E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Deactivating rear side airbags for children

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 03:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the Manual, you should deactivate rear side airbags if transporting small children in car seats.

So I phoned my dealer & asked them to do it before I collect the car later today.

IT IS A 2 WEEK PROCESS!!!

Consent Forms need to be sent to Germany so they can release a code to the dealer to deactivate the bags.

This I understand, but now the deaIer advises me that it should only be done for children on booster seats, and not with the typical car seats used for 0 to 3 yr olds.

Please will those of you with children tell me what you have done?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2005, 04:13 AM
Senior Members

If their heads may face the air bags, as when they might fall asleep or lie down, then it is best to de-avtivate them. If they can be in the middle seat (the youngest one) and the older one on one side position (if the older one can keep from lying down sideways, or having a head facing the side), then you might want to keep them active.

My kids are 15 and 10 and we have them active, but we keep watch to make sure that they don't lie down or have their heads 'sleeping' toward an airbag.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

This topic comes up here from time to time.

The following links will help you decide what you want to do:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=4486

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=1088

I had them activated on my E39 and have them activated on the E60. My children are always properly restrained and never rest on the doors. (If a kid is sleeping against a door without the airbag activated and there's a collision, the kid will likely suffer injuries anyway.) In my opinion, the only risk associated with rear airbags and children are when the children aren't properly restrained...
Old 05-20-2005, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 20 2005, 09:22 AM

I had them activated on my E39 and have them activated on the E60.? My children are always properly restrained and never rest on the doors.? (If a kid is sleeping against a door without the airbag activated and there's a collision, the kid will likely suffer injuries anyway.)? In my opinion, the only risk associated with rear airbags and children are when the children aren't properly restrained...
[snapback]131099[/snapback]

Hrmm - I just didn't option my car with them...
Old 05-20-2005, 07:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='May 20 2005, 08:00 AM
[quote name='Rudy' date='May 20 2005, 09:22 AM']This topic comes up here from time to time.

I had them activated on my E39 and have them activated on the E60.? My children are always properly restrained and never rest on the doors.? (If a kid is sleeping against a door without the airbag activated and there's a collision, the kid will likely suffer injuries anyway.)? In my opinion, the only risk associated with rear airbags and children are when the children aren't properly restrained...

Hrmm - I just didn't option my car with them...
[snapback]131113[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thats why I didn't option them either
Old 05-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

I put the 2 baby seats in & once secured are actually quite far from the doors.

So it seems like there is no immediate risk of injury.

I think the risk would be higher when using booster seats.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

The thing is not to have anything right close to the door

I know BMW baby seats are fine with rear airbags

Also if transporting slightly older children, make them sit properly in the seat and not ly or sleep against the side
Old 05-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 20 2005, 03:22 PM

well said Rudy!
Old 05-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by E60Speed' date='May 21 2005, 05:06 PM
The thing is not to have anything right close to the door

I know BMW baby seats are fine with rear airbags

Also if transporting slightly older children, make them sit properly in the seat and not ly or sleep against the side
[snapback]131651[/snapback]
I bought my wife a new minivan last week and it came with side airbags, I had the same questions/concerns so I took a look at the IIHS website. It appears that the incidence of side airbag injuries is very low. I now have them in both my 545 and my wife's van, and feel that on balance I am happier with them than without them.

From http://www.iihs.org/safety_facts/qanda/airbags.htm#13

"13. Can side airbags cause inflation injuries? Like frontal airbags, side airbags introduce energy into a crash and can cause injury. However, side airbags are typically smaller and involve less deployment energy than frontal airbags. To date there has been only one serious injury reportedly due to side airbag inflation. This involved an elderly male driver who suffered multiple rib fractures. His vehicle was equipped with door-mounted side airbags designed to protect the chest only.

Although the risk of injury from a side airbag is extremely low, to further reduce any potential dangers to children one need only ensure a child is properly restrained in the back seat. Children should not lean against the door area where the airbag is stored because the initial deployment force may be harmful. It is important for parents to understand that with or without an airbag, children leaning against a side door or lying down on a seat with their heads near the door are at high risk of injury in the event of a side impact.

Concerns about potential injuries, particularly to small children who might lie down in the seat or assume other positions against a deploying side airbag, led to the formation of the Side Airbag Out-of-Position Injury Technical Working Group. The TWG, chaired by the Institute and made up of injury experts from vehicle manufacturers, airbag suppliers, and universities, has a test protocol to assure that the inflation injury risk from deploying side airbags remains low. All vehicle manufacturers have committed to follow this protocol when designing new side airbag systems, and several already have systems in cars that meet the protocol. Check with vehicle manufacturers about whether the side airbags in your car have been designed according to these voluntary guidelines."