E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is it the Dealer or BMW ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I put my car in the service recently, for reprogramming.

I asked to reprogram the entire car including the idrive to the latest version.

I just received the car, i checked the idrive version and it says Build Date (august 2006)

Its the only dealer in Jeddah (Sausi Arabia), so i dont have much of a choice. Could someone tell me how did the dealer upgrade to 2006 version and not the latest which is 2008?
I have the 523i 2006 with M-ASK not CCC, what could have possibly happened ?
They insisted that they have installed the latest version although i showed them the build version also.

What can i do ? Are they lying ?

I am really frustrated at the service
Old 07-31-2008, 07:59 AM
Members

any help ?
Old 07-31-2008, 08:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by kdagher' post='636566' date='Jul 31 2008, 12:17 PM
Hello everyone,

I put my car in the service recently, for reprogramming.

I asked to reprogram the entire car including the idrive to the latest version.

I just received the car, i checked the idrive version and it says Build Date (august 2006)

Its the only dealer in Jeddah (Sausi Arabia), so i dont have much of a choice. Could someone tell me how did the dealer upgrade to 2006 version and not the latest which is 2008?
I have the 523i 2006 with M-ASK not CCC, what could have possibly happened ?
They insisted that they have installed the latest version although i showed them the build version also.

What can i do ? Are they lying ?

I am really frustrated at the service
Your question is kind of difficult to understand.

The E60's software is called "Progman" and some say CIP versions.

I believe we are somewhere around Progman CIP 29.01 now.

Not all versions better a '06 model, some are only for car with a sertain engine (like 545i) or equipment (like US Nav).

Use the Search mode to find more about Progman and CIP versions.

But your car will always be a '06!

If you wan't to check it out when its built, see this site.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='636728' date='Jul 31 2008, 11:10 AM
Your question is kind of difficult to understand.

The E60's software is called "Progman" and some say CIP versions.

I believe we are somewhere around Progman CIP 29.01 now.

Not all versions better a '06 model, some are only for car with a sertain engine (like 545i) or equipment (like US Nav).

Use the Search mode to find more about Progman and CIP versions.

But your car will always be a '06!

If you wan't to check it out when its built, see this site.

I understand what you are saying, and i know my car will always be a 06 model. However, there are always updates for the idrive. The 2008 LCI E60 has the third generation idrive version, which could be installed/updates on any previous E60. The idrive has some new fonctions. Each revision has a build year/month.

My car is a 06 model, the idrive software version was updated from March 2004 to August 2006.
All cars are getting the March 2008 version, my question is why didnt the dealer install March 2008 revision. They keep on telling me that they installed the latest version. the interface didnt change at all it looks exactly the same. I heard that the new idrive has new color schemes and it looks nicer ... ... ...
Old 07-31-2008, 09:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by kdagher' post='636789' date='Jul 31 2008, 08:19 PM
I understand what you are saying, and i know my car will always be a 06 model. However, there are always updates for the idrive. The 2008 LCI E60 has the third generation idrive version, which could be installed/updates on any previous E60. The idrive has some new fonctions. Each revision has a build year/month.

My car is a 06 model, the idrive software version was updated from March 2004 to August 2006.
All cars are getting the March 2008 version, my question is why didnt the dealer install March 2008 revision. They keep on telling me that they installed the latest version. the interface didnt change at all it looks exactly the same. I heard that the new idrive has new color schemes and it looks nicer ... ... ...
BMW has a worldwide on-line Progman data service for up-to-date dealers.

Up here in Finland my dealer gets the newest software in a matter of days.

Talk to your dealer but check out with the closest area BMW office at well.
If it is in South-Africa or in Europe I don't know.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by kdagher' post='636789' date='Jul 31 2008, 01:19 PM

I believe that if you were to do a little searching in the Forum regarding Progman updates, you will find that there is frequently no reason to do an update purely for the sake of doing it. Sometimes the changes apply to certain equipment in the car, and others to resolve electronic or mechanical ssues. Also, updates occasionally cause problems (look back at the issues in the Progman 22-23 time period when exterior lights were sometimes turned off by the update). If your car is running fine, and everything is working, then why would you want to seek an update? Moreover, why would the dealer waste time and money doing it?
Old 08-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='636852' date='Jul 31 2008, 01:55 PM
I believe that if you were to do a little searching in the Forum regarding Progman updates, you will find that there is frequently no reason to do an update purely for the sake of doing it. Sometimes the changes apply to certain equipment in the car, and others to resolve electronic or mechanical ssues. Also, updates occasionally cause problems (look back at the issues in the Progman 22-23 time period when exterior lights were sometimes turned off by the update). If your car is running fine, and everything is working, then why would you want to seek an update? Moreover, why would the dealer waste time and money doing it?

Well, i just want the new idrive interface like everyone else, moreover my transmissions slams and there was a lot of hesistation on the gaz paddle (not very responsive).After the update all of the issues were fixe but i did not get the new idrive interface.

In saudi arabia as long as your car is under warranty, they do anything for your car. Why not use my rights ?

are you talkng about the eyebrow lights that turned off ?

So you are saying some cars will get the new idrive interface and some not ?
Old 08-01-2008, 04:32 AM
Members

If your car is an 06 model then it probably doesn't have the upgraded iDrve that has the 8 shortcut keys on the dash.Mine is an 08 model which does have this.I assume that my Idrive software will be a later version to take into account the 8 shortcut keys.

When BMW release the upgraded iDrive later this year with buttons around the iDrive knob, presumably there will be a newer version of the iDrive software to take into acount the latest updates.

I wont expect my car to be upgraded to the latest version as there is no point as my car won't have all the buttons.

This may answer your question, however I may be completely wrong and no doubt someone will tell me
Old 08-01-2008, 04:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535xi

1) There is no new software upgradeable iDrive interface.
2) Updating the iDrive software in your car will not change the build date.
3) The latest version of the software is 30.02 which I had installed a few days ago. The software version in the car is only readable by the dealer (You can't check the software version yourself)
Old 08-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Members

My Ride: See signature

I recently purchased my '05 545i and noticed a couple of problems with the iDrive. I had the CD run on problem and the problem with the arrow window not popping up when the map was in the assistance window in navigation mode. I don't know what version of the Progman was loaded previously, but after referring the SA to the applicable SIBs they did upgrade my Progman to 30.02. It did change the color of the menu on the iDrive to a silver-blue, the iDrive is quicker to respond to inputs, it added the search by name feature to POIs, it fixed both of the problems I mentioned, now the eyebrow lights illuminate when the headlights are on (they did not previously) and the car seems to shift a lot smoother.

Quick Reply: Is it the Dealer or BMW ??