E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

damn! dead battery!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

car started fine 3 times today have the batt disconnected and on a 2 amp charge now for a few hours. pretty amazing the batt got so low from leaving the markers on. doesnt this car automatically turn lights off? i thought it did
Old 12-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Sure you can do what I did for the past 10 years and just by and EverMaxx from Walmart. You have 3 yr warranty....its higher rated than the OEM battery both in CC and Running amps. I never registered a battery and haven't had any issues. When I replace I make sure the entire electrical system is drained first though. In fact I've kept my brand new battery on hand and have been trickling it just in case but i think it's funny after a few years that haven't had any issues with registration. I honestly don't understand what all the gripe is about......it's $65 and that will take you at least into 5 years (3 year warranty and swap it out by end of warranty and you have at least 2+ years on that battery)...small price to pay

Its been discussed many times.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Sure you can do what I did for the past 10 years and just by and EverMaxx from Walmart. You have 3 yr warranty....its higher rated than the OEM battery both in CC and Running amps. I never registered a battery and haven't had any issues. When I replace I make sure the entire electrical system is drained first though. In fact I've kept my brand new battery on hand and have been trickling it just in case but i think it's funny after a few years that haven't had any issues with registration. I honestly don't understand what all the gripe is about......it's $65 and that will take you at least into 5 years (3 year warranty and swap it out by end of warranty and you have at least 2+ years on that battery)...small price to pay

Its been discussed many times.
thanks
Old 12-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

achung what do u mean let the electrical system drain first
Old 12-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
achung what do u mean let the electrical system drain first
On some cars the technique, after removing the battery from the circuit, is to connect the + and - battery cables with a jumper. Remember, that's some cars and AFTER disconnecting and removing the battery. That is supposed to drain any residual electricity from the electronics.

HOWEVER ... and it's a BIG HOWEVER ... I think modern BMWs have some sort of residual electrical charge somewhere / somehow that would permit airbags and other protective stuff to function even with a dead battery. SO ... I'm not sure I'd recommend using this technique on an e60 or any contemporary car.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Metallic Silver 530i - Angel eyes - HID 8000k Fog lights - 20" Zenetti Rogue (flat black with chrome lip) [IMG]http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz294/tedchung_album/car/bmw2.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz294/tedchung_album/car/e60.jpg[/IMG]

I had electrical/battery problems a while back and it was a nightmare. I bought my 2004 530i in 09 and soon after I installed two 10" subs into my car. Shortly afterwards, I kept running into problems. I was driving one day then it went into transmission failsafe mode. Also, when I parked it and locked the car, sometimes the alarm would go off randomly. Eventually, the car just wouldnt start. I guess the battery had died and it could not hold a charge. I went to the dealership and they told me that I had to buy a "special" battery and that it would have to be registered to my car and yada yada yada. Then they told me it was going to be several hundered dollars to buy the battery, get it installed, and then "specially" register to my car.

Im not sure why my battery died. It could have been because it was old or it could have been because of my subs. I was planning on hooking my subs back up since it has just been sitting in my trunk, but disconnected from the battery. The question I have is, I dont have a capacitor installed between the aftermarket amplifier and the battery, do you think this could have been the cause of my battery dying so quickly? Do you think that my amp was drawing too much power from the battery and it over worked it? Would getting a capacitor reduce the amount of strain put on the battery? I do not want to re-install my subs and have it kill my battery again because I'm not about to shell out another 500 dollars or so to get a new battery.

If anyone could help me out that would be great. I'm planning on taking my car into a different audio store and having them check it out as well.