E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Data Transmission Fault

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 06:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JTrizzo' post='389538' date='Feb 10 2007, 02:10 AM
This is my take on this issue. If my airbags were to deploy in an accident, the TCU would notify BMW Assist that my vehicle was in a collision hard enough to set off the airbags. BMW Assist would notify emergency services or alteast try to respond to the vehicle as aprocautionary measure. However, if my TCU is having "Data Transmission Fault" issues, then the SOS transmission can not go out. This is my biggest concern, I can care less if BMW Assist automatically calls in my dealership to schedule a maintence appointment for me...or something of that sort.
Your contention was that you would be unconscious. Again, BMW Assist in that circumstance would not do a thing unless you are a subscriber.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i - titanium grey/blk/anthracite, Nav, SMG, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, HUD, moonroof, heated steering, xenon active lighting, Dakota leather, power all.

okay, so BMW Assist needs to be activated inorder for the airbag sensor to signal help w/o pressing the SOS buton. If someone does not have this subscription and they need to contact BMW for a real emergency "one time use" by pressing the SOS button, they will get a response from BMW Assist...correct? I just hope they fix my "data transmission fault" so if I do have to use the SOS button, someone will respond on the other end. Is it possible to just get charge by a per use interval?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Following is from bulletin to dealers:
"Subscribers MUST give their credit card information to subscribe to BMW Assist. BMW will pay the first year of the BMW Assist Safety Plan only with the subscriber's credit card information on file. As a benefit, the subscriber will also have access to a 45-day trial (up to 3 events) of the optional Convenience Plan. The credit card information will also facilitate any purchases made via the BMW Assist Concierge. Credit card information must be entered in Step 3c of the ESA Online Form on CenterNet to successfully enroll. If the subscriber is only willing to give their credit card information over the phone, complete and save the ESA Online Form through Step 3b, then call (888) 333-6118 with your customer to complete the application."

Chart of options attached

I would consider $130 investment a wise investment coming from an 03/04 production car. Many who chose to do this without benefit of a real TCU problem had to fork out ~$2000 to get the same capability. BTW, MP3 does not rely on TCU version. You can get it from PROGMAN 20 on up as a retrofit. Cost is between you and your dealer. Better to have issues the force a PROGMAN update are always better. Not 100% sure, but believe a TCU replacement (especially from a pre 03/04 to a post version) does require a PROGMAN update.

B020105KeyBenefitChart.pdf