E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

!!!Dead Battery!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello there:

I know this issue has been discussed many times and before I get yelled at for not using "SEARCH"...I just want to tell you that after reading number of comments I am still not clear if I should use a trickle battery charger or not...

I called Irvine BMW (www.irvinebmw.net), and spoke with someone in the Parts Department. They told me that BMW makes battery charger, although its designed for models older then 2005. They don't have any chargers for newer models and BMW does not recommend using a trickle battery charger, since it may have an adverse impact on the electronics.

I am little confused as to should I or should I not use a trickle battery charger and if it's okay what are some of the best trickle battery chargers are out there?

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Your battery actually dies? How much do you drive your car? Or NOT drive your car? You shouldnt need to trickel charge your batt or get a dead batt unless you drive like very very few miles a month. Or do you often leave your radio playing with the engine off?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Members

I don't drive the car that much and it sits for 2-3 weeks at a time. I have a Camry that I use for a daily drive.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

Warranty claim!
Old 04-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

yeah try to get a warranty claim on it.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I just read a car test with the 116i.

The testers left the car in the garage for a weekend
but they didn't remove the "key" (it was with the start/stop buttom)
and the car did go completly dead.

It wouldn't start even after they recharged the battery.

The cars electrical system did use all the power so it
also delated the car memory including the engine control.

They had to take to the BMW service for new programming.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jakethesnake' post='271953' date='Apr 21 2006, 02:24 AM
I don't drive the car that much and it sits for 2-3 weeks at a time. I have a Camry that I use for a daily drive.
That is a shame. Why buy a car like this and drive a Camry all the time.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

So how often is the battery going dead? When I am traveling, my car may sit for a week+ will no inclination of losing battery power. I believe the car has a relay shutoff, so you don't get much if any residual drain once it is off, unless something is keeping the car alive, like the problem with the accessory power plug that was corrected in recent software releases.

I know you are asking for input on a trickle charger, I am just wondering if there is another problem that could alleviate the hassles of a charger. Two weeks of sitting should not be a problem. And, I would not think three weeks is out of the question.

Of course I have to throw in my 2 cents - why drive a camry when you have a great driving machine just sitting? Personally I think cars rot when they just sit and should be driven on a weekly basis.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by The Shrike' post='272102' date='Apr 21 2006, 12:36 PM
That is a shame. Why buy a car like this and drive a Camry all the time.

There must be a reason
Old 04-21-2006, 10:18 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E60 is totally different from Camry which does not consume much current in standby mode. In case of E60, there's a lot of electronic device and memory needs to be kept alive, so it's not a surprise to hear the car go dead after a couple of weeks.

Quick Reply: !!!Dead Battery!!!