E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In-dash CD remains "on"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 06:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades
Unhappy

I just noticed something weird this morning. Prior to turning the car off last night, I shut-off the in-dash cd by pressing the knob. This is supposed to turn the cd player off.

When I started the car this morning, the player was still off, but the track number had changed. Seems like the player had moved forward about 4 (maybe 5) songs. On occasion, I have turned off the cd player when driving, and it remains at the same position till I turn it back on.

Anybody else experience this??
Old 12-13-2005, 07:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Since about CIP 16.1 mine will stay off until I get back into the car, causing it to re-awaken. After "accept" and pressing the on button I find that several seconds have gone by (but not minutes). I attribute the difference to the CD restarting at "first" wake up. You could test this theory by carefully noting the track and time, hit mute on (CD off) shut down and wait for car to go into sleep mode (15 - 20 minutes or more). Open door, start stopwatch or approximate your time to get up and running as fast as you can, including mute off (CD on) and see where u are on track and time. Let us know what you find.

Apparently there are some systems that may not shut down to the level that mine does, but I have not figured out the hardware/software differences yet.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='210687' date='Dec 13 2005, 10:56 AM
I just noticed something weird this morning. Prior to turning the car off last night, I shut-off the in-dash cd by pressing the knob. This is supposed to turn the cd player off.

When I started the car this morning, the player was still off, but the track number had changed. Seems like the player had moved forward about 4 (maybe 5) songs. On occasion, I have turned off the cd player when driving, and it remains at the same position till I turn it back on.

Interesting, I'll have to check this, as I just put my first CD ever in the stand-alone slot (Ella Christmas CD). I did this just to test it, and what I found is that iDrive doesn't seem to differentiate between the two CD units. I haven't tried to switch to the other unit (glove box), but was pleased with the performance of the dash unit. I do think it returns to random tracks though if you turn the ignition off while it is still playing; at least that's what I thought I noticed Sunday as I was doing short hops.

So, has the dash unit been running all this time? I can't believe that.

Never mind the engine cubic inches; the output specs on the alternator must be stupendous (just as they are on BMW bikes).

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 12-13-2005, 10:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='210687' date='Dec 13 2005, 10:56 AM

Hello JS. Yes, my car does what you describe some of the time. CIP 19.01.01. Our cars are computers, and standing behind them are programers. So, I just expect "little" stuff like our common problem. But, I will pursue a "big" computer issue.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i, silver/black, sports pck, premium sound, cold weather pck, SMG, NAV, sat. radio. Porsche 996 C2 '99

Something similar happend to me twice, the problem in my case was that the phone did not turn off and stayed paired with the car. This causes I- drive not to turn off. The first time it took me 20 min to figure it out. I just manually unpaired the phone from the car and I-drive shot down.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Rafael Montalvo' post='210745' date='Dec 13 2005, 02:04 PM
Something similar happend to me twice, the problem in my case was that the phone did not turn off and stayed paired with the car. This causes I- drive not to turn off. The first time it took me 20 min to figure it out. I just manually unpaired the phone from the car and I-drive shot down.
If your on a Motorola it could be this:

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B841305g.htm
Old 12-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vnod' post='210744' date='Dec 13 2005, 01:03 PM
Hello JS. Yes, my car does what you describe some of the time. CIP 19.01.01. Our cars are computers, and standing behind them are programers. So, I just expect "little" stuff like our common problem. But, I will pursure a "big" computer issue.
Hi vnod: long time no chat?? . I know what you are saying, but after paying 60k for my car, I expect things to be without issues. On the other hand, I understand anything mechanical is liable to fail, so it's a catch 22. It's just annoying/irritating to see such minor bugs.

Getting to the software question, I think we take software issues too lightly (i am talking in general about software and not the folks on this board ). It's unfortunate that software companies can put out products that are buggy and unreliable.

( btw, check out iceman's post from sometime in Sept on the mp3 capability, apparently CIP 20....!!!!!!)
Old 12-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='210799
Hello JS. Yes, my car does what you describe some of the time. CIP 19.01.01. Our cars are computers, and standing behind them are programers. So, I just expect "little" stuff like our common problem. But, I will pursure a "big" computer issue.
Hi vnod: long time no chat?? . I know what you are saying, but after paying 60k for my car, I expect things to be without issues. On the other hand, I understand anything mechanical is liable to fail, so it's a catch 22. It's just annoying/irritating to see such minor bugs.

Getting to the software question, I think we take software issues too lightly (i am talking in general about software and not the folks on this board ). It's unfortunate that software companies can put out products that are buggy and unreliable.

( btw, check out iceman's post from sometime in Sept on the mp3 capability, apparently CIP 20....!!!!!!)
[/quote]Yes, hopefully CIP 20 on MP3. And, I agree about software. I just have gotten used to feeling darn good if my software exhibits only "little" problems. And, I know the software companies are not going to change short of boycotts of new releases--which won't happen. I do think that BMW is behind the auto software curve regardless. How hard can it be to give us the MP3-capability promised?
Old 12-13-2005, 01:02 PM
Contributors

[QUOTE=vnod;210812]
And, I know the software companies are not going to change short of boycotts of new releases--which won't happen.
or the congress passing some law to force software companies to live by the same standards that other companies have to live by.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vnod' post='210812
Originally Posted by vnod' post='210744' date='Dec 13 2005, 01:03 PM

Yes, hopefully CIP 20 on MP3. And, I agree about software. I just have gotten used to feeling darn good if my software exhibits only "little" problems. And, I know the software companies are not going to change short of boycotts of new releases--which won't happen. I do think that BMW is behind the auto software curve regardless. How hard can it be to give us the MP3-capability promised?
[/quote]
Well not just the MP3 issue, but look at the list of bugs/problems reported with each release. Things on the car that did work, won't after upgrade, doing the upgrade itself often results in destroyed hardware components (CCC, DME, TCU, etc), and failed, incomplete or aborted installs as the dealers do the upgrades. Really poor validation process IMO. We appear to be the code verifiers and testers.

Quick Reply: In-dash CD remains "on"?