E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

daylight saveings time

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 09:02 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI,

Irrelevant to the topic:

Here where I work one of the OS that we build/develop does not have the capability to update the time automatically. I know it is just few lines of code to change the time automatically. But we dont do it. It is not my decision

Anyway...this thread has been fun to follow!

Keep it up guys..and always demand for the BEST AUTOMATION.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by das' date='Oct 31 2005, 05:34 PM
[quote name='browellm' date='Oct 31 2005, 11:32 AM']But as DST can be switched off and on at the touch of a button, and the rest of the world are not changing things in 2007, most of you points are moot!

The functionality will not be "broken", just not applicable to your neck of the woods
[snapback]191357[/snapback]
But that's the point: if anything changes about DST in any region or market, the embedded functionality is broken, and further, you would have to tick the DST check box 4 times per year. Which is ironic, since if that's acceptable, then why complain about changing the offset *2* times per year?

Not to mention that the state of DST vs Standard Time would also be broken for about a month out of the year...

DST isn't carved in stone: even though it's been static for a while, it can change. And as other nations feel the squeeze of energy prices, they might not be so magnanimous in their view of the US decision to change DST.
[snapback]191359[/snapback]
[/quote]

Maybe I'm not erudite enough to get my point across. If you live in a part of the world where DST is "broken", you leave it off. Tough titties, you have to change the clock manually. You *do not* tick/un-tick the option 4 times.

99% (the rest of us) enable it and have no problems.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 07/04 E61 530d Auto, black sapphire, black nasca leather with anthracite trim, nav pro, LOGIC 7, TV, head-up, bluetooth preparation, voice input, ventilated and heated Comfort Seats, rear seat heating, heated sport steering wheel, panorama glass sunroof, alarm, PDC, adaptative xenon, dynamic drive, active steering, universal door opener, extended lights, auto-dimming mirrors, trailer tow hitch, roller sunblinds, 17'' Style 122

My previous 2001 MB C-Class Station with COMAND navigation was able to change DST and to get the correct time from satelite. BMW should provide this feature at least on cars with navigation.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by amigo525' date='Oct 31 2005, 01:02 PM
FYI,

Irrelevant to the topic:

Here where I work? one of the? OS that we build/develop? does not have the? capability to update the time automatically. I know it is just few lines of code to change the time automatically. But we dont do it.? It is not my decision

Anyway...this thread has been fun to follow!

Keep it up guys..and always demand for the BEST AUTOMATION.?
[snapback]191378[/snapback]

O/T - Well, and there are some systems that -should not- be permitted to obtain timing information from an outside source - things like RSA/ACE Servers.

Back to the topic, how about a checkbox that says: "pull time from phone if available"? My phone knows the time, and my car talks to my phone. Why not let it tell the car the correct time?
Old 10-31-2005, 09:17 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Oct 31 2005, 12:09 PM
Maybe I'm not erudite enough to get my point across.? If you live in a part of the world where DST is "broken", you leave it off.? Tough titties, you have to change the clock manually.? You *do not* tick/un-tick the option 4 times.

99% (the rest of us) enable it and have no problems.
[snapback]191383[/snapback]
Ok, I see where the disconnect in our communication is. How I am familiar with BMW navigation systems working, and also the in-car clock, is that they get their time from the GPS satellites, and you also set your GMT offset to get the correct time. When DST changes, you simply change your GMT offset.

If you are advocating having a selection to automatically adjust for DST *and* a mechanism via which you can change the offset if necessary, ok, I'm all for it. But, I ask again: wouldn't that be confusing if a customer enabled it, and it changed (or didn't change) the time inappropriately? After all, the vehicle has a specific setting for DST.

And I realize you're exaggerating to make a point, but I would dare say that the US comprises more than 1% of BMW's marketplace...
Old 10-31-2005, 09:19 AM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by pagan' date='Oct 31 2005, 12:12 PM
My previous 2001 MB C-Class Station with COMAND navigation was able to change DST and to get the correct time from satelite. BMW should provide this feature at least on cars with navigation.
[snapback]191387[/snapback]
Well, it wasn't getting it via GPS. They must be picking up WWV or something, and comparing to your location or a previously-set setting for time zone.

Ironically, as I've been looking into it here, Mercedes COMAND *only* featured automatic updates for DST in the US, not in any other markets.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

Ok, I see where the disconnect in our communication is. How I am familiar with BMW navigation systems working, and also the in-car clock, is that they get their time from the GPS satellites, and you also set your GMT offset to get the correct time. When DST changes, you simply change your DST offset.

If you are advocating having a selection to automatically adjust for DST *and* a mechanism via which you can change the offset if necessary, ok, I'm all for it. But, I ask again: wouldn't that be confusing if a customer enabled it, and it changed (or didn't change) the time inappropriately? After all, the vehicle has a specific setting for DST.
Maybe, but it's only how a pda or laptop works right now.

And I realize you're exaggerating to make a point, but I would dare say that the US comprises more than 1% of BMW's marketplace...
[snapback]191394[/snapback]
Sorry, 'bout that, I wasn't trying to be a smartarse, the way I read the thread I assumed it was only for certain states, not the whole of the US.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 07/04 E61 530d Auto, black sapphire, black nasca leather with anthracite trim, nav pro, LOGIC 7, TV, head-up, bluetooth preparation, voice input, ventilated and heated Comfort Seats, rear seat heating, heated sport steering wheel, panorama glass sunroof, alarm, PDC, adaptative xenon, dynamic drive, active steering, universal door opener, extended lights, auto-dimming mirrors, trailer tow hitch, roller sunblinds, 17'' Style 122

Originally Posted by das' date='Oct 31 2005, 07:19 PM
[quote name='pagan' date='Oct 31 2005, 12:12 PM']My previous 2001 MB C-Class Station with COMAND navigation was able to change DST and to get the correct time from satelite. BMW should provide this feature at least on cars with navigation.
[snapback]191387[/snapback]
Well, it wasn't getting it via GPS. They must be picking up WWV or something, and comparing to your location or a previously-set setting for time zone.

Ironically, as I've been looking into it here, Mercedes COMAND *only* featured automatic updates for DST in the US, not in any other markets.
[snapback]191396[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, mine did update the time on DST and also it must be position based because when I went to Paris on a journey the car updated the time to GMT+1
Old 10-31-2005, 09:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pagan' date='Oct 31 2005, 01:26 PM
Well, mine did update the time on DST and also it must be position based because when I went to Paris on a journey the car updated the time to GMT+1
[snapback]191399[/snapback]
When?
Do you have nav Pro or Business?
Or jokeing?
Old 10-31-2005, 09:53 AM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Oct 31 2005, 12:25 PM
But, I ask again: wouldn't that be confusing if a customer enabled it, and it changed (or didn't change) the time inappropriately? After all, the vehicle has a specific setting for DST.
Maybe, but it's only how a pda or laptop works right now.
Ok, but that brings me back to the fact that it's a lot more expected for a laptop (or even a PDA) to be able to:

a.) get software updates that will fix the embedded DST data as needed (a lot more realistic to expect a laptop or PDA to get some sort of update applied in two years' time, and even if not, Palm or Microsoft or whoever can simply say "download update XYZ and it will fix your issue, whereas it's a lot more of a hardship to expect someone to bring a vehicle in for service for a software upgrade simply to address DST changes), or

b.) simply be connected to a network where the changes will appropriately via a centrally administered service, such as NTP

[snapback]191394[/snapback]
Sorry, 'bout that, I wasn't trying to be a smartarse, the way I read the thread I assumed it was only for certain states, not the whole of the US.
[snapback]191398[/snapback]
Heh, yeah, it's the whole US that is changing. :/

Quick Reply: daylight saveings time