E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dealer for an alignment...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just installed my H&R springs and I want to get an alignment, I've scheduled an alignment for this upcming Friday. I usually avoid the stealer altogether but it seems like I'm stuck with this. I've gotten previous alignments @ PepBoys and Mavis(terrible service they lost my hubring adapters). The steering wheel would always be off after, so is the dealer my best bet ? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 LCI 535i sport M5 umnitza full kit, Maya RM 1 245/35/20 20x9 et16, 275/30/20 20x10.5 et17, Future mods- KW coilovers V3 and StopTech brake

If your car is lowered, the dealer might not be able to accomodate you. They might not want to even deal with lowered cars. You should talk to a SA before the visit.You are better of finding an performance shop.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

I have Active Steering, Active Roll Stabilization and the factory sport suspension setup. The BMW Center alignment system works best for me. The alignment has been solid for over three years, tracks straight on the highway, and no abnormal tire wear pattern. I check tire tread twice a year (snow tire set on, snow tire set off). If you have non-factory suspension setup, you'll have to keep track of what settings (e.g. camber, caster, toe, thrust) works best for your vehicle and inform the technician.

The dynamic stability control system will require that your steering angle sensor be zeroed out on the alignment rack as well. Adaptive Xenon also uses your steering angle sensor.

The alignment software for BMW also checks the operation of and measures (if equipped on vehicle) air suspension ride height, active roll stabilization, vehicle ride height at each corner (based on factory suspension options).

Any modern automobile is best aligned at the dealer. This due to Dynamic Stability Control, Active Xenon, Brake Force Distribution, Torque Vectoring, etc.

Some BMW Centers charge alignment by the hour (expect about 2 to 3 hours), other BMW Centers charge a flat fee, e.g. $129.00. Shop around. A competent Service Advisor can quote you alignment cost based on your VIN.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the replies I will call tomorrow and see if they'll still do it with the car lowered
Old 03-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I have active steering and active roll....I went to tire kingdom locally here as they have the same Hunter KDS laser alignment as my dealer. Dealer $249.....Tire Kingdom $99...you do the math.... no issues here. However since you replaced the springs I would assume you took out control arms etc etc right? If so, It's probably best to go to dealer unless you do the following....

Do research (which is what you're doing)
Inform the place doing alignment that you've changed springs....tell them everything.
They will have your car as a stock setup....tell them your stock setup rim/tire and offset.
Know your knew setup...their machine may only allow for BMW specs. This is most likely ok as long as you're within the allowed tire range 245/35/19 and 275/30/19
Mark where your steering wheel is straight (do this by putting tape in the middle of wheel and then to the middle of instrument cluster ledge. Cut the tape. When it is aligned that is where the wheel should be.
Let them loosen your suspesion components while on the rack if not done by the place that did your springs....when you tighten up suspension it should not really be suspended.
Tell them to tighten to spec (look for that info in TIS if you have it or ask someone with more time than me to supply it)

Align the car. While car is started turn the wheel all the way to the left and then to the right Then straighten and turn off. Leave the key out for a minute. This will reset active steering rack. HOWEVER it may be necessary to drive the car and do some circles either way.
Take it off the rack and test it out....Take it out for a spin with the tech.
If you are there, and happy you are done...if not may need some fine tuning one more time.
Redo alignment on the rack now that active steering was re-initialized while the car was near BMW spec.
MAKE SURE your steering wheel is straight.
Pay and thank them.
End.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Senior Members

^^^^thanks, well I been lookin for s tire shop in my area with the Hunter KDS but no dice, the control arms were changed some months ago an alignment followed that but like I said not one good enough for me
Old 03-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Members

My Ride: White/Tan, Nav, comfort seats, sport steering wheels, sport suspension, active steering, rear window shades, rear shade, heated seats
Model Year: '07-530i

Originally Posted by Isaiah_Charles
^^^^thanks, well I been lookin for s tire shop in my area with the Hunter KDS but no dice, the control arms were changed some months ago an alignment followed that but like I said not one good enough for me
Well who ever you take the car to,make sure they center the friggen steering wheel ( idiot mechanics never pay attention to that)
Old 03-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

Do you have the sport or race springs? any other pics of your car?
Old 03-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

Race and check my sig. Update I found a place w/ the same machine as BMW
Old 04-14-2011, 01:09 PM
Members

Are there different alignment settings for a car with and without Active Steering?

I just did an alignment today at Brakes Plus and noticed on the receipt after I left that they entered info for a car without Active Steering.

I have active steering, its a stock '08 550 with sport pkg. Seems like it is driving perfectly so far....it was only a bit out of spec, but wanted to have it checked because I just put new tires yesterday.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Dealer for an alignment...