E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytime running lights and angel eyes

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Space Gray 545i

For those of you running your angel eyes during the day time. How do you have your light settings? I'm planning on purchasing the MTECH angel eyes from brabusw209amg, but would like to figure out/correct my angel eye settings before doing so.

I have a 2004 545i with iDrive. Members on here have stated that I can control my angel eye settings from my iDrive, however, the only options I have in the 'lighting menu' is triple turn signals and 'pathway lighting'. I guess my car's build date was too early to have the angel eye settings in iDrive?

So when I turn on my engine, my highbeams are automatically on--daytime running lights I assume. Members here have stated that these have to be turned off at the BMW dealership. I went in and talked to a Service Advisor(New Century BMW--don't really like this dealership) and he told me that the daytime running lights can be turned off from within iDrive. They also stated that my iDrive can't be updated as well. It feels like as if they just didn't want to do the services for me. Plus I can't find any other light setting/options anywhere in my iDrive.

So anyways, do I just ask them to turn off my daytime running lights and tell the to reprogram my car's computer to turn on the angel eyes when the car starts up...or how does it work? My highbeams are also on when I turn the light switch one notch to the left, as well, and would like that turned off too.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:18 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

On early cars the DRL could only be turned on/off by the dealer. Later on that option came in on the idrive.

So you need a full software upgrade if you want that.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Members

Ok, gotcha, dealer has to turn off my DRLs then. What about my angel eyes then, do I have the tell the dealer to turn those on for me, as well?
Old 09-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

They can't turn the angel eyes on for you. U need to turn on the parking lights to have it illuminated.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:22 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

The above two posts are correct. The option to turn on/off via iDrive is only available for LCI's, unless you do a CCC retrofit.

As for turning the angel eyes on only, you'll have to manually switch it to parking light. Obviously if your low beams are on, they will be on as well.

On a side note, if you know your electrical wiring, you can do the wiring to have it turn on with ignition, and not have to worry about the switch.

My buddy and I offer this as a service, as well as fading on/off angel eyes (like LCI) with unlock/lock using the key fob.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
The above two posts are correct. The option to turn on/off via iDrive is only available for LCI's, unless you do a CCC retrofit.
Not 100% true. This option is also available on pre-LCIs too. I have it.

I've built an interface that allows you to use the Angel eyes as your DRL. Its not a product but I was just trying to prove that it can be done. And incase anyone is thinking that i just moved the wires around from the halogens to the eyes, then NO, its slightly more involved than that. You don't want your angel eyes acting as your flash-to-pass.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Not 100% true. This option is also available on pre-LCIs too. I have it.

I've built an interface that allows you to use the Angel eyes as your DRL. Its not a product but I was just trying to prove that it can be done. And incase anyone is thinking that i just moved the wires around from the halogens to the eyes, then NO, its slightly more involved than that. You don't want your angel eyes acting as your flash-to-pass.
Oh humm, learn something new every day. Perhaps it might be a North American vs. Euro thing then. I don't believe I know of anyone with Pre-LCI that has this in their iDrive.

And for info, the way we do the wiring is not rewiring the high beam halogen to the AE. That's kind of stupid in my opinion since you would lose high beam. What we do is wire a separate line to a live 12v connection so that it would turn on/off with the car. The only downside is that there's no way to turn off the AE while the car is on -- but I suppose a switch can be added. But I deem it unnecessary

Okay I lied, actually, if you have multi-colored Orions, it can be turned off via holding the toggle button for 5 seconds But it's basically the same thing as adding a switch.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

yeah it'd be cool to know how to leave angel eyes on without doing it manually.

i don't have the LCI and i can control my DRL from idrive as well.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Members

Just got back from New Century BMW in Alhambra, CA. They refuse to turn off my DRLs.:thumbsdown: When I told them I didn't have the option in my iDrive to turn them off, they said it wasn't possible to do it any other way. Geez, I hate New Century BMW!
Old 09-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Contributors

Too bad you're up that way, but otherwise Sterling BMW in Newport Beach and Irvine BMW is pretty good place to go.

Or you can visit Soleybimmer in Mission Viejo and ask for Chad. They're an independent shop that has the computer to do the programming.

Quick Reply: Daytime running lights and angel eyes