told me it would void the warranty that BMW gives for there tires.
I'd suggest finding a quality tire installer to handle this for you. The dealer told you it would void the warranty BMW gives for their tires? Hard to argue with, since you're getting rid of the tires that came with the car!

Seriously, the dealer is not a good place to have tires installed. Most, in fact, outsource it to a local tire shop, and charge you a mark up for the privilege.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi, Silver grey metallic, Black leather interior with poplar wood trim, Premium package, Premium sound package, Cold weather package, Sport package, Automatic transmission, Style 124 wheels with 245/40 ZR18 93W ContiExtremeContact all season radials, Red reflectors, 3M Clear Bra, Samsung A920 Bluetooth Sprint phone with updated firmware (version ZB06 and ZB07), Hardwired Passport X50 Blue LED (switched from Valentine One). Build date 1/06.

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='244928' date='Feb 23 2006, 04:35 PM
Just spoke to parts guy at my dealer about having michellin PS2s installed on my 550. I asked if I could get them drop shipped there from tire rack. There response was, we STRONGLY do not recomend you install non RFs on the car because the rims are made for RFs. So I told him that alot of people have done this with no problems, he agreed, but told me it would void the warranty that BMW gives for there tires. He also told me that it would cost $10 per tire for them handling the delivery Anyway I will go there tommorow to get this straitened out. I spent $70,000.00 and they want to charge me $40.00 for accepting a delivery. Its bad enough they put these crap run-flats on to begin with.
I had all season radials dropped shipped to my dealer from Tirerack without problems. I specifically wanted non-run flats. My Parts department initially told me that I couldn't do this because my tire sensor would not work properly unless I had run flats installed. However, it was my understanding that the tire sensor works by detecting differential rotation from one side compare to the other, based not on tire pressure, but on the circumference of the wheel as it loses air. I explained this, and they seemed to then agree.

You should let Tirerack know about this- I'm not sure they would be happy to hear about a $10 per tire handling charge!

Steve
Old 02-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I am going to make sure I dont pay the $40.00 and have them install new tires for free. Within 6 months I have taken them 3 new customers, and this is my fifth from them. When i want things done, I usually go there directly and everything works out. I will talk to my salesman, Im sure he can arrange this.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='244928' date='Feb 23 2006, 11:35 PM
Just spoke to parts guy at my dealer about having michellin PS2s installed on my 550. I asked if I could get them drop shipped there from tire rack. There response was, we STRONGLY do not recomend you install non RFs on the car because the rims are made for RFs. So I told him that alot of people have done this with no problems, he agreed, but told me it would void the warranty that BMW gives for there tires. He also told me that it would cost $10 per tire for them handling the delivery :thumbsdown: Anyway I will go there tommorow to get this straitened out. I spent $70,000.00 and they want to charge me $40.00 for accepting a delivery. Its bad enough they put these crap run-flats on to begin with.
Of course they want your $40 because you are driving a premium car.

I would take my commerce else where, that's such crap and rip off.

Actually new RF tires can be assembled on any rim, and non RF's on RF rims.

Find some tyre profesionals.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='244928' date='Feb 23 2006, 03:35 PM
There (sic) response was, we STRONGLY do not recomend you install non RFs on the car because the rims are made for RFs...
It's my understanding that, yes, the rims are made with certain features to accomodate runflats, but that you can still use non-RFTs on these rims without problems. However, you shouldn't use RFTs on rims that are not designed for runflats.

On the warranty issue, generally, tires have their own warranty aside from the vehicle warranty, so you'd be losing nothing by replacing the original tires. However, BMW has already given me two new sets of runflats under warranty (don't know if they're getting reimbursed by Dunlop or what). I suppose if the Michelins start making noise like the runflats eventually do, you won't get BMW to replace them for you - you're on your own.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='244928' date='Feb 23 2006, 04:35 PM
...but told me it would void the warranty that BMW gives for there tires.
What? BMW gives warranty for the tires?
Old 02-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

That's your basic, sub-three-digit IQ parts/service writer talking.

If you have them order the tires from Tire Rack (where they undoubtedly get them, as mine does), they'll handle it all for you "gratis" as I'm sure they get a few percent off from TireRack.

Frankly, I can understand why they don't want to be taking in somebody else's shipments, etc. but give them a chance to do it on their own; if they know you know the price, they won't gouge you too much either...

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 02-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='245135' date='Feb 23 2006, 06:50 PM
What? BMW gives warranty for the tires?
Yes. They gave me a new set of Dunlop RFs at 10K and another set (this time Bridgestones) last week at 21K. I will take free RFs any day.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by TXPearl' post='245079' date='Feb 24 2006, 02:03 AM
It's my understanding that, yes, the rims are made with certain features to accomodate runflats, but that you can still use non-RFTs on these rims without problems. However, you shouldn't use RFTs on rims that are not designed for runflats.
I got my Good Year RFT and 17" style 116 rims, no probs at all. These rims are no way special for RFT as it was available before RFT came out. Right now I use non-RFT for the winter and no probs with warranty, in the Spring I will put my summer RFT (Good Years) and use them unitl I get my non-RFT and new aftermarket (HM) rimz in 20"s. And maybe burn the others on the track

Quick Reply: DEALER ON INSTALLING NON RUNFLATS