E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

daylight saveings time

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 08:13 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Oct 31 2005, 10:58 AM
No, it isn't.

Forget about NTP updates, they're irrelevant to the DST offset discussion (if not the accurate clock discussion).

DST changes work perfectly well offline (as I mentioned in a previous post).

Any Windows devce will update DST (assuming you have the check box ticked), without being connected to a network.

At the risk of repeating myself, the functionality is embedded.
[snapback]191331[/snapback]
Yes, I understand that. But it only works offline because it depends upon the fact that DST changes happen at a particular time each year. If that changes (which it will) and the customer does NOT get a CIP update before then, this functionality is broken. Then, they are left with ticking the DST status *4* times a year (or getting a CIP update) instead of simply changing the offset twice a year. BMW cannot reliably guarantee that offline settings will be updated even over the lifetime of a vehicle.

Further, there would need to be region specific coding for DST, because not all regions use hour offsets; some use 30 minutes. All of this certainly can be maintained offline, and updated as necessarily with software updates. However, a PC or a PDA is much more likely to receive a software update in its lifetime than a vehicle.

As I hinted at before, perhaps a better discussion is not whether this is "possible", but how many other vehicles update their clocks for DST, and via what exact mechanism they accomplish it.

The NTP discussion is quite relevant since people were saying "my computer does it"; well, since it's getting the information from a central system via an always-on connection to a network, that's not too surprising to me.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Oct 31 2005, 11:58 AM
No, it isn't.

Forget about NTP updates, they're irrelevant to the DST offset discussion (if not the accurate clock discussion).

DST changes work perfectly well offline (as I mentioned in a previous post).

Any Windows devce will update DST (assuming you have the check box ticked), without being connected to a network.

At the risk of repeating myself, the functionality is embedded.
[snapback]191331[/snapback]
Agree, i have never connect my laptop on any network, but the clock change the time automatically according to the daylight savings.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:25 AM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Oct 31 2005, 11:08 AM
Why do we even have DST in the first place? Was it because Fall as short days and spring has longer day? Who cares we have electricity now.
[snapback]191336[/snapback]
Have you been watching the price of oil this year?
Old 10-31-2005, 08:28 AM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' date='Oct 31 2005, 11:18 AM
Agree, i have never connect my laptop on any network, but the clock change the time automatically according to the daylight savings.
[snapback]191345[/snapback]
And that won't work if you're in the US and March 2007 comes, because the daylight savings time dates change, unless you get a software update that reflects this between now and then.

And it's a lot more of a possibility that you'll get a software update between now and then on a computer than you would on a vehicle.

The point is that if anything about DST changes in any region, the embedded functionality, which depends on being correct to work, is broken.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But as DST can be switched off and on at the touch of a button, and the rest of the world are not changing things in 2007, most of your points are moot!

The functionality will not be "broken", just not applicable to your neck of the woods
Old 10-31-2005, 08:34 AM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Oct 31 2005, 11:32 AM
But as DST can be switched off and on at the touch of a button, and the rest of the world are not changing things in 2007, most of you points are moot!

The functionality will not be "broken", just not applicable to your neck of the woods
[snapback]191357[/snapback]
But that's the point: if anything changes about DST in any region or market, the embedded functionality is broken, and further, you would have to tick the DST check box 4 times per year. Which is ironic, since if that's acceptable, then why complain about changing the offset *2* times per year?

Not to mention that the state of DST vs Standard Time would also be broken for about a month out of the year...

DST isn't carved in stone: even though it's been static for a while, it can change. And as other nations feel the squeeze of energy prices, they might not be so magnanimous in their view of the US decision to change DST.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by das' date='Oct 31 2005, 12:28 PM
[quote name='nicke60gre' date='Oct 31 2005, 11:18 AM']Agree, i have never connect my laptop on any network, but the clock change the time automatically according to the daylight savings.
[snapback]191345[/snapback]
And that won't work if you're in the US and March 2007 comes, because the daylight savings time dates change, unless you get a software update that reflects this between now and then.
[snapback]191355[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ok. In this case i will untick the daylight savings checkbox.
This checkbox i want to have in I-drive menu.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:44 AM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' date='Oct 31 2005, 11:42 AM
Ok. In this case i will untick the daylight savings checkbox.
[snapback]191363[/snapback]
If you don't mind going into iDrive and unticking a checkbox in this case (which you will have to do four times per year, since it will be incorrect twice surrounding each change), then why do we mind changing the GMT offset twice a year, both of which are manual operations and would take the same amount of time?

Old 10-31-2005, 08:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by das' date='Oct 31 2005, 12:44 PM
[quote name='nicke60gre' date='Oct 31 2005, 11:42 AM']Ok. In this case i will untick the daylight savings checkbox.
[snapback]191363[/snapback]
If you don't mind going into iDrive and unticking a checkbox in this case (which you will have to do four times per year, since it will be incorrect twice surrounding each change), then why do we mind changing the GMT offset twice a year, both of which are manual operations and would take the same amount of time?

[snapback]191365[/snapback]
[/quote]

In my expensive, beautiful, piece of art, wonder of technology, car
I just want the ability to do it.

PS. I've never been out of my country. Yet.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:01 AM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' date='Oct 31 2005, 11:56 AM
In my expensive, beautiful, piece of art, wonder of technology, car
I just want the ability to do it.

PS. I've never been out of my country. Yet.
[snapback]191376[/snapback]
I think perhaps people are misunderstanding me here...I'm not saying the car SHOULDN'T be able to do it; just explaining the issues around it and why BMW likely DIDN'T do it.

I'm still interested in hearing if any other vehicles automatically update for DST, and how the accomplish it - and if it will break in March 2007 unless the car gets a software update before then.

Quick Reply: daylight saveings time