E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Data Transmission Fault

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i - titanium grey/blk/anthracite, Nav, SMG, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, HUD, moonroof, heated steering, xenon active lighting, Dakota leather, power all.
Red face

Once again I need the help of this forum. Everytime I go to start my car, the vehicle is trying to send information to whom or where is another mystery. However, after 3-5mins of trying the computer generates a message that reads" Date Transmission Fault"?!? Can it be that my TCU is faulty and needs to be updated?? I have an 03/04 production date e60 and would not mind a newer TCU if that is the case. Has anyone dealt with this situation before....if so please fill me in on the outcome.

many thanks to you fine BMW owners
Old 02-07-2007, 05:20 AM
Senior Members

Your car is trying to update its data with BMW assist. Weird that it is doing that by itself everytime you start it. Try going into the BMW Assist menu (On the iDrive) and give them a call. Tell them that you want to update your records.
Also, it might be that it wants to make a service appointment, you could always take it to the dealership and ask them.

BTW, due to the TCU recall, I've heard that they are completely out of those in the US.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i - titanium grey/blk/anthracite, Nav, SMG, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, HUD, moonroof, heated steering, xenon active lighting, Dakota leather, power all.

Well I took my car to the dealership today, so hopefully they will take care of this "data transmission fault" issue. I would figure that this issue will automatically result in a new progman update. I also requested that if they can retrofit MP3 and activate my bluetooth at the same time. The SA immediately said that it will cost me $130 to do these activation.....WTF?!? He stated that some of my complaints may not result in a progman update, so I would have to pay to get it update for the activation.....that gotta be some bullsh*t that he is dishing out. Anyways, I get my car back on Friday and will post what happens.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JTrizzo' post='388691' date='Feb 8 2007, 03:57 AM
Well I took my car to the dealership today, so hopefully they will take care of this "data transmission fault" issue. I would figure that this issue will automatically result in a new progman update. I also requested that if they can retrofit MP3 and activate my bluetooth at the same time. The SA immediately said that it will cost me $130 to do these activation.....WTF?!? He stated that some of my complaints may not result in a progman update, so I would have to pay to get it update for the activation.....that gotta be some bullsh*t that he is dishing out. Anyways, I get my car back on Friday and will post what happens.
If I recall correctly, if your car did not come with Bluetooth originally, there should be a charge for the Bluetooth activation because that was not offered back then. Re MP3, that should be at no charge.

Regarding a Progman update, it depends what they change. They do NOT dish these out like candy.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='388761' date='Feb 8 2007, 08:58 AM
If I recall correctly, if your car did not come with Bluetooth originally, there should be a charge for the Bluetooth activation because that was not offered back then.
That is correct, the BT retrofit involves a charge, you are lucky they are giving you a reasonbable quote on the work, I would advise to take it. But then again I have a prod. date 03/04, I had the retrofit done a couple of years ago, and my BT really sux. I'm really considering going back to the CPT9000
Old 02-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Members

My car is in service for a "Data Transmission Fault" issue. Every time I start the car, the i-drive tries to send info and the result is this data transmission fault. i just got a call for SA and he states that the because i did not subscribe to BMW assist, that the data transmission fault is not an issue. So I reply with a concern about the SOS button trying to send data and what if that fails too. Again the SA stated that my car does not have BMW assist subscription, so I can not contact BMW assist even if i wanted to and that my SOS button should not work because I do not have a subcription to BMW assist?!?!?.......WTF kind of answer was that!! So if my airbags were to deploy due to an accident and i'm lying their unconscious, he is telling me my SOS signal would not go out to BMW assist to summon some help?

some please tell me that the SA is an idiot and is not correct!!
Old 02-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JTrizzo' post='389498' date='Feb 9 2007, 10:13 PM
My car is in service for a "Data Transmission Fault" issue. Every time I start the car, the i-drive tries to send info and the result is this data transmission fault. i just got a call for SA and he states that the because i did not subscribe to BMW assist, that the data transmission fault is not an issue. So I reply with a concern about the SOS button trying to send data and what if that fails too. Again the SA stated that my car does not have BMW assist subscription, so I can not contact BMW assist even if i wanted to and that my SOS button should not work because I do not have a subcription to BMW assist?!?!?.......WTF kind of answer was that!! So if my airbags were to deploy due to an accident and i'm lying their unconscious, he is telling me my SOS signal would not go out to BMW assist to summon some help?

some please tell me that the SA is an idiot and is not correct!!
How is he an idiot? Are you saying he is an idiot because he said the SOS button won?t work? If you are not subscribing to Assist, why would it work?
Old 02-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JTrizzo' post='389498
How is he an idiot? Are you saying he is an idiot because he said the SOS button won?t work? If you are not subscribing to Assist, why would it work?
My understanding on this was that it would work as well. If the TCU cannot reach BMW assist, then it would dial 911. Is this incorrect?
I am not a BMW assist subscriber, I had to push the SOS button sometime ago, it dialed the BMW assist customer service line, of course they asked if I wanted to subscribe, and yes, I needed to report an emergency.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='389501' date='Feb 9 2007, 10:37 PM
My understanding on this was that it would work as well. If the TCU cannot reach BMW assist, then it would dial 911. Is this incorrect?
I am not a BMW assist subscriber, I had to push the SOS button sometime ago, it dialed the BMW assist customer service line, of course they asked if I wanted to subscribe, and yes, I needed to report an emergency.
He said it should work if he is lying there unconscious and he is not a BMW Assist subscriber.

That is wrong. It will not work. It will not initiate a call. Not to 911. Not to anyone.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Members

This is my take on this issue. If my airbags were to deploy in an accident, the TCU would notify BMW Assist that my vehicle was in a collision hard enough to set off the airbags. BMW Assist would notify emergency services or alteast try to respond to the vehicle as aprocautionary measure. However, if my TCU is having "Data Transmission Fault" issues, then the SOS transmission can not go out. This is my biggest concern, I can care less if BMW Assist automatically calls in my dealership to schedule a maintence appointment for me...or something of that sort.

Quick Reply: Data Transmission Fault