E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damaged blemished Nav screen

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 05:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I broke my own rule..which is make them write it down or refuse the car.
I had my car in for service for the first time since purchased (6 mos)yesterday. On the 'to do' list was to order,replace or fix some marks on the Nav screen which were there when I bought the car. They look like water marks at the time I thought someone just missed wiping it clean. I took delivery, but when I got home I realized the marks were in the plastic. The next week when I went to get my plates I showed the salesman.
Well, the service dept told me yesterday it wouldn't be under warrantee. Also, the screen is part of the whole i drive unit, not a separate part and is $1100.00 part!! OUCH!! I'm going to speak to the salesman and manager to see if they are willing to do something for me....I'm not holding my breath.
I'm annoyed at myself for letting it go so long..Sux for me...I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:25 AM
Senior Members

I thought the CID was a separate part - the iDrive and CID together certainly cost more than $1100.

Regardless, hopefully the salesman will recall that you showed this to him. I guess the important thing is, when you showed it to him, did he agree to fix it?
Old 02-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='529221' date='Feb 9 2008, 10:25 AM
I thought the CID was a separate part - the iDrive and CID together certainly cost more than $1100.

Regardless, hopefully the salesman will recall that you showed this to him. I guess the important thing is, when you showed it to him, did he agree to fix it?
I just guessing here but it's likely that they're referring to "iDrive" as the entire CID instead of just the plastic screen being replaceable.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='529240' date='Feb 9 2008, 11:43 AM
I just guessing here but it's likely that they're referring to "iDrive" as the entire CID instead of just the plastic screen being replaceable.
probably true
Old 02-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Contributors

You wrote: "On the 'to do' list was to order,replace or fix some marks on the Nav screen which were there when I bought the car. They look like water marks at the time I thought someone just missed wiping it clean. I took delivery, but when I got home I realized the marks were in the plastic. The next week when I went to get my plates I showed the salesman. "

If the to do was an "I Owe You" - pretty common in the car business it was noted as a defect at delivery no matter how long before you brought the car in for service. The defect was noted at delivery - your sales person should fight that battle with the service manager.

I do agree, get it fixed when first reported ... or at least make certain someone with the proper level of authority writes it down and you keep the document !

A clean conscience often results from a bad memory!
Old 02-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='529221' date='Feb 9 2008, 10:25 AM

Yes, at the time. But he also said it would clean off. we'll see.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='529281' date='Feb 9 2008, 03:05 PM
You wrote: "On the 'to do' list was to order,replace or fix some marks on the Nav screen which were there when I bought the car. They look like water marks at the time I thought someone just missed wiping it clean. I took delivery, but when I got home I realized the marks were in the plastic. The next week when I went to get my plates I showed the salesman. "

If the to do was an "I Owe You" - pretty common in the car business it was noted as a defect at delivery no matter how long before you brought the car in for service. The defect was noted at delivery - your sales person should fight that battle with the service manager.

I do agree, get it fixed when first reported ... or at least make certain someone with the proper level of authority writes it down and you keep the document !

A clean conscience often results from a bad memory!
Like I said, I broke my own rule....he's a nice guy and he won't deny that I showed him; but that somehow may not be good enough if it comes down to the dealer or bmw buying an expensive part they don't have to.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I had somewhat of a similar experience -- took my car in for a service and it came back with scratches on my iDrive clear reflector cover. I am ANAL about not putting anything on that little slope that flows back to the screen so took the car right back and DEMANDED for them to replace or repair it.

Long story short -- they had ordered me a whole new part BUT were able to get the scratches off so I accepted that. They used some kind of buffer solution and it looks as good as new. See if they can get that done for you. In my experience, the less you have these guys at Service messing with your car to change parts out for no real reason -- the better off your car will be....

Just my two cents...
Old 02-10-2008, 03:38 AM
Senior Members

Interesting about the buffing thing to remove your scratches because that's what the salesman originally said to me...I agree about, letting the dealer do as little as possible.