E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Damaged front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

Not sure how to word this topic, but here goes, I'm on my 3rd E60, 04,07 and now an 09 all with sport pkg. but for some reason this car is way lower to the ground than my other two. I've screwed up my bumper for the second time today, dam I'm pissed, the first time I thought that the parking bumper was a little high and maybe I wasn't careful enough. My dealer was able to refit it for the low price of $500.00.

Today, it happened again in front of my office where the parking bumpers are new and all level, what gives why did BMW make these bumpers so low, I know the car has new M style bumpers and side skirts, but they still need to be usable.

Am I the only idiot with this problem or are others having similar issues?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jochet' post='904785' date='Jun 8 2009, 06:05 PM
Not sure how to word this topic, but here goes, I'm on my 3rd E60, 04,07 and now an 09 all with sport pkg. but for some reason this car is way lower to the ground than my other two. I've screwed up my bumper for the second time today, dam I'm pissed, the first time I thought that the parking bumper was a little high and maybe I wasn't careful enough. My dealer was able to refit it for the low price of $500.00.

Today, it happened again in front of my office where the parking bumpers are new and all level, what gives why did BMW make these bumpers so low, I know the car has new M style bumpers and side skirts, but they still need to be usable.

Am I the only idiot with this problem or are others having similar issues?

u got ripped off btw

im slammed and i am just careful how i drive in some areas
Old 06-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

i did that before when i first got an m3. you just got to learn to not pull up too far. stay back.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

Originally Posted by turboawd' post='904791' date='Jun 8 2009, 09:19 PM
i did that before when i first got an m3. you just got to learn to not pull up too far. stay back.
+1
Old 06-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

I fit the car right in the middle of the parking spot. No need to hang the front or the rear of the vehicle over the parking bumper or into the sidewalk. Save the sidewalk width for pedestrians, strollers, wheelchairs, shopping carts etc. I no longer approach the sidewalk or the parking bumper. With this habit, I park my E60 Sport/M-Tech, Lexus LS, or any of my other cars/truck without incident.

Sidewalks and parking bumpers come with different heights. Even parking bumpers in the same lot. Damaged parking bumpers are replaced with bumpers of different heights. The iron rods (rebar) that hold the bumpers to the ground sometimes stick up a few inches! Try placing the front or rear end of the vehicle over that iron rod in the dark!

When approaching a bump, so down sufficiently to that you can release the brake just before reaching the bump. This gives you a few precious extra millimeters of ground clearance because you are not compressing your front springs with your brake. As always, angle your way up and down an inclined ramp or driveway.

--Victor
Old 06-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

I have had similar problems on my last three 5s. The E34 M5 was a bear - but learned to not pull too far ahead after driving over a concrete bumper bar held in place by two upright rebars sticking up 3 inches above the concrete. Ouch!

My current 535xiT, with the M-Sport pac does not seem to be too low. Perhaps BMW does not lower M-sport cars with X-Drive

Since I have park distance - I have often thought that it would be nice if PDC had a monitor just for high bumper bars - usually just after making contact.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride:

Originally Posted by Hopco' post='904914' date='Jun 8 2009, 10:21 PM
I have had similar problems on my last three 5s. The E34 M5 was a bear - but learned to not pull too far ahead after driving over a concrete bumper bar held in place by two upright rebars sticking up 3 inches above the concrete. Ouch!

My current 535xiT, with the M-Sport pac does not seem to be too low. Perhaps BMW does not lower M-sport cars with X-Drive

Since I have park distance - I have often thought that it would be nice if PDC had a monitor just for high bumper bars - usually just after making contact.
Off topic, but... Your new car looks great!!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 (07/03) 530i, Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Leather, Premium Package, Sports Package, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenons, euro red reflectors, K/N air filter, Falken 452's

Ummm, errrmm, , my wife has done this several times. She's scored up both sides of the front, plus detached the parking stop feeler underneath, don't know how she manages. Then again this is the same woman that backed over my lawnmower and kept going (not in the e60 thankfully).

Do you have a lawnmower Jocet? JUST KIDDING!

I always park short of the parking stop/curb, whatever is there.
My solution is to leave it for now, and when I get her a car of her own to destroy I'll take sole possesion and put on the M body kit.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

I have the Hamann lip and no issues just be careful...I always reverse in and park. Opps...but my wife did scrape the bottom of it one time when she drove it.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

Originally Posted by khooger' post='905464' date='Jun 9 2009, 12:55 PM
I have the Hamann lip and no issues just be careful...I always reverse in and park. Opps...but my wife did scrape the bottom of it one time when she drove it.
I appreciate everyones advice, it's not that easy to park short of the curb or parking bumper all the time, no doubt, I'll try. The real question I have and maybe I should have worded my topic better would be, is the bumper on the 2009 550 with sports pkg to low. The car is very cool and looks great, but guys I have had 3 E60's all with sports package and 4 3 series cars also with sports package, I've never had this problem before. Why can't BMW offer the same looks with another inch of clearance, or is this a profit center for the dealers???

Quick Reply: Damaged front bumper