E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Daytime Running Lights (DRL)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='557897' date='Apr 8 2008, 07:05 AM
i have the option now with progman update 27. something.... now i can choose DRL but it only comes on IF in AUTO and seems like whole set of headlights, tail lights and all Dash lights come on...
LCIs don't have have that issue. The angel eyes are the DRLs, and the light tubes are on in the rear. If you leave it in Auto, when you unlock the car, the angel eyes come on and the rear light tubes come on (that might be part of the pathway/"coming home" lighting, though.) When the switch is set to Off, the angel eyes don't come one when you unlock. When the switch is set to Park, the angel eyes get brighter and the eyebrows come on (by far the coolest look. ) Also in Auto, the IP lights come on before the headlights do; an interesting feature.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:02 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 E60 535 xDrive

Originally Posted by luigi524td
You don't - for '05/'06 e60 your dealer will have to turn them on for you.
Hi, we just bought a US spec 2007 E60. It does not have the option of turning on/off the DRL's and it currently does not have DRL's. I actually like the safety factor and plan on buying a set of HID Angel Eyes. I assume I have to go to the dealership and have them program my car to have DRL's so the HID Angel Eye kit will be on during the day? Thoughts?

Here's why I ask. I have a 2006 W220 Mercedes with no DRL option. I bought (from a German eBay seller) LED DRL's that replaced the lower vents and neatly installed a set of bright-as-Audi LED's. The kit came with a setting that allowed me to use those as DRL's (auto dimmed when headlights came on).

however, in the case of the E60, I am wondering if I need to have the dealer turn on my DRL function. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Daytime Running Lights (DRL)-img_1546.jpg  
Old 04-29-2013, 07:52 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

What is the build date of your new ride? Late model '07 like mine (Oct. '06 build) has DRL on/off option in the iDrive. And the DRL on pre-LCI is not the AE but the smaller/inner round reflector (also in use as high beam), on the other hand LCI model ('08+) uses AE as the DRL.

Unfortunately, on pre-LCI model you can not put HID for the AE as it uses a non-std bulb (like LCI model uses standard H8 halogen bulb) so AE upgrade options (as far as brightness & color) is rather limited and pre-LCI AE is not visible during the day.

That's one of many reason I did full LCI lights conversion couple years ago.

Originally Posted by Columbia1991
Hi, we just bought a US spec 2007 E60. It does not have the option of turning on/off the DRL's and it currently does not have DRL's. I actually like the safety factor and plan on buying a set of HID Angel Eyes. I assume I have to go to the dealership and have them program my car to have DRL's so the HID Angel Eye kit will be on during the day? Thoughts?

Here's why I ask. I have a 2006 W220 Mercedes with no DRL option. I bought (from a German eBay seller) LED DRL's that replaced the lower vents and neatly installed a set of bright-as-Audi LED's. The kit came with a setting that allowed me to use those as DRL's (auto dimmed when headlights came on).

however, in the case of the E60, I am wondering if I need to have the dealer turn on my DRL function. Thanks
Old 04-29-2013, 11:00 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 E60 535 xDrive

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
What is the build date of your new ride? Late model '07 like mine (Oct. '06 build) has DRL on/off option in the iDrive. And the DRL on pre-LCI is not the AE but the smaller/inner round reflector (also in use as high beam), on the other hand LCI model ('08+) uses AE as the DRL.

Unfortunately, on pre-LCI model you can not put HID for the AE as it uses a non-std bulb (like LCI model uses standard H8 halogen bulb) so AE upgrade options (as far as brightness & color) is rather limited and pre-LCI AE is not visible during the day.

That's one of many reason I did full LCI lights conversion couple years ago.
Thanks, my inservice date is 7/06 and I definitely cannot turn the DLR on/off from iDrive. I don't even have that option. Hence, no DRL's on my BMW. That said, I guess I have to just turn the knob to "parking" light mode to have the angel eyes turn on but they are very dim. I was thinkign of replacign the bulbs with CREE 20watt LED's. I assume it's a pre-LCI model but do you know if I can use CREE LED bulbs to increase the whiteness?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Yes you have pre-LCI ... LCI model start '08+ ... for pre-LCI AE you might like to check out product such as from MTEC, keep in mind pre-LCI AE will not be visible enough during the day to the fact it wasn't design to be a DRL source like the LCI ... and AFAIK using LED will not be as bright but they do increase in whiteness (but again such color change will become less visible).

But then again everybody different ... so GL!

Originally Posted by Columbia1991
Thanks, my inservice date is 7/06 and I definitely cannot turn the DLR on/off from iDrive. I don't even have that option. Hence, no DRL's on my BMW. That said, I guess I have to just turn the knob to "parking" light mode to have the angel eyes turn on but they are very dim. I was thinkign of replacign the bulbs with CREE 20watt LED's. I assume it's a pre-LCI model but do you know if I can use CREE LED bulbs to increase the whiteness?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:13 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW Alpina B5 -05

Hey guys.

I've been trying to code DRL high beam not to work in parking light mode. It does ruin the good looks of the AE.

I like to only have the DRL high beam active in "0"-position. Anyone know what values to change?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by F-Tar
Hey guys.

I've been trying to code DRL high beam not to work in parking light mode. It does ruin the good looks of the AE.

I like to only have the DRL high beam active in "0"-position. Anyone know what values to change?
pre-LCI? you'll need to code the DRL function out of the LMA. I'll assume you're familiar with using NCSExpert. It's either 'on' or 'off' as far as I know, so you'll have to choose if you want DRLs or completely disable them. DRL_V_GEDIMMT = nicht_aktiv in the LMA

PM me if you need help.

Last edited by KyleB; 07-09-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v8hybrid
My Nov 2003 530iSE (with 2006 s/w) has the option to turn on DRL in iDrive- different markets?
yep. in the US, you have to code it out if you have a pre-LCI car.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:04 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW Alpina B5 -05

Originally Posted by KyleB
yep. in the US, you have to code it out if you have a pre-LCI car.
Read my question again

I do know how to enable DRL thru ncs expert. But when driving with with the lightswitch in "0"-position i only have the high beam DRL on. That's what i wan't. The rest of the car has no light.

BUT when switching over to angel eyes (Position light), I do NOT wan't the DRL to come along with my angel eyes,

So if you have the answer to this one im very happy
Old 07-10-2013, 02:52 AM
Members
Senior Members

I don't think you can do that. It's either DRL on or off, all the time.

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights (DRL)