E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

This damn Sat Nav is doing my head in...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 08:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d M Sport, 2006, Carbon Black, 19" Alloys, Leather, Electric Htd Seats, Professional Nav, HUD, TV, Extd Lights, Adaptive Xenons, Logic7, 6 CD, High Beam Assist, Bluetooth Telematics

Had my 535d for 6 months now and used the satnav all over UK and France. DVD is 2006-1 version.
I have to say, the routing is bizarre at times, and damn-right annoying at others. On the same trip (Nottm to Aintree) using the same settings (dynamic is OFF) I have received two completely different routes with 70 miles difference.

I also am able to drive through stationary traffic jams at 70mph that it would seem occured several hours before - either TMC is very slow to update or it is predicting the future.

I have a PDA and the TomTom software which I use for speed cameras (cheaper than RoadAngel) and have noticed that the routing on TomTom is a) quicker, b) more accurate when checked against a map and c) has more up to date traffic info.
I can also get live weather reports on my destination and select addresses from my phone/outlook contacts.

BMW nav = ?1800
TomTom & PDA = ?200

I won't be buying BMW nav again until these types of forums start to report its performance in the same way we've come to expect that of the driving performance.

Don't flame me - just saying what I see....
Old 12-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='366681' date='Dec 12 2006, 11:50 PM
I know that my newer data disc now "makes" some different navigation choices with which I "agree"!!
You may have not noted this point.

If you are using 2006-2 or earlier try updating if you can and feel the difference.

I used TomTom for about three years and Navigon with TMC for about 18 months. I have ditched TomTom, Navigon and all the cables and cradles.

Remember don't blame TMC - it's a data carrier it and simply presents the data it is given. It's fantastic on mainland Europe where the data providers are actually on top of the traffic conditions.

TomTom uses TeleAtlas mapping data (rather than NavTeq) and provides two traffic routing mechanisms, TMC and its own version which is subscription-based and incurs phone charges.

Need to compare apples with apples.

ABC
Old 12-13-2006, 09:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport, 2006, Carbon Black, 19" Alloys, Leather, Electric Htd Seats, Professional Nav, HUD, TV, Extd Lights, Adaptive Xenons, Logic7, 6 CD, High Beam Assist, Bluetooth Telematics

Valid points ABC, but the apples are becoming more alike;

The PDA I have (HTC 3300) is a single unit now with GSM/GPRS/GPS inbuilt. It connects to a single cradle and is up and running well before my "BMW" screen is booted. It was supplied with an external aerial, but I've never needed it - it even works inside my house so long as there is a window in visible range.

The TMC and other GPRS data services are inclusive with my Orange contract - costs me nothing, but I am probably priveledged here. So the Traffic subscription (buy in Euros from TomTom.nl) is all I pay and against the free RDS system, seems worth it.

TomTom Navigator 6 now includes free European speed camera database and updates - a subscription elsewhere, if available at all.

And the TomTom apple seems even rosier, when I park my 535 in a strange town, uncradle the PDA and continue to be guided as I walk through the streets.

It also displays my text messages and emails in a tab window that slides up and then disappears again. No more fumbling in the centre console for the important message from the boss!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hunkins' post='367000' date='Dec 13 2006, 06:18 PM
Valid points ABC, but the apples are becoming more alike;

The PDA I have (HTC 3300) is a single unit now with GSM/GPRS/GPS inbuilt. It connects to a single cradle and is up and running well before my "BMW" screen is booted. It was supplied with an external aerial, but I've never needed it - it even works inside my house so long as there is a window in visible range.

The TMC and other GPRS data services are inclusive with my Orange contract - costs me nothing, but I am probably priveledged here. So the Traffic subscription (buy in Euros from TomTom.nl) is all I pay and against the free RDS system, seems worth it.

TomTom Navigator 6 now includes free European speed camera database and updates - a subscription elsewhere, if available at all.

And the TomTom apple seems even rosier, when I park my 535 in a strange town, uncradle the PDA and continue to be guided as I walk through the streets.

It also displays my text messages and emails in a tab window that slides up and then disappears again. No more fumbling in the centre console for the important message from the boss!
Well I can't find your ?200 TMC TomTom PDA system with integrated GPS antenna and GSM GPRS anywhere. Oh, and it doesn't have a TMC receiver.

I don't know anything about Orange TMC - just TomTom services. I can't understand how TMC which is an FM RDS standard can be associated with Orange which is a cellular phone network provider.

Apples and Apples?

Or making a point?

I've included speedcams on the BMW DVD. Not intuitive but doable.

And yes I've walked around an unfamiliar town with a PDA TomTom GPS. I still could if I wanted to...

ABC

PS Try a newer data DVD.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Nevermind' post='366631' date='Dec 12 2006, 02:48 PM
Ok, so I program in my destination, select shortest route and disable dynamic routing (I also untick TMC, but it keeps coming back again on its own, another story):

This gives me a journey time of 1 Hour and 24 minutes. Journey distance 49miles and a fairly straight route, see below.

So I now, cleverly, select fastest route with no preference regarding motorways and dynamic routing still off:

This gives a journey time of 1 hour 59 minutes and 80 miles with a ridiculous detour around the M18:

Now it does this kind of thing every time I try to program it to go somewhere. To say I have no confidence in it taking the most appropriate route is an understatement. Whilst I appreciate that it may be down to the algorithms, and that it only uses major roads for fastest route, it seems to happen nearly every time which can't be right. If I place my destination just this side of the M1 motorway it actually sometimes produces a route that is reasonable, but not always, so there are some "major" roads running between me and my target. What am I doing wrong?
The Nav is pretty lame. It frequently does not take me in the directions I know to be the shortest, fastest, or whatever. Then, it takes forever to change the route I am traveling when it thinks I am going the wrong way. "Please make a legal U-turn at your next opportunity." Ugh. If it weren't for the big screen, I wouldn't get it again if I get another BMW. The voice commands are worse. For example, if I say "Dial Betty Home," it responds "Audio." And, if I say "yes," it tells me "I didn't understand what you said" or some such thing. Believe me; I know how to speak US English with no regional accent and to enunciate properly.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='367020' date='Dec 13 2006, 07:04 PM
...Then, it takes forever to change the route I am traveling when it thinks I am going the wrong way. ..
No such probs for me. And believe me, our roads are quite convoluted here.

Maybe you're travelling too close to the speed of light and affecting the EM waves!!

I AM familiar with some other nav systems and really don't consider the e60 professional nav unreliable. Certainly not with 2007-1.

ABC