E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Damp in adaptive headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535D M Sport Carbon Black, 172s, Boot spoiler, Tinted Glass, Media pack, Visabilty Pack, Hifi Upgrade, Electric memory heated Seats, Heated steering Wheel, Sport auto Trans,

Hi has any one had problems with there adaptive headlights steaming up? my car is only 18 months old and the british winter is making the lens on the inside foggy when the dryed out in the sun today i could see water marks.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by andrewsweetnam
Hi has any one had problems with there adaptive headlights steaming up? my car is only 18 months old and the british winter is making the lens on the inside foggy when the dryed out in the sun today i could see water marks.
it has happened to me once when it was 20 degrees and I went through a hot wash... went right away. if it continues to happen I would look into getting ti checked out if your under warranty.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Sluis530
it has happened to me once when it was 20 degrees and I went through a hot wash... went right away. if it continues to happen I would look into getting ti checked out if your under warranty.
+1 You should take pictures and be certain your dealer knows about this problem [sees it and writes in in the car / warranty record even if it isn't fixed at this time] while your car is still in warranty.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535D M Sport Carbon Black, 172s, Boot spoiler, Tinted Glass, Media pack, Visabilty Pack, Hifi Upgrade, Electric memory heated Seats, Heated steering Wheel, Sport auto Trans,

Yes i have still got warranty good idea about getting the dealer to record the damp if it keeps happening the water marks on the inside will only get worse.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

I had the same problem and have a thread on it here. Theres some pictures of mine just over halfway down. Got the lights replaced under warranty any, the new ones have misted a couple of times ever so slightly when its been really heavy rain but nothing like the old ones did.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Metallic Silver Grey M Sport Aero Dynamic Kit | M Sport Suspension | Business Navigation | Sports Front Seats | M Sport Leather Steering Wheel | Sunroof | PDC | 18" M Sport Double Spoke Light Alloy | M Spoiler | LCI Tail Light | HID 6000K 2010 Mazda CX9 Aluminium Metallic

I had the same problem. I got it replaced just before the warranty expired. You might have to keep bothering them though as the dealers are very hesitant to replace it. But speak to your dealer now as it may need to be recorded for a few visits before they will approve it to get it replaced. I had to come in three times over last year for them to agree. Good luck
Old 02-01-2011, 06:06 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Turn on the headlights to burn off the moisture.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Members

Its not the fact that they get damp but there are water marks starting to appear and the make the lights look dirty on the inside.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by DavidF
Turn on the headlights to burn off the moisture.
That doesn't work. Xenons don't burn as hot as halogens and the difference between the hot and cold sides of the lens produces more moisture inside anyway.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Dandle
That doesn't work. Xenons don't burn as hot as halogens and the difference between the hot and cold sides of the lens produces more moisture inside anyway.
It works for mine, especially if I use the "flash to pass" halogens to get things heated up a bit faster. The headlights are vented to atmosphere so the moisture can escape with the expanding heated air inside the light. No way to open them up for cleaning.

Quick Reply: Damp in adaptive headlights