E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

damaged black strip on bottom of front fender

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i, Alpine White, auto, premium package, nav, cold weather package, euro red reflectors

I've had the car 3 weeks and already a boo-boo. Apparently, there is a black protecter on the bottom of the front of the car. Mine was hanging off the car today! That must be what happened when I heard a scraping sound as I parked the car the other day. I like to pull up as far as possible in a corner slot so there is less of a likelihood of getting dinged. But there is not much clearance under the front of the car, is there?! Anyone else had this problem?
Old 11-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by lattelady' post='198725' date='Nov 15 2005, 06:38 PM
I've had the car 3 weeks and already a boo-boo. Apparently, there is a black protecter on the bottom of the front of the car. Mine was hanging off the car today! That must be what happened when I heard a scraping sound as I parked the car the other day. I like to pull up as far as possible in a corner slot so there is less of a likelihood of getting dinged. But there is not much clearance under the front of the car, is there?! Anyone else had this problem?
I sympathize with you. I have been dreading developing the problem--which I haven't yet. It must happen very frequently--just one little misjudgment will do it. And, the sides hang down lower than the front. I am surprised some enterprising sort has not come up with a protector protector. Is the protector hard to replace? I didn't even know that there is a protector. I though that we were completely naked (to the risk).
Old 11-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by donv' post='198792
I sympathize with you. I have been dreading developing the problem--which I haven't yet. It must happen very frequently--just one little misjudgment will do it. And, the sides hang down lower than the front. I am surprised some enterprising sort has not come up with a protector protector. Is the protector hard to replace? I didn't even know that there is a protector. I though that we were completely naked (to the risk).
[/quote]
Hey gang. Is there a strip or not? Are we naked? I'll get under the car in the morning.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525i, Alpine White, auto, premium package, nav, cold weather package, euro red reflectors

Originally Posted by donv' post='198857
Originally Posted by lattelady' post='198725' date='Nov 15 2005, 06:38 PM
Hey gang. Is there a strip or not? Are we naked? I'll get under the car in the moring.
[/quote]

Anybody take a look?
Old 11-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lattelady' post='199084
Originally Posted by donv' post='198792' date='Nov 15 2005, 09:36 PM
[quote name='lattelady' post='198725' date='Nov 15 2005, 06:38 PM']
Hey gang. Is there a strip or not? Are we naked? I'll get under the car in the moring.
[/quote]

Anybody take a look?
[/quote]There is a black strip. But, it can hardly be thought of as a protector. You'd have to be very lucky if it protected anything. It looks to me like the painted surface would be more likely to protect the plastic (or rubber) "protector."
Old 11-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Originally Posted by lattelady' post='198725' date='Nov 15 2005, 04:38 PM
I did that early in my ownership (caught it on a parking berm and pulled it loose when I backed away) - it was easy to snap back on and I've had no more problems with it (now that I've actually learned where the front end of the car is...).

Cheers, Jon.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Both my last SE and current M model catch on speed bumps, kerbs etc. Its only the underneath though so no worries.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='199121
I did that early in my ownership (caught it on a parking berm and pulled it loose when I backed away) - it was easy to snap back on and I've had no more problems with it (now that I've actually learned where the front end of the car is...).

Cheers, Jon.
[/quote]
Yep, I now know too, but I feel confident I'll make a mistake someday. I am lucky (?) enough to park in disabled parking (motorcycle wreck in early 70's), and the-all-knowing ones install double curbs so that the precisious disabled signs don't get bumped. Sometimes the auxilliary curbs are extra high--not that the regular curbs also aren't extra high some of the time. So, to keep from hanging out of the disabled spaces into parking-lot traffic, I have to get as far forward as I can.