E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

data log retrieval?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 07:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i

Does anyone know for certain that data while driving can be recalled later by the dealer? I was wanting to know how hard the vehicle was driven between a certain mileage. Shift points, RPM's achieved, and Speed. I know that some other manufactures can retrieve this info for warranty disputes.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

ODBII allows for lots of data collection including acceleration and brake (G Force). How much is stored I can't say for sure but it's capable of collecting all the data. I have yet to hear of a dealer making it an issue unless there was obvious abuse such as driving the car off road or into an environment that the car was not made to go. I don't think they care if you took your car on a track or autocross if that's what you're worried about. BMW will even sponsor such events. Just don't run the car to redline for 10 miles and you'll be okay.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Everything is stored, from day of production on.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='337077' date='Sep 21 2006, 05:53 PM
ODBII allows for lots of data collection including acceleration and brake (G Force). How much is stored I can't say for sure but it's capable of collecting all the data. I have yet to hear of a dealer making it an issue unless there was obvious abuse such as driving the car off road or into an environment that the car was not made to go. I don't think they care if you took your car on a track or autocross if that's what you're worried about. BMW will even sponsor such events. Just don't run the car to redline for 10 miles and you'll be okay.
It is not me that drove it hard. The dealer did. I took it in for the SZL, and they didn't have loaner. I had my kids with me, so they offered to take me to my destination (were I had my other vehicle) then return it to me after the work was completed. They drove it a total of 28 miles without me in it which is were it should be. But after I took the car back I was driving for little while and started setting things back were I had them. I noticed that my fuel econmy was down to 16mpg. I then pulled over and looked at the front rims and noticed a bunch of brake dust (I had washed the car the day before). It only had 50 miles on it from this point to when I had washed it. The brake dust looked like it would after about 250 miles. My fuel econmy has never been below 18mpg with me driving it hard in sport mode manually shifting it. I usually get 20 mpg driving @ 120-130 mph @ 4k rpm on the autobahn. I know that this individual ragged the car. I have been razing hell, and was told that they had no way to tell through diagnostics.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='337078' date='Sep 21 2006, 05:54 PM
Everything is stored, from day of production on.
I called a dealer in the States and spoke with a tech, and was told they couldn't look at the rpm's or speed between a certain mileage. I explained the situation, and was told they didn't have no way of knowing how hard it had been driving. I find this strange. I would think that it would store info for warranty disputes.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by f?nf drei?ig' post='337094' date='Sep 21 2006, 11:36 AM
It is not me that drove it hard. The dealer did. I took it in for the SZL, and they didn't have loaner. I had my kids with me, so they offered to take me to my destination (were I had my other vehicle) then return it to me after the work was completed. They drove it a total of 28 miles without me in it which is were it should be. But after I took the car back I was driving for little while and started setting things back were I had them. I noticed that my fuel econmy was down to 16mpg. I then pulled over and looked at the front rims and noticed a bunch of brake dust (I had washed the car the day before). It only had 50 miles on it from this point to when I had washed it. The brake dust looked like it would after about 250 miles. My fuel econmy has never been below 18mpg with me driving it hard in sport mode manually shifting it. I usually get 20 mpg driving @ 120-130 mph @ 4k rpm on the autobahn. I know that this individual ragged the car. I have been razing hell, and was told that they had no way to tell through diagnostics.
This reminds me of a post from a guy who had his car at the dealership and some porter at the dealership took an unauthorized drive in his car and wrecked it. The dealer offered to pay him for the depreciated value of the car and admitted no wrongdoing. It was a relatively new car. I would go non linear if I were in his place.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by f?nf drei?ig' post='337069' date='Sep 21 2006, 11:38 AM
Does anyone know for certain that data while driving can be recalled later by the dealer? I was wanting to know how hard the vehicle was driven between a certain mileage. Shift points, RPM's achieved, and Speed. I know that some other manufactures can retrieve this info for warranty disputes.
I don't know exactly what can be read by the dealer but you could get a "Car Chip" and log the data yourself next time the car is out of your hands...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...ost&p=21559
Old 09-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

Originally Posted by f?nf drei?ig' post='337094' date='Sep 21 2006, 12:36 PM
It is not me that drove it hard. The dealer did........

BMW's, so are many German car, are meant to be driven hard, period!! They can certainly take some abuse and that's why they are what they are. A few mile of hard drive and high revving every now and then is actually good for the engine and the running gear so you shouldn't lose sleep over it!

The control computer has a finite amount of memory so it can only retain so much information including error codes. Once the memory is full it would start dumping off old info to make room for new ones. I don't know how far back you can go. I am pretty sure it stores speed, braking, stability control, and time of last run data that covers the duration of at least a few minutes since insurance companies often look for such info after a serious crash or after a stolen car is recovered.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by Blah' post='337626' date='Sep 23 2006, 03:57 AM
BMW's, so are many German car, are meant to be driven hard, period!! They can certainly take some abuse and that's why they are what they are. A few mile of hard drive and high revving every now and then is actually good for the engine and the running gear so you shouldn't lose sleep over it!
Sorry, but I disagree. The issue is not whether it damages the car or if it's good for it.

If I give the car to someone, I expect it to be treated with respect at all times - it's mine, not theirs. I don't see why they should enjoy the car when I'm paying them for the privilege. What happens if the car is damaged because the garage employee loses control and crashes - which is more likely if the car is being driven hard? Plus, there is a reason why hard-driven engines need maintenance more frequently.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Blah' post='337626' date='Sep 23 2006, 04:57 AM
I don't care what kind of car you have, driving it hard isn't good for the longevity. Increased RPM's = increased friction = more wear on the piston rings, rod bearing, main bearings, and crank journals. Not to mention the cam bearings and valvetrain. I had a 1/4 tank of fuel consumed in 32 miles! I can normaly get 90-100 miles out of a 1/4 tank. Now my Honda has an engine that was hand assembled at the factory in Japan. Were talking hand ported heads, everything balanced and mic'd. It was desinged to live at high RPM"S, but still it can only take so much abuse. Driving it hard will only reduce it's life expectancy. The bottom line is that you treat a vehicle a certain way depending on how you want it to last. I purchased this as a family car not a sports car. I allready have a sports car that I drive when I get the urge.

I have talked to several BMW sources, and was told they had no way of checking the RPM's, or speed.
Basicly you can pound hard as you want, mis shift, and rev the hell out of it and they have no way of knowing. I know a couple of auto manufactures that can retrieve the info. It doesn't store everything just catastrophic events. Like for example everytime the rev limeter is hit. One would think that as computer based as the e60 is they would have this capability.

Quick Reply: data log retrieval?