E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Rattle/Creak Noise Traced

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 03:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i MSport, Silver Grey, Step, 19" 172 Wheels, Media Pkg inc MP3, Heated Front Seats, Black Leather Seats, Aux Port, Space Saver Wheel, M Rear Spoiler, Ext Voice System

I get a slight rattle/creaking noise emanating from the dash area when driving the car, expecially on rougher tarmac surfaces.... managed to finally trace it to the two OBC butons on the indicator stalk. It's quite a noticable noise and putting your fingers on the buttons stops them rattling and the noise disappears totally. Hope this helps some of you with a similar issue.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

I had a similar thing that sounded as if the drivers door loudspeaker had gone - the sound was really fuzzy, but not all of the time. It turned out to be one of the buttons on the steering wheel that was slightly loose - it was resonating with the radio/CD. Again, a finger on the button restored normality until it was replaced (Dealer replaced all of them!).

Mike
Old 07-15-2007, 06:03 AM
Members

My Ride: Dec 2004 - E60 - 520i - Silver with Black Leather - Stock to the bone

Originally Posted by simba' post='447617' date='Jul 14 2007, 07:51 PM
I get a slight rattle/creaking noise emanating from the dash area when driving the car, expecially on rougher tarmac surfaces.... managed to finally trace it to the two OBC butons on the indicator stalk. It's quite a noticable noise and putting your fingers on the buttons stops them rattling and the noise disappears totally. Hope this helps some of you with a similar issue.
I am having the exact problem. Its a vibrating sound that irritates the hell out of me such that I drive with my finders holding the stalk most of the time now.

I have another rattle which is a "klonk klonk" sound coming out from somewhere in the steering column when I do a turn right or left at low speeds - 2nd gear i presume. Sounds like someone loose inside. Driving straight is ok.

Will be checking it into the dealer to have them looked at.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

2 years ago my dash made noise and all I did was to take the car back to the dealer and they striped it out and rebuilt it with new rubbers seals and after 3 years, touchwood still no noise.
So I would take it back to the dealer to get it fix if itstill under warranty.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

These must be common knocks!

I also had a knock when turning at low speeds - I was told there was a known problem with a joint on the steering column. An easy fix (for the dealer!). I hope your's is an easy fix too.

Mike
Old 07-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 535dA (june build), Monaco Blue; Natural Brown/Aluminium; High Executive package; Active Cruise Control; Dynamic Drive; Individual Hifi Audio System; USB & Bluetooth

I have exactly the same problem with the rattling noise in my 535dA (june 2007). Dealer still has to fix it, as well as a faulty oil level indicator (iDrive is currently telling me that I have to fill up at least 1 liter of oil, while dipstick level is ok).

The noise is really irritating and mostly occurs at accellerating and is caused by the indicator stalk. This thing looks fancy, but feels cheap and absolutely not robust. Wish they kept it the old way.

Keep you posted on the repair.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PJNL' post='451578' date='Jul 24 2007, 07:07 PM
I have exactly the same problem with the rattling noise in my 535dA (june 2007). Dealer still has to fix it, as well as a faulty oil level indicator (iDrive is currently telling me that I have to fill up at least 1 liter of oil, while dipstick level is ok).
I thought that 2007 models and beyond do not have an oil dipstick?
Old 07-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 535dA (june build), Monaco Blue; Natural Brown/Aluminium; High Executive package; Active Cruise Control; Dynamic Drive; Individual Hifi Audio System; USB & Bluetooth

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='451579' date='Jul 25 2007, 01:09 AM
I thought that 2007 models and beyond do not have an oil dipstick?
Mine does (and I believe all diesel engines). But in USA you probably will not find diesel powered BMW's.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by simba' post='447617' date='Jul 14 2007, 04:51 AM
My noise turned out to be the steering wheel buttons. Dealer replaced and the noise went away. A week later the noise came back. I'll have to check the OBC buttons now.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:29 AM
Members

similiar problem here rattle/noise whenever driving on rougher road surface

was annoying as hell

culprit turned out to be the metal loop on bmw keyring

Quick Reply: Dash Rattle/Creak Noise Traced