E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Damaged Tire

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beamlord
Some good news.

I was at a big tire shop, and they told me almost immediately that this is nothing to worry about! He said it's just a thin slice off of the rim protector and he was very confident about it being safe. What makes me confident is that he was obvoiusly interested in having it replaced as he would then have business. He went even as far as peeling the slice with fingers (which I didn't have guts to do myself) and I saw that it's really a surface cut.
But I wanted to be sure and went to a smaller tire shop where they told me basically the same and actually laughed at my worries. They said the rubber that has a cut in it, is the rim protector part which is molded in addition over the actual tire and doesn't play a role in actual tire structure.

Whew !

Bad news is, the aesthetics are unrecoverable. Both guys told me that there is no way to "glue" the cut because whatever you do, it will not hold in the long run. So this will look a bit ugly.
Theoretically, they could cut off the slice, and patch the "dent" with liquid rubber, but there is no guarantee it will hold, and it could eventually look even worse.
You lucked out this time

I think you could try some black silicone seal and see if it will adhere to the sliver of rubber. I'd keep it it taped down and Let it cure for 24 hours and see if it works for you.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i wagon

Originally Posted by luigi524td
I think you could try some black silicone seal and see if it will adhere to the sliver of rubber. I'd keep it it taped down and Let it cure for 24 hours and see if it works for you.
I would recommend that you not attempt a cosmetic repair with black silicone rubber or other similar material.
-Chances are that you will not get durable adhesion to the tire sidewall with such materials. The heat and flexing of the tire during driving will make adhesion difficult.
-The color match will be an issue and the attempted repair may draw one's eye to the damage. It is unlikely that black silicone will be the same shade of black or that its surface will pick-up surface dirt and other contaminants in the same manner as the regular tire surface to provide an invisible match.
-In the unlikely event the surface damage becomes more serious, you want to be able to readily inspect this area. The last thing you want to do from a safety standpoint is to camouflage the cut.

There is a good probability that few persons other than you will even notice the damaged area.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Get a new tire beamlord and NOW!

That is not a safe tire no more!

No side rips can be fixed.

Also check the rim.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i 2007 750i

Originally Posted by Michiganmike
I would recommend that you not attempt a cosmetic repair with black silicone rubber or other similar material.
-Chances are that you will not get durable adhesion to the tire sidewall with such materials. The heat and flexing of the tire during driving will make adhesion difficult.
-The color match will be an issue and the attempted repair may draw one's eye to the damage. It is unlikely that black silicone will be the same shade of black or that its surface will pick-up surface dirt and other contaminants in the same manner as the regular tire surface to provide an invisible match.
-In the unlikely event the surface damage becomes more serious, you want to be able to readily inspect this area. The last thing you want to do from a safety standpoint is to camouflage the cut.

There is a good probability that few persons other than you will even notice the damaged area.
Yeah those are some healthy considerations, I think I should just leave it as is.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

As your tyre guy said the tyre is fine. Its just part of the rim protector and if you can't see the cords it's ok.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530d M-Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Dakota Black Leather, Professional Nav. Hardwired Road Angel + Laser, De-Swirl Flapped!!

A couple of things to note - I'm glad that you've been given the green-light on keeping the original on, but as others have said, I would be against an aesthetic repair as firstly, it will look like and secondly, it will make it trickier to monitor the state of the tyre. I hit a pothole the size of a small city and put a bulge in the sidewall the size of a 1Euro coin. Again, my tyre guy said that as they were run-flats, and the damage wasn't deep, I could keep driving on it, but should keep an eye on it. For 8,000 miles it was good, and then one morning the bulge got bigger, and by the end of the day the tyre was toast.

Good luck, drive safe, and if it even begins to look worse change it.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

I had the same cut as you on my old car and I dont what to take the risk over $200 tyre so I change it.