E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Damage by Tow truck Driver...should I fix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 06:58 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades
Smile

I had my car towed recently due to a transmission cooler failure, and the tow truck driver used a screw driver to pop the tow hitch cover open, consequently damaging the front bumper a little. (I have photos at home that I will post later). It's actually about a screw driver width. I know a few others have had similar damage to their bumpers.

I just got some quotes from auto body shops and I was a bit surprised at the estimate - $580 and $605 - to remove the bumper, sand and patch the area, paint the area, and apply clear coat, etc... Of course, I am getting the tow truck company pay for it.

I am probably going to go forward with fixing it (even though its not generally very noticable, I know it's there). Question is what will you guys/gals do?? Will it affect the resale if I get it painted?? Also, what is the cost to get a new front bumper instead? M-Tech !!!!

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, it happened so fast, I couldn't prevent the driver form using the screw driver. I had just turned to talk to the police officer when the guy took the screw driver at it.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='396671' date='Feb 28 2007, 09:58 AM
I had my car towed recently due to a transmission cooler failure, and the tow truck driver used a screw driver to pop the tow hitch cover open, consequently damaging the front bumper a little. (I have photos at home that I will post later). It's actually about a screw driver width. I know a few others have had similar damage to their bumpers.

I just got some quotes from auto body shops and I was a bit surprised at the estimate - $580 and $605 - to remove the bumper, sand and patch the area, paint the area, and apply clear coat, etc... Of course, I am getting the tow truck company pay for it.

I am probably going to go forward with fixing it (even though its not generally very noticable, I know it's there). Question is what will you guys/gals do?? Will it affect the resale if I get it painted?? Also, what is the cost to get a new front bumper instead? M-Tech !!!!

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, it happened so fast, I couldn't prevent the driver form using the screw driver. I had just turned to talk to the police officer when the guy took the screw driver at it.
i just had my car brought to the dealership a week ago on a flatbed and the driver did the same thing. He started looking for the screw driver and used it to remove the hitch cover. It's good he didn't scratch or damage the bumper. Upon checking my car at noontime that day at the dealership my interior was all dirty with grease on the door sidings.

You might want to check with the dealership if they will cover the damage done by the tow truck. If you did call roadside assistance to have your car towed then it's their liability I guess. Goodluck.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='396671' date='Feb 28 2007, 10:58 AM

I would go for the M-tech front. Its soo much nicer. Check with quad m for pricing, I think he might even sell them painted.
Check this link: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=30286
Old 02-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='396671' date='Feb 28 2007, 10:58 AM
Will it affect the resale if I get it painted??
No. Repainting metal panels decrease resale value. Repainting plastic bumpers have no affect on resale value - ppl do it all the time. Owners who drive their car hard respray their bumper due to rock chips every few years (or get clearbra).
Old 02-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Well, those covers are so damn tough to remove that you sometimes need a screwdriver. But when you are working on a tow truck you should know how to do it without damaging the car... I can...

Anyways, the towing company is responsible for the damage and has to pay for it...
Old 03-01-2007, 03:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Here's the photo of the damage....

Damage by Tow truck Driver...should I fix?-dsc01726.jpg
Old 03-01-2007, 04:12 AM
Contributors

i say leave it, its too small to fix. your paint wont look the same again unless you paint the whole bumper. a real car lover can immediately tell if you repair something that small, but if you repaint your whole bumper then its a different story. anyways, I wouldn't do anything to it. just leave it.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Titanium Silver, Step, Black Interior, Sports Pkg.,CWP,Comfort Access, Nav, Premium Sound, Sat. Radio

I say leave it as well. It's very tiny. Wait until you get a few more nicks/stone chips, then get a new M-tech front painted by Tony (quad-m).
Old 03-01-2007, 07:38 AM
Members

My Ride: (June '05) E60 530d Sport, Silver Grey, Blk leather, Auto, BT, Comms package, 6-disk multichanger,.......£1302 for a dealer fitted towbar.........

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='397080' date='Mar 1 2007, 01:12 PM
i say leave it, its too small to fix. your paint wont look the same again unless you paint the whole bumper. a real car lover can immediately tell if you repair something that small, but if you repaint your whole bumper then its a different story. anyways, I wouldn't do anything to it. just leave it.
I agree. You could have it all sorted, then drive down the road and get a stone chip bigger than that.
Nobody who see's your car is going to notice that anyway. We won't tell anyone
Old 03-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

I'm going to have to agree with everyone else on here. I actually did something similar when I removed my painted reflectors to install the euro red ones

Quick Reply: Damage by Tow truck Driver...should I fix?