E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Damage to bonnet

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 02:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d Sport Touring, Carbon Black, Dakota Black Leather, Maple Wood interior trim "How much more black could this be? And the answer is ‘None. None...more black’ " - David St Hubbins, Spinal Tap

****!!! Looks like someone has rested/placed a large box or bag or something on the passenger side of the bonnet - the result is clumps of fine and not so fine scratches/scrapes across half the bonnet, plus two shallow and narrow three-inch depressions/dents midway up. There was also some weird, milky covered residue on top of the damaged areas, which has proved very difficult to remove.

Scumbags and cheap lousy maggots, as The Pogues once put it.

This just six months after we had to have the whole bonnet detailed/repaired (though not at our cost) after some goon at the dealership scratched it to buggery while valeting the car.

I'll have to live with it for a while, but when I take the car in for its oil service I guess I'll try and get it fixed. I assume it should be quite easy to remove the dents? Previous conversations with dealers (about door dings) suggested there is some machine they use.... no doubt it will cost me though, and having had to claim on some hit-and-run accident damage last year (which was why the car was being in the dealership being valeted, which led to the previous bonnet damage), it'll be coming out my own pocket.

****!!!!!

(Rant over, thanks for listening).
Old 03-28-2006, 03:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by idoru' post='261196' date='Mar 28 2006, 11:46 AM
I'll have to live with it for a while, but when I take the car in for its oil service I guess I'll try and get it fixed. I assume it should be quite easy to remove the dents? Previous conversations with dealers (about door dings) suggested there is some machine they use.... no doubt it will cost me though, and having had to claim on some hit-and-run accident damage last year (which was why the car was being in the dealership being valeted, which led to the previous bonnet damage), it'll be coming out my own pocket.
I've used a local company 'Dent Devils' and they charge ?75 per panel to remove up to 3 dents - worth every penny! You're bound to have a similar company near you? (Dent Devils is a well known company)

Often dealers pass business on to these sorts of company - best to go direct...
Old 03-28-2006, 03:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d Sport Touring, Carbon Black, Dakota Black Leather, Maple Wood interior trim "How much more black could this be? And the answer is ‘None. None...more black’ " - David St Hubbins, Spinal Tap

Originally Posted by colejl' post='261226' date='Mar 28 2006, 01:09 PM
I've used a local company 'Dent Devils' and they charge ?75 per panel to remove up to 3 dents - worth every penny! You're bound to have a similar company near you? (Dent Devils is a well known company)
Thanks for the suggestion - I take it you were obviously satisfied with their work. Can I ask what they fixed for you? Do they come out, or do they have premises? I'm often in/around Essex.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by idoru' post='261251' date='Mar 28 2006, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestion - I take it you were obviously satisfied with their work. Can I ask what they fixed for you? Do they come out, or do they have premises? I'm often in/around Essex.
Very satisfied - I've used them twice with great results...

I had 3 different dents in the drivers door and they removed all of them. One was done by me opening my door onto the wife's door mirror creating a horrible crease - completely gone without trace! Done within an hour too!

They have their own premises, have a look here: DentDevils

The local Beemer main dealer uses them but I'm sure they'd charge a slight premium...
Old 03-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

The bonnet/hood is made of aluminum and it may not be reapairable using the same paintelss dent removal methods used for steel sheetmetal. Hopefully, that is not the case for you, but I've heard of people replacing the bonnet/hood rather than repairing it. There is also a special primer process used, so make sure whoever you have work on it understands what they are getting into or your long term results may not be good.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='261605' date='Mar 28 2006, 11:11 PM
The bonnet/hood is made of aluminum and it may not be reapairable using the same paintelss dent removal methods used for steel sheetmetal. Hopefully, that is not the case for you, but I've heard of people replacing the bonnet/hood rather than repairing it. There is also a special primer process used, so make sure whoever you have work on it understands what they are getting into or your long term results may not be good.
That's a good point about the aluminium... Best to check with the experts.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='261776' date='Mar 29 2006, 09:02 AM
That's a good point about the aluminium... Best to check with the experts.
Will do. Thanks.