E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

daylight saveings time

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 09:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07/04 E61 530d Auto, black sapphire, black nasca leather with anthracite trim, nav pro, LOGIC 7, TV, head-up, bluetooth preparation, voice input, ventilated and heated Comfort Seats, rear seat heating, heated sport steering wheel, panorama glass sunroof, alarm, PDC, adaptative xenon, dynamic drive, active steering, universal door opener, extended lights, auto-dimming mirrors, trailer tow hitch, roller sunblinds, 17'' Style 122

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' date='Oct 31 2005, 07:37 PM
[quote name='pagan' date='Oct 31 2005, 01:26 PM']Well, mine did update the time on DST and also it must be position based because when I went to Paris on a journey the car updated the time to GMT+1
[snapback]191399[/snapback]
When?
Do you have nav Pro or Business?
Or jokeing?
[snapback]191400[/snapback]
[/quote]

I was refering to my previous MB C-Class
Old 10-31-2005, 10:00 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by pagan' date='Oct 31 2005, 12:26 PM
Well, mine (Ed note: referring to his MB C Class} did update the time on DST and also it must be position based because when I went to Paris on a journey the car updated the time to GMT+1
I'll take your word for it, but several COMAND references I've found (for example, this one) have stated that the European COMAND unit doesn't update for DST, whereas the US-spec one does. But, as I said, I'll believe you since you had one.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 07/04 E61 530d Auto, black sapphire, black nasca leather with anthracite trim, nav pro, LOGIC 7, TV, head-up, bluetooth preparation, voice input, ventilated and heated Comfort Seats, rear seat heating, heated sport steering wheel, panorama glass sunroof, alarm, PDC, adaptative xenon, dynamic drive, active steering, universal door opener, extended lights, auto-dimming mirrors, trailer tow hitch, roller sunblinds, 17'' Style 122

Originally Posted by das' date='Oct 31 2005, 08:00 PM
[quote name='pagan' date='Oct 31 2005, 12:26 PM']Well, mine (Ed note: referring to his MB C Class} did update the time on DST and also it must be position based because when I went to Paris on a journey the car updated the time to GMT+1
I'll take your word for it, but several COMAND references I've found (for example, this one) have stated that the European COMAND unit doesn't update for DST, whereas the US-spec one does. But, as I said, I'll believe you since you had one.
[snapback]191416[/snapback]
[/quote]

As you can see in the online c-class manual:
daylight saveings time-time.gif
Old 10-31-2005, 10:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

I set mine this morning. I agree, one would think, since the car already has a GPS, BMW Assist, it should set automatically. Another thing I wish they had was a compass, for those of us who don't have a GPS. Come on BMW, start adding the little things consumers want.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Wow, this thread took off, didn't it?

das, I realize what you said about the extra complexities between setting a car's clock and that of a computer syncronized by NTP. (To be honest though, I only skimmed many of the posts so I apologize if I'm late to the party...)

All I know, and I'm not bashing BMW here, is that M-B has been setting clocks via satellite since the 2000 S-Class (first car with COMAND). I also know that my wife's Honda sets the clock automatically and it does know the exact location of the time zone boundaries (probably through NavTeQ.) I personally witnessed the clock change instantly as I crossed the Indiana/Illinois border driving across I-70 this summer.

The only complicated part of this is the daylight savings time issue. Since there are areas of the country that don't observe DST (Indiana is a bizarre state, for example), the clock could be off by one hour if it's not programmed correctly. Then again, it's possible that NavTeQ could digitize the boundaries of the places that don't observe DST and make things work again. At the worst, there can be a checkbox to enable/disable DST, just like a computer.

When the DST dates change in 2007, it will be a simple fix if all that's needed to update are the specific changeover dates in the GPS satellite infrastructure.

I guess what I'm saying is that it is quite simple to do this, it's not complicated at all as you stated earlier and I see no reason why BMW can't do it if Honda and others can do it with no issues.

Keep in mind I'm not complaining about having to manually set the clock, I just agree with others that it really should be something BMW needs to add to keep customers happy and keep in line with the competition.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

wow, this thread really took off. Being a early adopter of the e60 thus no sirrus no nav no bluetooth and not haveing the ability to update to any of these marvels i just wanted the damn clock to change on its own just to say i have some technology in a 52000.00 dollar car. It was not a problem changeing it although i had to go through a couple of screens to remember where?, may be they meaning BMW will just start adding other options to our i drive ie engine temp, gforce, actual tire pressure, and the like. Really want to keep the car but dont want it to be like an outdated computer in less than 5 years heck they already changed the engine ( to that note couldnt they have given us early adopters some type of credit towards the new n52 engine cars? Sorry guys been a long day working FIOS in Northern Va and an even longer trip back.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

<sorry, hijack intentional -- I think a small one here won't hurt too much...>

Originally Posted by buddy' date='Oct 31 2005, 10:46 PM
Sorry guys been a long day working FIOS in Northern Va and an even longer trip back.
[snapback]191651[/snapback]
Hey buddy, what do you mean when you say "working FiOS?" Are you involved in a rollout or are you a customer?

I've got FiOS here and I absolutely love it!
Old 11-01-2005, 02:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Hey Rudy, I am a installation and maintaince tech for verizon, have to travel to Northern Va at least twice a month for a week or two at a time to install and maintain the fios serivce in customers home. Fios is great we have just rolled it out in Richmond in select areas about 3 weeks ago so i am hopeing the trips up there will get fewer and further in between. However this time we tried something new we just drove up at 6:00 in the morning and i got off at 8:30 last night a 14 1/2 hr day did two jobs but as you know the installs can be very tedious depending upon where the customers equipment is located in the house. And my two had 3 level homes and wanted the equipment in the midddle of the house from the basement to the 3rd floor. Well no one said it was easy just work, by the way what package do you have and do you also have the video?
Old 11-01-2005, 03:29 AM
Contributors

I consider, by the way in this conversation, is it possible in the header of each post, after the US central time, to have the central EU time as well ?
I think we are many European members, in the forum, so it would be easier to know whet local time the posts have been replied.

I suppose, a software engineer like Das maybe know if it is possible.

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:53 AM
das
Site Founders

My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' date='Nov 1 2005, 06:29 AM
I consider, by the way in this conversation, is it possible in the header of each post, after the US central time,? to? have the central EU time as well ?
I think we are many European members, in the forum, so it would be easier to know whet local time the posts have been replied.

I suppose, a software engineer like Das maybe know if it is possible.

Thanks.
[snapback]191789[/snapback]
You can go into My Controls -> Board Settings and set your own local time.

(Or if you're really asking if it's possible to have *both* displayed, yes, anything's possible, but that would require modifying the board software. But since I think what you're really asking is if you can display your local time, the answer is yes!)

Quick Reply: daylight saveings time