E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Damaged Msport bumper cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 05:29 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport
Default Damaged Msport bumper cover

Need some advice. This is something my Ex Wife would do, however I must take all the blame for being an idiot. I pulled into a parking spot while out of town last weekend. The spot had a low curb stop, about 3inches tall, small enough to clear with the M type front bumper. What I didnt clear was the rebar spike sticking up, used to anchor the curb stop. Of course I didnt find out until I backed out of the spot and my bumper was mangled and hanging from the passenger side. I was able to pop most of it back in, but it wont go all the way back in and true as it was before. If I hit some major bumps, it pops out again and looks like garbage. That is not acceptable to me.

Damaged Msport bumper cover-photo-1.jpg

Damaged Msport bumper cover-photo-3.jpg

Damaged Msport bumper cover-photo-2.jpg

I stopped by the BMW recommend body shop with the hopes that they would be able to remove the cover, assess, repair what was bent or damaged and replace the cover. Fingers crossed that it was just some labor costs. I have used these guys in the past fixing my Ex Wifes car...multiple times, and they are reputable. (USAA insurance recommended)

Was told that I needed a whole new cover. Said once the clips/tabs get damaged that there was not much short of duct tape and glue to keep the cover in place. SO now Im looking at a insurance claim of $500. Not bad I guess....

Any Thoughts? Should I ask for the cover back? Is it worth any money in its condition?

As always, thanks for any input.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 550 M Sport Pkg

Glad to see a fellow member from Columbia SC. I have already been through 2 M Sport bumpers and have the 2nd one in my office. If the tabs are torn, its kind of a gamble but I was told by John Harris Body Shop that they could be welded back together. I think I was quoted around 500 to have my spare bumper repaired and repainted which would be your deductable.

If you are wanting to replace with an OE bumper cover, plan on spending around 800 for the bumper cover and 500 to prep and paint.

Craig
Old 11-27-2012, 06:48 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cpcalkins
Glad to see a fellow member from Columbia SC. I have already been through 2 M Sport bumpers and have the 2nd one in my office. If the tabs are torn, its kind of a gamble but I was told by John Harris Body Shop that they could be welded back together. I think I was quoted around 500 to have my spare bumper repaired and repainted which would be your deductable.

If you are wanting to replace with an OE bumper cover, plan on spending around 800 for the bumper cover and 500 to prep and paint.

Craig
Craig, thanks for the input. I am working with John Harris on Two Notch. Was told about 900 for cover and around 1200-1500 total for paint and install. Ball park estimate. It goes in Friday for the estimate and repair. The tabs on the bumper dont look torn, just a bit torqued out of position. I think at this point I will ask for it back in case I bulldoze another curb stop.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

If it's not damaged outside you can repair it very easily. I had the same problem and fixed mine. Sadly, mine was damaged. There is a small crack and I can repair this too, but just haven't had the time. I didn't create a DIY but I did take a couple pics, I can shoot you my number and explain it to you. I am in Greenville.
I have the Umnitza bumper and the locking tabs are not as strong as OEM. I broke the first tabs during adjusting while installing. But in the end, the price was ok. The damaged came when I got too close to a curb and heard it, then backed up. The spoiler bit in and peeled the bumper back like a banana! I went to lowes and purchased a thin piece strip of aluminum, cut it to shape, filed it to a better shape and used a few stron rivet tp secure it. Then positioned the wing and drilled a hole thought the metal that I just installed. Put a small speed clip on the back side and used the same screw. You can see the small crack, and I plan to repair that later.

Last edited by tonyb635; 11-27-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.
Default Pics

Here are the pics
Attached Thumbnails Damaged Msport bumper cover-b2.jpg   Damaged Msport bumper cover-b1.jpg  
Old 11-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

absolutely repairable. find a shop with plastic welder. hell, panel bond could hold that together too. there is no BMW expertise required for the type of damage you have.

the collision repair industry has migrated away from the 'repair' industry towards an industry of 'parts changers'.

If you do end up having that cover replaced, absolutely get it back and sell it off to either a private party or a company that will refurbish it for resale.

Last edited by KyleB; 11-27-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:11 AM
Senior Members

One other thing you can check is if the receiver slots on the bumper are broke. If so, you will have to repair it so that it will grab the black receiver that is mounted to the lower surface of the fender. The mounted receiver strip has 2-3 locks that receive and hold the bumper wing. You can replace this part if its broken.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:29 AM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks Kyle and Tony. Tony ill give you a shout soon.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Hmmm...Looks like it just popped out. Have somebody push the front bumper in just bellow the headlight while you push the popped end inside towards the driver's side. Then have the person pushing from the front release. Other than that, I wouldn't spend over $500 to fix that. I woud jury rig something up. There are threads here that explains how to remove the front bumper itself to help you out. Good luck!